“Such a shame” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Dublin, Ireland
“Such a shame”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I have been frequenting Kites maybe twice a year for the past ten years. The service was always excellent and the food spot on.

Our latest visit was the first Friday in November. There was 6 of us.

The service was pretty poor and sloppy. We had intended to spend the evening there until midnight over drinks and desserts, but found ourselves leaving at 10.30pm and scratching our heads as to what happened.

2 of us shared Aromatic duck which was pretty bad. Tasted burned and hard as if it were microwaved for a very long time. The main course was also poor. The others made little or no comment on their food , which to me is a bad sign

I got the impression that corners had been cut; the quality of food had gone downhill, the staff that waited our table seemed dour and the price had gone up. We didn't order desserts or wait for coffee, we just left after the mains.

The bill worked out at 75 euro a head despite only 1 bottle of wine between 3 and the rest ordered 2 beers each.

I don't think I will take the chance again as it was embarrassing for us. Perhaps as I have been there about 20 times in the last 10 years I will try it for lunch and see if it was just a bad night . But it's no longer the old reliable it used to be. I will get over it, but it is such a shame. I am just really disappointed as I used to love this place

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

68% Recommend
dublin
“kites”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Yet again another favourite haunt to eat in food very good friendly staff and they do take away.Nice atmosphere a bit pricey though but I guess you pay for what you get also worth a visit if staying around Ballsbridge.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Crevlin
“One of the nicest Chinese restaurants I have visited.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012 via mobile

We dined here with family and a toddler. The food and service were excellent.

We have been using this restaurant for many years now and the standard is consistently good.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Linslade, United Kingdom
“popular with locals and visitors alike”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

It's been maybe six years since a previous visit & restaurant is little changed in that time, which is no bad thing. We were there on the Sunday evening of the rugby international and the restaurant was bustling, with a great atmosphere.
Our largish group elected to go for one of the set-price menus, that often bring the best value with a varied choice (they were also happy to switch dishes to something requested specially) and we were not disappointed.
Dishes were brought quickly to our table, as & when needed and while we were not pushed in any way, the four - maybe five? - courses, were all done within two hours. There were some great flavours and the staff looked after us very well.
Both ground and first floors were fully occupied with a good throughput and they were kept busy with carry-outs - another good indicator.
The only downside is the access - this is a Georgian-syle building with a few steps up from street-level. Inside is on different levels which could be difficult for disabled access.

• Visited February 2012