“Great Expectations - Mediocre Experience” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Lisdoonvarna, County Clare, Ireland
“Great Expectations - Mediocre Experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

This is a lovely central location in Dublin City and my DD and I were really looking forward to putting up our feet for a short break in a venue which trades on serving customers food from its famous recipe books. It was always an eclectic vibe, but I was shocked to see that it has gone full steam ahead with a Vintage on Speed feel. Homespun is one thing, but chucking everything you've got into one room and hoping for a unique feel just didn't work here. It's also slight worn at the edges - buckled, dusty-looking lampshades. We ordered a drink and a cake each - DD had a coke and chocolate cake and I had a cup of tea and lemon cake. She said here cake was "nice" but I declined a taste as my lemon cake must have been sitting for a while - one side of it was dry from being left out too long. I sliced off the dry side and the rest of the cake was meh - not a patch on the one I'd had a Fallon & Byrne the previous day. The cafe was extremely popular with "women of a certain age" and it felt like they were there to ogle the extremely attractive waiter and he clearly new this - lots of flirting and giggling - tacky! So I don't think we'll return. Shame, the old Avoca in Bunratty was excellent and fresh before it burnt down, and the main one on the Limerick road (N7) is usually very reliable. Come on Avoca - get back your usual standards!!!

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Dublin, Ireland
“(Over) large portions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I personally would prefer the prices to be lower and the portions more reasonable, because they really are enormous (and it is pricey but you see why for the amount of food...). I imagine its because Avoca is on the tourist route and therefore catering to international tastes.

We went to the cafe side, not the posh restaurant, so perhaps its different there.

Either way, the food is very good - the soups taste rich and exactly the flavours you expect, salads, the wheaten bread - all very well done. As I said above, though, its not a cheap choice.

Visited February 2013
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Remarkably rustic and rural in the middle of Dublin.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

We dined at Avoca on a Monday afternoon in the middle of February and the place was buzzing!
I love the quirky lay out of the restaurant and the rustic table and chairs.
Our food was to die for. The most amazing homemade butternut squash soup accompanied with homemade bread - so delicious it didn't need butter.
Equally as mouthwatering was our lamb mince with homemade homous and pitta bread which could have easily satisfied as a main course.
Our mains came dancing through an assault course for 20plus full tables of people, tourists and mainly locals to finally reach us.
The homemade rustic burger and chips were delicious and satisfying and my beef and red wine casserole was melt in the mouth and served with crisp greens and beautiful mashed potato. We enjoyed our meals with home made lemonade which was made with strawberries, raspberries, cranberries and lime - definitely a palate quencher :-) we are going back to Dublin later this year just to sample the tremendous looking desserts!
If you want excellent value for money and a good hearty meal in the middle of Dublin - look no further! And the fact it's a family run business makes your visit even more welcoming.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Malahide, Ireland
“Don't believe the hype”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Recently visited Avoca at Malahide Castle, don't believe the hype as its over priced, noisy and lacking in comfort. If you enjoy sharing tables with complete strangers while eating expensive microwaved food having spent ages in a queue well then you might enjoy this. Me, next time I will take the short walk down to the village of Malahide to choose somewhere nicer.

• Visited February 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dublin, Ireland
“Great for lunch - get their early!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

This is a great place for lunch in the Grafton St area. Healthy tasty food at a reasonable price. I had a delicious duck confit salad and soup.
Service can be a little slow in this busy restaurant so its better to go a little early and allow an hour to dine. Enjoy!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere