“This place is up there with the worst hostels I've ever stayed in!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Generator Hostel Dublin

You added Generator Hostel Dublin to your Saves list
Generator Hostel Dublin
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   28 Smithfield Street, Dublin 7, Ireland   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #7 of 91 Specialty Lodging in Dublin
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“This place is up there with the worst hostels I've ever stayed in!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

We booked a 12 bed dorm last month and when we got to our room we were not impressed. We were put into a long term stay room without warning!! To start with my locker was full of rotten food, mouldy and disgusting cheese, horrible meat, half empty Guinness cans and 2 bottles of half drank champagne!!! Rotten fruit was under my bed where my locker didn't fit because there was a pillar in the way, this same pillar that blocked you from actually climbing to the top bunk safely, getting out of it in the dark was a huge risk and I felt very unsafe. Stupid place to put a bunk bed!! The floor hadnt been cleaned in a very long time and there was laundry hanging all over the place. My friend didn't even have a locker because the girl below him had taken up both! I did not feel that this was a safe place to stay either. We had two people knock on our doer trying to find someone and they weren't even staying in the hostel, very dodgy! A hostel chain this big should have a stronger focus on cleanliness and friendliness! Also a friend stayed no long after us (even though I told her not to) and had her phone and charger stolen from inside her locked locker! The staff were useless in helping her resolve this issue!! The food from the bar is generic and over priced as is all the drinks! Definitely recommend finding somewhere else to stay!!

• Stayed December 2013
Generator_Dublin, Manager at Generator Hostel Dublin, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on the Generator Dublin. I am surprised to read your comments about the staff and the rooms, we don't have specific rooms for long stay guests as that is against our policy. However I do apologise that the locker/room was dirty, I have passed your comments onto our housekeeping department to look into.

Regards

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

This is the first time I have stayed in a hostel and I was not expecting it to be so nice. It has a very cool and inviting atmosphere helpful staff and it's pretty clean. They also have a bar and restaurant as well as activities and pool tables. There are lockers if you are too early for check in or you're sharing a room. The price was great as well.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on the Generator Dublin. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you in the near future.

Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

The room was very clean and gave you plenty of room and bins to store your stuff. I thought the hostel was located a little far away from the center (a 20 min walk to O'Connell Street). Very young atmosphere since the place turns into a bar/club at night. I was on the 5th floor and thankfully did not hear any of the party noises during the night.

I thought I read on the website free towels...ended up being 2 euros to rent one.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on the Generator Dublin. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

Wow, I was very impressed with the service and friendliness of the staff at the hostel. We had a large group coming in last night who had pre-ordered a meal and due to the weather they were diverted to Belfast, which mean the group running extremely late. Jeremy was fantastic in negotiating with the chef and they all went that extra mile to make sure the group were fed even when arriving eventually after 11 - thanks you all!!

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on the Generator Dublin. We are delighted to hear that you and your group enjoyed your stay.

We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Jersey City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

This hostel is well organized, easy to find, and in a great location. The bed and showers were clean and the staff was very helpful in recommending a local pub to get Irish food and craft beer - thanks Jeremy. Besides the late check-in - 2 pm, the stay has been great so far without any criticism. Wifi is reliable with a simple login. Hopefully the day excursions can be easy to book due to the rainy weather !

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on the Generator Dublin. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your positive comments on the staff.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Valencia, Spain
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

We had booked a private room and they gave us a room with bunk beds for four people. Wasn't shared with anyone but ovbiously is not the same. Their excuse was they were overbooked and we must stay in that room. Unforgivable.

The room was very cold, the heating wasn't working well.

At least is a nice place, big and clean.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on the Generator Dublin. I do apologise that we were overbooked and you were put into a quad room. We are very happy that you found the hostel clean and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

I've stayed in a lot of hostels from Paris to Australia and in terms of space - this one wins hands down. I stayed in a girls 8-bed dorm on the 5th floor and the room was well spaced out and the bathroom was pretty huge too (even had a jacuzzi in it). It would have been nicer had they not put an extra fold out bed in there to cram an extra person in but the hostel was packed out due to the rugby I think.
Everywhere was pretty clean and it felt very safe but for the cost of staying there I would have expected it to be clean and safe - there are much cheaper places out there.
Our dorm was fairly quiet at night and I cant remember hearing any noise from the street outside during the day or night.
My biggest criticism is the price of a drink! For a hostel I would have expected the booze to be a lot cheaper! My friend and I were in bars with table service that were cheaper!

But, having said that, I would recommend this place for travellers who aren't big drinkers :)

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on the Generator Dublin. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I am surprised to hear that you found the drink expensive as we have a lot of deals every week with special promotions.

Thank you again for your positive comments.

Operations Manager

Been to Generator Hostel Dublin? Share your experiences!