“Magic, but please do something about WiFi” 4 of 5 stars

Pembroke Townhouse
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   90 Pembroke Road | Ballsbridge, Dublin 4, Ireland   |
Ranked #73 of 171 Hotels in Dublin
Kilcock, Ireland
“Magic, but please do something about WiFi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

My darling wife booked us in for 3 nights, my big birthday present. The first pleasant surprise was free car parking, sometimes a serious issue when staying in Dublin.
They put us on the 5th floor, lovely and quiet. We unpacked & went down for a quick cuppa in the lounge. Lovely homemade biscuits, all free, nice touch.
The bed was huge, I'm sure I heard an echo. The old style TV was a bit off-putting, used to so many channels, but we didn't watch it much so no problem, however I can imagine problems if the weather was bad & we were forced to stay room-bound.
Breakfast was a revelation, so much choice, such a tasty fry-up. I think we could have had as much tea, & rounds of toast as we wanted, free of charge.
Loved it, will probably go back again, but hopefully they will sort out the WiFi next time. In this day & age we expect our hotels to give free WiFi, not €2 for an hour, €14 for a day. This is the only thing I can fault them on. It didn't matter to me as I was on a 3G contract, so didn't use it, but some children staying there were annoyed that they couldn't use the Internet.

Room Tip: Go high, quiet & nice view of south Dublin
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
FionaTeehan, Manager at Pembroke Townhouse, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Hi murfinsurfin,
We did!!! - the wifi is free now!! You see - we do listen!!...
We are delighted you had a nice stay and I hope we get to seeing you again some day.
All our best,
Fiona et al

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Turkish first
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My Boyfriend took me here for my Birthday last weekend. What an excellent choice, at first on the taxi drive over from Connolly station it seemed quite far out, this was not the case it was merely a 15 minute walk, and a lovely walk at that to Grafton street area. The Room was beautiful, and the bed was very comfortable. The Hotel had a lovely atmosphere and the building itself is full of character. The staff were great and the Breakfast was lovely, although a touch expensive. All in all an excellent stay. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi Emma M - so glad you enjoyed .... look forward to seeing you again soon.
Thank you so much for writing.
Best, Fiona
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

My husband and I stayed here after our wedding in Ireland, it was terrible. Nothing romantic or comfortable about it. They stuck us on the basement floor, it was loud at all hours of the night, the staff was not very helpful and a little rude. We stayed at a few different hotels in Ireland and this was the worst.
Breakfast is good and that's about the only good part of the hotel.

Room Tip: Do not get the basement floor rooms, very loud.
Dear Sarah E,
Thank you for writing.
We are so sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us.
I hope we do get the opportunity to change your mind and welcome you again some day.
Best regards,
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I had five nights in the Pembroke Townhouse - a mixture of family tourism and business. It's a charming, relaxed, comfortable and clean hotel. The room itself was pleasant and had all relevant amenities (including, I was happy to see, a safe large enough for my laptop). The bed was extremely comfortable. Downstairs, the lounge area had plenty of comfy chairs and free tea/coffee.

The full Irish breakfast was delicious, and although the list price of 15 euros for a fry-up seems expensive, when I found out that was an all-you-can-eat arrangement, I was quite happy (and had more bacon).

Staff were helpful and friendly. Location is good - about 15 minutes walk into the city centre, and in a nice, safe neighbourhood (walking back to the hotel after 11pm didn't feel risky at all).

I think the only slightly adverse comment I'd have is that the wireless Internet, at 15 euros for 24 hours, is amazingly overpriced. They don't even charge that much in the major city five-star places I've stayed at.

Next time I go to Dublin, I'd be quite happy to stay at Pembroke Townhouse again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hi Richard S,
I hope we see you again, and guess what!? - the wi-fi is free now!
Thank you fort writing.
Warmest regards,
San Rafael, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We arrived one day late due to some airline issues, but were warmly greeted upon our arrival at Pembroke Townhouse and greatly suprised to find that not only had they held our room open (we did advise them of our situation), but they had also upgraded our room to a mini suite (at no charge) to celebrate our anniversary. We found the room clean and comfortable and the breakfasts were splendid. Just the right size. Not the super-sized, way too much food (American) norm.

The location is outside of the hustle and bustle of the tourist attractions, but yet we found it quite walkable to many places. The staff was quite helpful on restaurant recommendations both within walking distance or a short taxi ride. A word of advice on the taxis,...best option is to flag one down. If you call for one, you'll be waiting forever!

We would definitely consider going back on our next visit.

P.S. They have the best bed pillows!

Room Tip: If they have it available, opt for the mini-suite.
Dear Suzette A,
Thank you for writing and we are so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.
Good to note, but I must say it is quite unusual what you say about the taxis - there is a problem in the taxi trade in Dublin in that there is far too many (so a hard business for the drivers)! ...only on the very odd occasion, one has to wait when there is something very big on in the city with huge numbers requesting taxis at the same time...maybe you were here during a time like that?
Look forward to welcoming you again on another occasion.
My warmest regards,
Newnan, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Pembroke Townhouse is comfortable, homey and a no frills location to stay at. It's not close to Dublin's city center and cab rides can add up quickly but all in all, it's a pleasant place to stay. They serve a traditional Irish breakfast but Americans can also enjoy regular diet staples. They even set aside cookies, coffee and tea downstairs for guests to enjoy in the evening hours. There are several great restaurants, bank (with outside ATM) and supermarket within walking distance should you need to purchase any necessities while traveling. The hotel staff were very accommodating and assisted with questions, calling for cabs, etc.

Also, the shower in our bathroom had incredible water pressure. But there was plenty of warm-hot water for comfortable showers.

Dear CBowerman,
Thank you for writing and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay.
I hope we get the chance to welcome to again some day.
Warmest regards,
Vista, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I stayed for a full week while on business in Dublin. I arrived early Sunday morning and the staff arranged for me to get into my room right away- very accomodating. The web site gave excellent directions for travel to the hotel.

The hotel is built in one of the old Georgian buildings in Dublin. They've done a wonderful job of taking a lovely historical building and turning it into a fine hotel. The room was comfortable and spacious, with a pleasant view out the front. The bath facilites were generous. The TV is tiny but that's not an issue for me. 15 euros gave me 24 hours of wifi connect time which easily lasted the entire week. The room was very quiet- no issues with sound through the walls, although I could hear traffic noise because I was on the front of the building.

The hotel staff was very helpful and courteous. Every night they gave me a recommendation for a new restaurant for me to enjoy. There was no difficulty finding one weeks worth of fine dining walkable from the hotel. You need to be comfortable with walking to be able to enjoy this hotel, the restaurants are all a 5-10 minute walk away. And the tourist sights are even farther.

The drawing room is tastefully decorated in period look furnishings. It's a very pleasant place to enjoy reading the paper. The large lamps out front are a welcoming landmark.

The hotel breakfast was comfortable, with friendly staff and a nice continental or irish offering. I also enjoyed breakfasts at the handy coffee shops nearby.

Good access to businesses on the south side of town as well as the major sport facilities.

Room Tip: I enjoyed a front room, but if traffic noise bothers you, get a room facing the back.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hi JS_-_Vista,
So glad you enjoyed your stay and found the staff helpful.
And guess what - the wi-fi free now!!
Hope we get to meeting you again some day.
Best regards,
Fiona

Been to Pembroke Townhouse? Share your experiences!