“Great Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #60 of 174 Hotels in Dublin
England
“Great Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2008

We stayed here for New Year, a little concerned having read a few negative reviews but had a great stay. The hotel was lovely, the rooms large, airy and clean and, most important, quiet. Its within walking distance of all of the attractions, and right next to the Airbus drop off/pick up point so no need for taxis. The only criticism we had was that the breakfast was very poor, so after our first day we ate out. We've stayed in Dublin lots of times and usually hotel breakfasts are absolutely great but in this hotel, I wouldn't bother - better to go somewhere else to eat.

Stayed January 2008
Ken L, Manager at O'Callaghan Alexander Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the Alexander Hotel on Tripadvisor.

Your kind comments are much appreciated and I hope to welcome you back to the Hotel on your next visit to Dublin

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Grimsby
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2007

We stayed in this hotel for two nights in November 2007. We found the staff to be welcoming and friendly, nothing was too much trouble for them. The room was exactly like it's picture on the internet and the food was excellent. We would recommend this hotel to visitors to Dublin and will be returning next year!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — Everything was as described on the web site
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
orlaghmcc, General Manager at O'Callaghan Alexander Hotel, responded to this review, March 16, 2008
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Dublin soon.
Northants UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2007

Having secured some of Ryanair's flights for a penny a seat quite a few week's earlier, I left it a bit late to book a hotel but found the O'Callaghans group of hotels with plenty of availability (I wonder why) for the weekend we were travelling. On the website the hotel looked 4 star, smart, in a good location (Merrion Square) and with good facilities and at a reasonable rate.
We arrived on Saturday lunchtime after a slow taxi ride from the airport but with a great taxi driver who chatted with us all the way and made the trip seem quicker. However, on arrival the taxi did not have anywhere to pull up outside the hotel due to a huge hole in the road right outside the door of the hotel and with half the pavement cordoned off and diggers all around, he had no choice but to stop in the middle of the street. Even the taxi driver said it looked awful! Anyway as it was the weekend we assumed that there would be no activity on the roadworks (oops wrong assumption - but I will get to that).
Check in was fairly fast and we were given a nice double room at the front of the hotel - with a lovely direct view of the roadworks that had greeted us on arrival. After unpacking and reading through a couple of magazines left in the room, we headed out into Dublin city centre. I would say that the main shopping streets are about a half mile walk along busy roads and its too far to walk to O'Connell street. However, the DART stop on Pearse Street is only 2 minutes away if you need to travel further afield. I must admit I didn't think the hotel was in a particularly pleasant part of town and as other reviewers have mentioned, its not in Merrion Square at all - its 1 street back, behind one of the groups other hotels. We got back to the hotel after shopping to find that the workmen had returned to continue with the roadworks which seem to chiefly consist of smashing up the tarmac with a large digger and then filling in the hole with new tarmac. This continued until early evening but had stopped by the time we got back from dinner.
However, we were very rudely awoken at 7.30am on Sunday morning by the resumed roadworks. We didnt bother with breakfast in the hotel but on our way out we asked reception how long the roadworks would be going on for. We received a very terse frosty reply which went along the lines of "we didn't know they were going to do roadworks, we weren't told anything so there's nothing we can do - please go away". It would have been nice to at least have had an apology or have been offerred to be moved to another room away from the front of the hotel (even though we didn't ask to be moved as we didn't expect the road works to continue til 10.30 that night!).
Again Sunday night was an OK night's rest after the workmen went home as they had finished filling in the hole.
We were quite glad to be checking out on Monday morning and again the reception check out was OK but nothing stands out about the service we received.
I wouldn't stay here again as the location is poor, in a pretty scruffy side street, too far from the main city attractions and with nothing else to make it noteworthy.

• Liked — The room wasn't bad
  • Disliked — Poor service and remote location
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, we are disappointed that you feel that the service and location did not meet your expecations as we strive to offer the best service possible and always offer very competitive rates.
We hope you will reconsider staying with us in the near future.
Frankfurt
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2007

Arrived late at night for an overnight stay and a seminar the next morning. Everthing had been paid in advance and I had a fax confirmation from the hotel. The woman at the reception left me waiting for 10 mins without any explanation while she checked the booking. She then came back and said she needed my credit card. OK. No explanation why. I then asked where the seminar which my company booked was being held in the morning. The answer "no idea". I then asked her to check with her manager as the seminar was definately in the hotel. He came out and confirmed this. She chewed gum the whole time and could not have been more unfriendly and unprofessional. The room was ok but pretty loud as it was over the bar area. At breakfast
the next morning I had to ask twice for coffee. The staff just did not seem interested. It was also hard to find an irish person working
in the place so maybe it was a language thing. I will not be coming back and would not reccomend this hotel to anyone who expects service
for their money.

• Liked — The bed and the location
  • Disliked — The terrible service and ignorant front office staff
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dear Guest,

I thank you for your comments and i am disappointed that you feel our hotel is not of good value as we strive to offer the best service possible and always offer the very best competitive rates.

We hope you will reconsider staying with us in the future.
Dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2007

I didn't stay in this hotel; I attended a seminar there. And this was my experience:
This hotel is dreadful. For a start it's not on Merrion Square, it's around the corner on Fenian Street.

And the service is dreadful. Lunch was included with the seminar but it wasn't great (which is down to the seminar organisers; that isn't the complaint), so we decided we'd pay for lunch in the hotel itself.
We were going to go to the bar but it was so cold we couldn't sit there. S
o we went to the lobby. Long story short: the service was deplorable, the waitress understood no English and got annoyed with me when I was trying to get my point across (firmly but nicely) and when I complained the manager told me it wasn't his fault; that they were too busy (which they weren't). Also on the website it says parking is E10 for 24 hours but the machine charged us E30. I'll never go there again; I suggest you don't either.

• Liked — The decor and the cleanliness
  • Disliked — The service and the attitude of the staff.
  • Stayed October 2007

Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2007

We enjoyed this hotel - the location, our rooms, our meals and the staff. I would recommend it to anyone and We would definitely return again.

• Liked — location and alround service
  • Stayed August 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2007

Stayed in the Alexander this week despit living only 6 or so miles away as our company had some meetings. due to this I probably won't have had the usual experience but I was quite impressed with the hotel. Room was nice though I ended up in a twin and would have preferred a bigger bed. Didn't have dinner here but lunch on two days was very good. Breakfast was the usual buffet fare and was fine. No complimentary papers apart from the freebies was one small quibble. Hotel is well located near Merrion Sq and a short walk from Trinity College, grafton st etc and is very close to the Dart with Pearse St station around the corner. Would be a good choice if you're looking for a city centre hotel that would be in a quieter area and can recommend the Gingerman pub across the road

• Liked — Great location
  • Disliked — I got stuck in a twin room
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Operations Manager

Been to O'Callaghan Alexander Hotel? Share your experiences!