“Warm & Friendly” 5 of 5 stars
Review of O'Neills Victorian Pub & Townhouse

You added O'Neills Victorian Pub & Townhouse to your Saves list
O'Neills Victorian Pub & Townhouse
3.5 of 5 Guest house   |   36/37 Pearse Street | Dublin City Centre, Dublin 2, Ireland   |
Offers & Announcements
Free room upgrade
Ranked #55 of 163 Dublin B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Springfield Township, NJ
“Warm & Friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

o'Neills was the last of four hotels we were staying at during our whirlwind tour of Ireland. It was just what we needed. Hughie, Jerry and their staff were the nicest people we met while in Ireland. The room was clean and big and the bathroom was great. I have talked about O'Neills and their friendly service good food and Red Ale more than once since we are home.

Thanks for a great stay

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Gerry N, Owner at O'Neills Victorian Pub & Townhouse, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
We very much enjoyed having you stay with us and glad you to hear you too enjoyed it so much but I hope it is not too long before we can serve you another pint of O'Neills Red Ale.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

i came here for dinner as was recommended by a local friend. lovely venue, lovely stay, delicious menu of all traditional hearty meals! the staff were lovely. so reasonably priced as well. will go back 100 percent when back in dublin!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Gerry N, Owner at O'Neills Victorian Pub & Townhouse, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Glad you enjoyed your stay and looking forward to seeing you again
Washington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I was a little concerned, giving up the modern hotels in favor of room above a pub, but at the same time, that was part of what drew me to it! I'm so glad I took the gamble. It's located only 2-3 blocks from O'Connell Street (the main throughfare of Dublin) and the Temple Bar area - so visitors have the benefits of sleeping in a quiet location, but easy access to all the sights of Dublin!

The rooms are located above the pub, so check-in consists of bellying up to the bar. Just note, this is a truly quaint pub and hotel, so there's no elevator hidden in a corner. You have to carry your bags up the stairs to your room. In my case (ladened with sourvenirs from all over Ireland) the very nice man checking me in (owner?) helped carry my bags up.

The rooms are quaint - small, with creaking wooden floors under the carpeting. But the beds were clean and comfortable, and there were small decorative touches to make you feel at home. No clocks, but then again, not one hotel I stayed at in Ireland had a clock in the room. The bathrooms have been renovated and are modern and spacious.

The absolute best part of O'Neill's is the pub. It's the quintessenial Irish pub, with low lighting, warm dark wood covering every surface, with nooks and corners hiding secluded areas for contemplating my memories of Ireland over a sip of Jameson.

I stayed at O'Neill's over St. Patrick's Day, arguably the busiest time of the year, yet service was exceptional. The man at the bar (owner?) was able to book me a cab for a 4:30am pickup, and went above and beyond to locate an alarm clock for me to use to wake up in time for the cab :)

If I'm ever back in Dublin again, I'm definitely staying here and spending more quality time in the pub.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Gerry N, Owner at O'Neills Victorian Pub & Townhouse, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
I'm glad that you did take the 'gamble' and stay with us and I'm also delighted to hear you liked our pub which has been in our family for over a hundred years - hence the creaky floorboards. We were delighted to have you stay with us and hope its not too long before we can welcome you back here again
Rotherham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Trip of 6 adults for few days - called in for Guinness day one already eaten but saw the amazing food that came out and we decided to eat there the next day. We all had the carvery it was delicious , very generous portions & good value for Dublin as is expensive in anyone's wallet. Don't traipse round for ages go here you won't be dissapointed .

• Stayed February 2013
Waterford, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

great location for a city break with excellent value for money ! very friendly staff , only downside is that the bar was closed on the sunday(nature of the beast) and we had to ring to be let in ! but the friendliness made up for the 5 minute wait!! a very homely and warm establishment! would certainly stay there again!! =)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Gerry N, Owner at O'Neills Victorian Pub & Townhouse, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and hopefully we will see you here again sometime.
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I celebrated NYE 2012 in Dublin.
It was the second time I visited Dublin and I stayed the same place as the first time I was here. At O'Neills Victorian Pub & Townhouse.
It was bitterly cold but the people I met made me feel warmer. That was true for Dublin in general as well for O'Neills pub. O'Neill is always friendly and helpful. He made sure that I was ok before he left for his own new year celebration. And the kitchen was open again the next morning.
I enjoyed staying in Dublin for several reasons. The pub was one of them.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your kind comments and we hope to see you again someday in Dublin .
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

First, yes, you get what you pay for...in Dublin...in January... Overall for under 100 euro a night and the location you are to everything- you can't get much better. However, as an avid reader of trip advisor and a person who deals everyday in hotel sales and customer service, I was very excited about stayin at o'neills- due the reviews and to it being over a pub, atmosphere, etc. I could be wrong but to stay at a bed and breakfast, one has an expectation for friendly warm customer service. That was not the case here. I know the 'brothers' are busy- but if you are running a b'n'b- then I think you need to hire some friendlier staff that are around a bit more. After calling a few weeks prior to arrival- followed up by an email letting them know that we were taking a red eye- we showed up to nobody answering the bell- as we stood in the rain for over 20min- I finally asked some nearby workers to help me find someone- which they did and promptly found Gerry to let us in. Gerry checked us in quickly and did allow us to get a room immediately to try and get some sleep- which we did greatly appreciate. I had added a 3rd nite stay which they did not have in their system and Gerry told me that they would probably have to move us for our 3rd night (which they did to our dismay). We knew we would prob never get up early enough for brekky so I can't comment on that- also- being that it was January- I guess that's their 'painting' month- the whole place stunk of paint which didn't help with our jet lag. Also their were no singers at the pub the entire time we were there since it was an 'off' month- however, when we did get back to our room on the Friday night- we did hear Irish singing coming from the pub... It would've been nice to know that that was happening beforehand...all in all- for the money we spent, it was ok. Again- it could've been due to it being off season but we have decided to book another hotel for our 1 night layover in Dublin in 2 weeks for a cheaper price and hopefully a new Irish experience...no offense Gerry...

• Stayed January 2013
Gerry N, General Manager at O'Neills Victorian Pub & Townhouse, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your comprehensive review which helps us remedy things that we may not notice ourselves. I apologise that you were left waiting outside on your arrival as we were busy preparing breakfast for guests at that particular time and did not hear the doorbell. I have asked our maintenance man to install a louder bell to avoid this happening again. I'm delighted you appreciated getting your early morning check in, it was still dark outside and you both looked exhausted so I offered you the only available room I had, which unfortunately has been painted the previous day.

We pride ourselves in our appearance and repainting our rooms in January is an unavoidable annual event for us. This is our quietest time of the year so it makes sense for us to do it at this time. We always use low odor paint where possible, and we also reward guests who stay here then with our lowest room rates of the year at €59.00 per night. I apologise for moving you but I mistakenly thought you might appreciate changing to a room that had no paint odors.

The music on the Friday night was an impromptu affair of which we had no prior knowledge of, so even if you had let us know that you liked Trad Music, we could not have informed you in advance, . I hope your stay with us was not unduly spoiled by any of the above and hopefully you may give us another try when in Dublin again

Been to O'Neills Victorian Pub & Townhouse? Share your experiences!