“A Smokers Hotel” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #119 of 174 Hotels in Dublin
Bettendorf, Iowa
“A Smokers Hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

The entire hotel smells like cigarette smoke, we asked for a non smoking room (My husband has allergies and we have small kids) and it was even worse than the lobby with cigarette burns in the couch and bedding.

No outlets by the beds, my husband has a CPAP and we had to move the couch bed to plug it in. This seems to be a problem in all Bewley's hotels.

There were 4 of us, we wanted to give your two children a bath but there weren't enough towels (Even with the "Extra Towels" in the drawer). The bathtub backed up during showers.

The staff is very nice.

Room Tip: Don't take a room on the road side, lights shine in the room and cars race up and down all night...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Phillip O, General Manager at Bewleys At Newlands Cross, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Dear Kate,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We have over the past twelve months reduced the number of smoking rooms in the hotel and have now just one section of the building with smoking rooms, the rest are now all non-smoking. We do provide a smoking area off the lounge area for smokers and at the rear of the restaurant in an outdoor area so whilst we do cater for smokers I would not say we are a smokers hotel. We do provide extra towels in the rooms as you mentioned and we also have additional towels available on request at the reception. I was delighted to see that you found our team welcoming and hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Phillip O'Neill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Arrived at this hotel after having a bad 2 night stay in our previous hotel booked through our travel agent in the states. The minute we arrived in the hotel everything was perfect, Anthony on reception his service is impeccable. From ringing the travel agent to get refunded for our 2 night previous stay and getting the nights stay in Bewleys fully covered and including dinner for two that evening. I am amazed with the overall experience and staff. The food was great, Room was clean and beds are comfortable. I will be highly recommending this hotel

• Stayed June 2013
Phillip O, General Manager at Bewleys At Newlands Cross, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Finklebiner,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel here at Newlands Cross. I'm delighted we were able to assist you in making the most of your stay here and I will certainly pass your comments on to Anthony. I hope we see you here again soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

Lovely hotel. Packed with Germans though! Hotel was clean and welcoming. Room lovely. Staff excellent very welcoming and helpful. Pub meal in residents lounge great! Breakfast lovely, good value and good choice! Aldi across the road so great for getting lots of bottled water! Good location only 15 ish mins from airport and easy to find! Highly recommended!

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Gillian,

I was delighted to read your 5 star review of our hotel. It is always great to get feedback from our guests and thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Place busy. stayed on arrival and departure in Ireland with wife and child People overnighting before heading onwards so a bit soulless. Rooms okay.

Stayed in very hot weather. No A/C and rooms airless as windows only opened inches. First night so hot nearly had to leave. Chap at front desk lent us a fan. Stiflingly hot too when we stayed 10 days later. Could be a real problem for older travellers. In fairness Ireland isn't geared up for heat. My advice would be travel with your own fan if its ever hot again in Ireland.

Loads of tour coaches arriving and leaving. - A flash travel-lodge really- Certainly don't use it as a base to see Dublin. How good it is like many places is linked to what your room rate is.
Is a conference place so can change profile of guest!

Didn't have any food but was available.

Was a bus into Dublin. Half mile walk to bus stop but okay. Petrol station/ ALDI and take aways close by for food and drink.

Great if you want to be positioned to get onto the N7 Waterford Road to head south

Room Tip: Get a room away from the road. Ask for the new block.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear PJono,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We have enjoyed an exceptionally good spell of weather over the past number of weeks and we have increased our stock of fans in light of the fine weather . We do have restrictors on our bedroom windows in accordance with our Health & Safety policy which is for the protection of all our customers and children in particular.
There are also several modes of transport available into the city cntre with the Luas Red Cow stop close by and the number 13 bus stop a 2 to 3 minute walk across the road.

I was glad to read that you found the location convenient for the N7 and hope we can welcome you back soon.

Easton, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Pick it not only because it was recommended by a co-worker that had lived in Ireland but it was convenient to places I wanted to go. The rates were good compared to other places including the other Bewleys, there are 5 in the great Dublin area. The rooms were clean and comfortable, and quiet at night. Less quiet during the day for a late sleeper like myself. I only had breakfast in their restaurant which I enjoyed, though their dinner menu looked interesting I was usually still in Dublin in the evening so never got a chance to try it. I did have a burger late night in their pub which I enjoyed. The bartenders were friendly and when they shut down (1ish I think) you could order a couple and sit. Talked with a local ( lives in England but comes back every 4-6weeks to visit) into the wee hours of the morning one night. The tram into Dublin was about a kilometer from the hotel. I could have driven but not being used to driving on the other side of the road with the shifter in the other hand I chose to walk, also I didn't know if I might enjoy the Guinness too much some evening that would make driving risky. The tram was reasonable and took me where I needed to go with no hassle. Driving in Dublin as with most urban area would have been a nightmare being unfamiliar with that city.
I would stay there again should I be in the Dublin area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear Tom,

I have just read your review of our hotel and I was deligthed to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope we can welcome you to Bewleys Hotel at Newlands Cross again in the near future.

Waterford, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights. Hotel reception rooms are ok and food is ok too. Breakfast is good and speedy too. The main problem we had was with our room. We booked a family room and on arrival were just supplied with 1 bath towel and 1 hand towel for 2 adults. It took 3 requests and 3 hours before we got an additional set. The bathroom extractor fan didn't work and when we told a member of the housekeeping staff, she just shrugged and said it wasn't her job. Also there were no tea/coffee sachets in our room - the whole rom seemed minimally prepared. In a 3 star hotel you do expect your room to be cleaned and tidy, but we found the next night that our beds had not been made - the quilts were just thrown over and the undersheets weren't even smoothed out. In the bathroom, the towels were just as we left them, hanging over the shower rail. You don't normally expect a heat wave in Ireland but we had one that weekend! It revealed how inadequate the ventilation is in the bedroom. Just one window that opened 4" wide at the top - obviously there was no air conditioning. The family room we booked was a very long way from the one (tiny) lift - imagine trailing weary kids along what seems endless hot corridors! The room cardkey ceased to work after 24 hrs - I guess this is a security thing, but it would be nice to be told this before you have trailed up to your room, only to find the key doesn't work! I have a similar review on the hotel's website (at their request) but I notice that the only ones they show are the 5* ones!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Tilly,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss the issues raised directly with you and would appreciate if you had time to contact me either at phillip.oneill@bewleyshotels.com or by phoning 01-4640140.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We arrived in Dublin after a busy day of international airports and flying - and were delighted with our comfortable room - soft bed, clean room and bathroom and a generous supply of tea making. We had found on a previous trip that this hotel was suitably situated from the airport and Dublin as we were heading to the west country and wanted a jump start on the road the next morning. Breakfast was more than adequate and service was friendly. We have stayed at this hotel before and will continue to do so on further trips to Ireland.

Room Tip: We have always been given a clean comfortable room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Phillip O, General Manager at Bewleys At Newlands Cross, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Erena,

I was delighted to read your review of your recent stay at our hotel. I'm glad we were able to meet your expectations and look forward to welcoming you back over from Melbourne again in the future.

Phillip O'Neill

Been to Bewleys At Newlands Cross? Share your experiences!