“Most interesting food & fab service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Whitefriar Grill

Whitefriar Grill
16 Aungier Street, Dublin 2, Ireland (South City Centre)
+353 1 475 9003
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #44 of 1,820 Restaurants in Dublin
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: French, Irish, Grill, Brasserie
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: South City Centre
“Most interesting food & fab service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

I can't say enough good things about this restaurant's food and service. The night we ate here, there was a very well known food critic dining at the next table, looking very pleased- a very reassuring start!

The menu was full of interesting foods, in fact there were so many I couldn't choose so I decided to have a few starters. I had the bone marrow, fresh oysters and the cheese soufflé....and the gambas. We shared the chicken wings. Everything was so fresh & tasty.

Our waiter had excellent food knowledge and recommended a beautiful wine. He also asked if we were visiting and reccommended some great bars in the area. We were really pleasantly surprised with the bill. If you're a real foodie this restaurant is a must!

• Visited January 2013

London
“If there was a restaurant in heaven, it would look like Whitefriars”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I never knew how to feel about Aungier Street. It's a street that takes you from the city centre to Rathmines, from pub to nightclub, or from home to college. I've never got to know streets in the area - or, at least, not in the same way I've occupied the pubs and restaurants in the skein of streets between South Gt. George's St., Dame St and Grafton St. In days gone by, Aungier St. was to the south side what Dorset St. is (still) to the northside: a tired street, pock-marked by clannish pubs, that exists to take you somewhere else.

I've changed my mind about Aungier Street since an evening that began in Whitefriar Grill. The atmosphere was wonderful: exposed brick work (with excellent pointing), an inviting bar, tall waiters with clean aprons, and the right kind of lighting. The staff performance was masterful: broad smiles, easy charm, martial efficiency, the right level of attention, and a thorough understanding of the menu's components. I also liked that no matter how busy the place got, the guy running the show (Nigel, I think) always had time to yammer to customers who had obviously become regulars.

People and place made the evening memorable, but it's the food that makes me think Aungier St is changing. We had a half-a-dozen oysters with a white wine aperitif recommended by the waiter (a tiny bit of salt, some citrus, maybe a Muscadet?). I tried the roast bone marrow, then the rabbit. My partner had the black pudding and monkfish with a glass of the Aussie Chardonnay. We also polished off a bottle of the Riesling over the course of the meal. The food, in short, is adventurous and sophisticated, but also very satisfying and great value for money. This chef has been round the block – and knows exactly how to keep a room happy – but the occasional twist of imaginative flair was really a sight for sore eyes.

• Visited February 2013
Dublin, Ireland
“Best Brunch In Dublin”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I have been to White Friar Grill a number of times. Back in march I organised a girly brunch for a group of my friends. I knew this was the best place in Dublin for this occasion. The Dj on a Sunday is an excellent touch to get you in the mood. Not to mention their extensive range of cocktails, which in my opinion is topped by their signature Chorizo Vodka Bloody Mary which happens to be the best bloody mary i've ever tasted. The menu is full of everything you could ever want to eat from salads, to burgers to everything to cure a hangover!! The poached eggs are always cooked to perfection unlike any other brunch destinations Ive been too. The staff are always friendly ,hip and cool and you feel like you are going to have the best experience from the minute you get to the door. The chocolate brownie or chocolate fondue if u have room after is to die for ....... I've also been to White Friar Grill for dinner. The Food, Wine, Cocktails, Service have never let me down and the atmosphere is always buzzing. They also do great value meals mid week!!! Enjoy ;-)

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Not to be missed hmmmmm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I organised a night out for myself and the lady wife a few weeks ago. Having not been out in town in quite some time I used this site to see where was best. Although other restaurants were higher in the list, whitefriar seemed to tick the boxes for what I was looking for. After checking the menu online It looked pretty decent. When I called the chap who answered the phone informed me that they don’t open during the day but he would call me back as soon as he got into work (NICE TO SEE PEOPLE WANTING BUSINESS AND NOT JUST HAVING AN ANSWERING MACHINE) He did and we booked for a Saturday. When we arrived the room was half empty, but were assured by the young lady on the floor it was about to get quite busy, and so it did.

She had Gambas, I had the bone marrow as I had read about it in the irish times. She allowed me one prawn which was lovely and juicy the sauce she wiped up with the sourdough bread. The bone marrow was immense, but the oxtail marmalade was nothing short of AMAZING. I have never had either before and so glad I tried..

Mains she had the tandoori chicken, which was succulent and full of flavour. She ordered it because she could smell it being cooked in the kitchen. I had to have the ribs n rump, I was expecting the rump to be tough despite what the lady informed me to have it cooked medium as it would be tough anything over and too chewy under. She was right. The ribs were as they should be, tender and a beautiful bbq sauce which looked like a glaze.

Dessert we had to share the fondue, it was a romantic evening after all.. we had great fun with it and it was perfect. The wine accompaniment was hard to balance with our very different orders so we just settled for a bottle of malbec, DELISH for the price bracket

• Visited March 2013
Kilkenny, Ireland
“Seriously good food/service and great atmosphere :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Where do I start... We received a lovely warm welcome upon arrival. We were then seated and the menu was explained in great detail. Time was taken by the owner to ask us what we liked, to which he then recommended dishes he thought we should try. This was great as I always find it hard to choose esp when everything on the menu is so appealing. While waiting for our dining delight to begin we ordered some cocktails. I'm not a 'huge' cocktail fan as I usually find them very sweet or too strong but we wanted to try some. We were not disappointed, they went down a treat! There was a great buzz about the place and we felt very relaxed and could of stayed there for the night only for we had a show to get to. The food was exceptional to say the least and i am quite fussy about what I eat. We had such a good experience we returned the following morning for breakfast. It was so tasty, great choices. Well done you guys, your restaurant rocks!! We'll be back :) Coco

• Visited February 2013