“Beside the fire!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
California
“Beside the fire!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

The title refers to the fact that The Wild Goose is located beside Wong's restaurant which is currently being rebuilt after a fire!

Four of us had dinner in The Wild Goose last week. It was my wife and my second time in the restaurant. We had a great experience. Being Father's Day the restaurant was very busy. Being a Sunday they had their all-day brunch menu, which has a wide choice and is very good value for money. I had excellent goose (very appropriate!), my wife had fish and our relatives both had chicken. We were all delighted with our meals.

When in Dublin, why bother with wine? A good pint of Guinness is a gift from God. The nearest pint of Guinness to The Wild Goose is downstairs in McSorley's pub. The excellent staff in the restaurant were kind enough to keep me supplied during the meal — I am very grateful!

Overall a very good experience. Great atmosphere and good staff. I wish we had a restaurant like this near us in California!!

Dublin
“Best food I've had in years”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

Went to this restaurant for the first time recently. Truly superb on all fronts.

Everything about this restaurant is fantastic - the staff are absolutely charming, the owner/manager is a true professional with an attitude that combines genuine appreciation for your custom with simply wanting to ensure that each and every customer has a lovely evening.

We had the early bird which runs all night on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Such good value.
I had tempura of sole to start which was lovely and chicken for my main course. The chicken was cooked to absolute perfection.

It isn't often that you feel the need to rave about a restaurant and unfortunately so many of them can best be described as "good, nothing special." The Wild Goose however is special and certainly worth a visit, or many visits!

Dublin, Ireland
“Super restaurant. You won't be disappointed.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

We don't live nearby and what a pity as we would make this one of our regulars. There are excellent value early birds to be had as well as the a la carte.

Lovely relaxed, refined atmosphere and a warm and friendly greeting from the owner/manager.

We both had one of the best starters we have had....three crab dumplings. The fusion of flavours was fantastic with the crab, often bland, paired with zesty lemon and celeriac. I could have eaten a dozen!

Mains of perfectly cooked sea trout and a first for me... neck of pork, marinated, char grilled and absolutely tender, moist and delicious. I usually get dry overcooked pork but this was different. I loved the charred flavours from a roasting hot griddle plate, all too often the food is cooked on too cool a grill and this changes the flavour completely.

These were very good dishes indeed from a very good and inventive chef and kitchen.

Tasty crème brulee and a pear/chocolate tart for me rounded off a very, very good meal.

A Jazz band was starting as we, regrettably, had to leave.

“Best Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

Our party of 4 were unanimously in agreement as to the great food, great ambience & great service. Scallops, Crab, Hake & Goose washed down with a plentiful supply of Chablis Premier

What a great Thursday night in a very busy restaurant. Booking essential.

• Visited May 2014
“Disappointing visit”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

We had read the reviews of this restaurant and were looking forward to our visit to the Wild Goose Grill. Upon arrival we were greeted by a very friendly girl who showed us to our table. Starters are priced from around 12/15 euros,and the main course that I selected(rib eye) came in at a cool €28. The starters were well presented however they did not impress as far as flavour was concerned. My rib eye was served with dauphinoise potatoes, the square portion was served in a round saucepan and was dried out. The shallot on the plate could have been cooked a bit more and the accompanying mushroom sauce could have been warmer. We had asked for a jug of water when we arrived, however we had to ask staff to remplenish our empty glasses. All of this taking place in the space of 1 hour. We decided not to order desert or coffee and left The Wild Goose never to return. This restaurant has huge potential however it would need to be reminded that there are lots of fine restaurants in Dublin and that overpriced restaurants with shoddy service will not survive the test of time.

• Visited May 2014