“Good food” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Bar scene
Phoenix, Arizona
“Good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Quite tasty food at a price not unreasonable for the area - everything's expensive in Dublin. I forget exactly what we had but it was very good and the service was good also.

Visited June 2013

Dublin, Ireland
“The Chef's Game Pie with no game?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Had a light lunch today in Alfies outdoor facility downstairs on one of the hottest days of the year. The outdoor shade was very inviting. However the music was inappropriately loud but it was turned down to a reasonable level immediately on request. I was handed a menu and when the waitress returned a few minutes later I asked for the the parfait of chicken liver only to be told that there was "none available today". Now it is a very small point but it does tend to drive me around the twist for some reason. Here I am considering my options only to be told after I have made my choice that my this item was not available. Surely the time to inform the customer is before one is asked to decide what one would like and not afterwards. This is not good practice in a 5-Star Luxury Hotel in a major European city.
I then decided that I would have the “Chef’s Game Pie”. It was attractively served with a decent size layer of well produced crisp pastry on top. However the only “game”, in fact the only meat I could find were a few small scraps of lamb’s kidney. This is game?. However I do happen to like kidneys so that in itself was not too much of a let down. The sauce had the consistency of a consommé and had assorted bits of vegetables and kidney pieces all floating about in a most unattractive fashion. A passing waiter helpfully pointed out that I had been given a soup spoon to help me deal with the dish. What is the chef up to, or am I missing something that someone should have told me years ago?
Having said that, what I had was tasty but certainly the lack of solid meat or game substance was indeed very disappointing. I remember the last time I ate there (about this time last year) having had a similar disappointing experience, this time with a fish pie and saying to my wife that we probably should not go back. Maybe it is time I took my own advice and find somewhere else where the cuisine is of a higher standard.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Lausanne, Switzerland
“excellent steaks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Best steaks in Dublin (at least in a hotel restaurant).
The T-Bone is perfect and there's also a surf&turf with filet for 2 that you can't miss. Small sides are great.

Visited April 2013
Charleston, South Carolina
“Superb food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We ate here for dinner before going to the Concert Hall across the street. The menu was limited but they had a great option for me, the linguine. It was excellent! We all enjoyed what we had. We all wanted to go back.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Wicklow, Ireland
“A bit let down”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

We chose here as a venue to catch up with some friends.

I ordered a King Prawn Salad and was given a salad with tiny prawns. We were distracted with one of our friend's children and so I missed it being set on the table. As we were in a rush, I decided to let it slide but intended to mention it when we were paying. There should be a big difference in price between small prawns and king prawns.

As we were paying I said something to our waitress and was quite rudely told "But we gave you extra prawns" - Oh really, but why couldn't you have checked with me that it was ok in the first place. I would have ordered something else, had I been given the choice.

I had eaten here once before and that was an average experience. It's one place I won't be trying a third time, however. My advice is keep going, there are many nicer places and not as costly!

• Visited May 2011