“What is it? Who cares! It beats a hostel bed with some guys smelly socks hanging over your head...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of My Place Dublin Hotel

You added My Place Dublin Hotel to your Saves list
My Place Dublin Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   89-90 Lower Gardiner Street, Dublin Dublin 1, Ireland   |
Ranked #144 of 176 Hotels in Dublin
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

This is a difficult place to rate.... is it a hostel or a hotel? For a hostel it would get a great rating. For a cheap Dublin hotel it gets a good rating from me. Unfortunately TripAdvisor doesn't have a good rating.

Great location. Minutes to the Bus Station & Connolly Station. Ten minute walk or less to Temple Bar, Grafton Street, Henry Street. Even only a 30 minute walk out to Aviva Stadium.

The lobby is great for a hostel, and descent for a hotel. All the staff I encountered were friendly and courteous.

The room was the only basement room (104) and after going down the stairs into the dark and moldy smelling basement I couldn't help but think I have made a terrible, horrible mistake. After finally finding the light switch and getting into the room I was pleasantly surprised by the large and relatively clean room. Average sized hotel room in need of a new carpet. Small sized tv but had a surprising number of channels. Free tea and coffee in room. Semi comfortable bed and descent blankets, linens and towels. A surprisingly clean and new looking bathroom with hot water morning noon and night. Being the only room in the basement noise was not much of an issue. I could hear some noise once in a while from the street and there was one room above so I did hear people one morning.

Overall the place would be a real gem in budget hotels if it had a new carpet and paint job.

For $33 per night for a double or triple room on a Rugby game weekend is unheard of. I have no complaints as you usually get what you pay for. I have stayed in some rotten hostels in Dublin for more. I have vowed to tent on O'Connell Street before reliving some guys smelly socks hanging over me while I sleep. So if your the cheap hotel or hosteling type this place will probably be a good experience for you. If your more into upscale accommodation I would ask for one of their nicer rooms or apartments or there's always the option of paying more at a nicer hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Polish first
Dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

Got a great price for one night at this property but that was where the joy ended! Although the reception area is nice, the rooms themselves are very run-down looking, tatty carpets and so on. Quite cold in the room too. TV only had the basic four channels. The worst part is that the noise from the traffic outside is so deafening, it’s as if you were sleeping on the street. I would strongly advise bringing ear plugs if you are to have any home of a decent night’s sleep. But even that’s not guaranteed - somebody set off the fire alarm during the night and I had to get out of bed and come downstairs to reception where the guy there was frantically trying to turn it off. Went back to bed, but didn’t get much sleep with all the noise and checked out at the dawn feeling like a zombie!

Room Tip: don't sleep near the front of hotel - you might as well be sleepign on the street!!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Basel, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

The price of this hostel makes it worth it. It is in a great location and good value for money, I stayed here after missing a flight and it was fine for a one night stayover. Maybe not for people expecting too much, but you get what you pay for, and for the price this place is grand.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

From the moment we walked throught the door we were treated beautifully. We were upgraded to an apartment at no extra cost! I don't know what the other reviewers are on about. For £40 myself and my sister and brother got a 2 bedroom apartment. With a kitchen and balcony. It has had a refurb and looks good. All in all. A very happy customer.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
NYC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

First of all, I guess I can focus on the positive: for the price of not much more than a bunk in a youth hostel, I got a bed in a private room under a roof out of the winds. On a cold Dublin night, that's a big plus.

On the negative: The door to my hotel room had smashed wood all around the lock, as if in the not-too-distant past, someone had forcibly broken into my room and broken the lock and the wood around it, and no one had replaced it. However, there was a lock there (although I had to leave my key with the front desk for "security reason" whenever I left the hotel. Considering the room contained all my stuff, I don't know whose security that was for the benefit of). But okay.

While waiting for my key upon returning from dinner, I had to listen to the entirety of the front desk clerk's phone conversation begging a plumber to come in the night, because a room didn't have any water. Those poor souls, I thought.

In the morning, I discovered there was no hot water in my room. None! I don't go for much fancy when I travel, but if I'm paying to stay somewhere in the first world, a hot shower is a major requirement. When I told the sour lady at the front desk, her response as to offer me "complimentary coffee and toast." Oh, really? Complimentary coffee and toast! Oh goodie! I guess that'll help me forget I just stayed at a real-life Fawlty Towers.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

Having stayed in Browns some years ago when it was a particularly decent place, I decided to take my daughter, daughter in law and my 3 grandaughters to stay there in order to experience the delights of Dublin.It was a special treat for two of the girls for their 18th Birthdays & the other for her 21st. Sadly the hotel has been neglected and surely must be due a major over haul. Two of the rooms we were allocated were just about ok but the third one was absolutely deadful and should never have been used. The shower room wall and ceiling were mouldy, the shower cubicle was black & chipped. There was not even any soap to wash hands. The bedroom had a bracket where a TV should have been. The carpet was grimey & tatty. It's only saving grace was comfortable beds & clean linen. However we were moved the next day to a much better room which was still nothing like I'd experienced previosly. Breakfast, which we had paid for up front, was a very hit & miss affair on some occasions having no Orange juice even in stock and with only one poor girl on duty it was not at all satisfactory.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Toulouse, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

If the first impression may be positive with a big room, we begin to understand after 30 seconds that this hotel is fast declining. The worst example is the broken window, always open to the noisy Gardener street... We stay 2 nights in this hotel. The window has never been repaired... and the room has never been cleaned...

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Been to My Place Dublin Hotel? Share your experiences!