“Excellent Gastropub where the food, drink and atmosphere is a pleasure.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Wild Boar

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Dublin, Ireland
“Excellent Gastropub where the food, drink and atmosphere is a pleasure.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

My wife and I have had dinner in the adjoining restaurant (Box Tree) and had a couple of drinks in this pub while waiting for our table. This time we decided to try the Pub-grub instead. It was a delight, the food is every bit as good as in the restaurant (should be, same kitchen) but the feeling is more relaxed. They have a good selection of Ales too, both on tap and in bottles.

Some of the staff are excellent while others could do with a slight improvement (inconsistencies in service). The food more than makes up for it though and we'll definitely be back for more.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Martin V is spot on.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Went to write a review of our visit to the excellent Wild Boar today and I found that previous reviewer Martin V had written it for me. I'm not sure if I agree with the reviews that say the Wild Boar is pricey. 14.90 for an excellent two course lunch is what you'd pay for pub carvery and the food here is in a different league as are the surroundings - it is a lovely room. Martin V is spot on about the staff. It may be the the Box Tree next door is the favoured child. Service was a little slow, but we were warned about this when ordering the burger. It went from slow to non-existent after our mains. Generally, a little encouragement, but not much is required for us to have deserts. However, the "would you like a look at the desert menu" moment never arrived and we sent our daughter up to the bar to ask for the bill and, inevitably, up again to pay it. We have eaten many times in both the Box Tree and the other parts of the O'Reilly empire including the wonderful Greenhouse and we love them all. Having the Wild Boar to compliment the Box Tree is a fantastic idea but as Martin V said - it would be great if the staff could be more welcoming and less surly. We will be back however.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dublin, Ireland
“Great food, but the staff.......”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Ok, first things first - we live in Stepaside & are delighted to have The Wild Boar as an alternative to the much loved Step Inn, we NEED a second bar in the area & to be fair the bar (no pun) is pretty high with the Step Inn across the road. As a bar its grand, always clean & comfortable but lacking in atmosphere so don't go there to watch a match.
I reckon that their forte is as a 'gastropub' & this is where they excel.. using the same kitchen as the Box Tree restaurant the food is fantastic & although a little pricey the premium is worth it.
I've been there a dozen times & never had a bad meal.
My main issue is that the staff employed there are mostly restaurant trained not bar staff & it shows... some of the waiting staff / bar staff are OK others are truly dreadful & you can be left waiting for a drink for an inordinate length of time. In fact I almost always find it faster to go to the bar & order myself. I've also been there in parties of 5-6 when the main courses arrived several minutes apart, I could understand it if it happened once but it happened to on 2 or 3 separate occasions... overall its a VERY GOOD gastropub if you're a couple out for a dinner / lunch you won't do any better anywhere on the south side of the city. If you have a large party book the Box Tree next door, they're feared for the numbers & it'll be a more enjoyable experience. Eamon (the owner) please ask the waiting staff in the bar to be a little less surly & to paint on a welcoming smile - clear the tables & grab a drinks order as you go past

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
dublin, ireland
“delicious lunch and good value for money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

The wild boar has a lovely atmosphere and is very handy for lunch as there is plenty of free parking. the food is tasty, portion size is generous and value for money is good.

Visited May 2012
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Breakfast at the Wild Boar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

I enjoyed a really nice breakfast of Scrambled Eggs and Bacon with Guiness Bread.
The coffee is good, but the orange juice from a bottle, freshly squeeze would have been better.

My only critism is I hate eating off bread boards, my eggs went cold very quickly and it just isn't right, trendy yes, but right no. Give me a plate please anytime.

• Visited June 2012