“Overall great” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 89 Specialty Lodging in Dublin
London, United Kingdom
“Overall great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

After the first night I would have expected my review to be a 5, but my two subsequent nights changed that. I stayed in an all female dorm which was really nice and I'm glad it was offered. But after the first night I had to relocate rooms. They were nice about it and it was fine, it was still all female. But I went from being on an inside wall to an exterior wall. On Saturday nights, the bar is really loud which made it more difficult to sleep, but overall I did sleep fine. I wanted to do late checkout because I had a night flight and I expected this to be easy. Little did I know that I would have to pay for a locker. It wasn't expected, but I would've liked to have known. Of all the staff I met (probably around 6 people), only one of them wasn't really helpful and nice. The staff were able to recommend places to go and even helped book a day trip to Northern Ireland for me. I would definitely recommend this place, especially if you plan on staying out late. The location is awesome. Had I spent all three nights in my first room and known about the locker price, my review would have been a 5.

Room Tip: Book a female dorm straight through the Generator website if you want a female only dorm, it is an o...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Generator_Dublin, Manager at Generator Hostel Dublin, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review on the Generator Dublin. We are glad you enjoyed your stay.

We hope to welcome you back to Dublin in the near future.

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Townsville, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

The Generator Hostel is an excellent place to stay while in Dublin. It has been designed with backpackers in mind. I was in a 6 bed female dorm with ensuite and it was excellent. Clean, spacious, secure, I loved the lockable cages that slid under the bunks beds - they were big enough to fit my 65 litre backpack and a few other smaller bags I had and they were very sturdy and secure enough that I felt safe leaving my bag with all my valuables in there.
The facilities were excellent, a great bar and eating area with pool tables, music and plenty of tables of different styles to sit at. There was a separate kitchen where you could prepare your own food and there was also a cafe that offered a small selection of meals. I tried the vegeburger and it was excellent, although a little pricey I thought. There was a chill out area, free wi-fi in the public spaces as well as computers connected to the internet for a small charge.
The staff were friendly and helpful and I loved some of the ideas they had for activities on most week nights to encourage people to mix and socialise in the hostel itself.
I loved the mural on the wall and the light fittings from old Jameson Whisky bottles.
I would highly recommend this hostel to anyone looking for somewhere to stay in Dublin.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Generator_Dublin, Manager at Generator Hostel Dublin, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on the Generator Dublin. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and great to see all the positive comments.

Hope to welcome you back in the near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

The Generator hostel is a excellent place to stay when you're looking for a hostel in Dublin, I wouldn't be surprised if it is the best hostel. Only a 10 minute walk to the Temple Bar and just in front of the bookmaker! The vibe and surrounding are good, there's a bar, a-kind-of restaurant and a lot of people to hang with. The receptionists are helpful and nice, even the night shifters & the rooms are neat and clean.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Generator_Dublin, Manager at Generator Hostel Dublin, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on the Generator Dublin. We appreciate all your positive comments and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

This is more of a question than a review. What is the difference between these two?

> 1 bed in 8 bed mixed dormitory- Shared
> 1 bed in 8 bed mixed dormitory Ensuite

I've read many good reviews about Generator Hostel , and we decided to give it a try. Just wondering which room to choose. I notice that the staff responds to comments here, which I find very appealing in choosing our accommodation.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Generator_Dublin, Manager at Generator Hostel Dublin, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your question!! As you mentioned we have two options:
Dorms with ensuite (shower, toilet sink in the room)
Dorms with shared facilities (communal showers/toilets) but with sink in the dorm.

Always check on the Generator website to see the best available rate. If you require any more information please do not hesitate to contact us at dublin@generatorhostels.com.

Hope to see you in the future!

Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

The Generator Hostel was a decent place to stay while in Dublin. The location of the hostel is excellent, as it is easy to walk to any of the sites within the city. We had booked a 6-bedroom dorm with ensuite and when we arrived both the room and the bathroom were very clean. On the final night of our stay we were told by a woman who worked there that they were going to be putting 2 more beds in our room. We were a little taken aback by this, but she soon returned and told us that this was not going to happen.
The shower in the bathroom was the only downfall of the place. The drain was either very clogged or broken as the floor of the shower flooded every time you showered. As well the poor ventilation in the washroom has lead to the accumulation of some mildew/mold around the shower.
Overall a decent value for the money paid.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Generator_Dublin, Manager at Generator Hostel Dublin, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on the Generator Dublin. We appreciate all your comments and the housekeeping department has been informed of your feedback.

We hope to see you back in the near future.

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I stayed there for one week and it was good value for money. Although, when I was looking for a hostel in Dublin about a month later it was more expensive.
I stayed in a six bed with private bath dorm. It was clean and quiet. Each bed had its own light and sockets and there are lock up storages in the bedrooms so you can leave your stuff with no worries. The window didn't open much and that might be a problem if there is a stinky person in the same room as you are.
The common area has a great atmosphere and it's really nice, playing good music. There is a bar inside the hostel, which is great. It has a pool table and couches to enjoy the company of other guests.
The only problem is that there is only one big common area and if you want a quiet place to read or some privacy to work or do your stuff you may not have if, since you might be sharing a room with strangers - and some of them spend a lot of time in the bedroom.
The price doesn't include breakfast and the food there is not cheap. I didn't know if there was a kitchen in the hostel because when I checked in I wasn't told about anything. They just gave me my key card and a piece of paper with the room and bed number.
The laundry is 7 euros to wash and dry, but there are only two washing machines for a large number of beds. On top of that, one of the machines was broken, so one washing machine to be shared. If you need to do your laundry, hope that you are the only one.
Part of the staff was nice and friendly, but not all of them. I was received by a rude woman with bad English on my arrival.
I made my reservation directly at their own website and at the end I had to choose the time of arrival. I chose between 12-1 pm, but when I arrived, at 1 pm, I was told that I would have to wait, because the check-in time was only at 2 pm, so I had to pay for a locker in the basement while I went to have lunch, when all I wanted to do was to take a shower.
The location is not ideal, but it's a walking distance to Temple Bar and other attractions.

Room Tip: There are supermarkets around, but they are expensive. Walk a little bit and you'll find a cheap...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on the Generator Dublin. We appreciate all your comments good or bad as it gives us a great guide on how we can improve our customer service and facilities.

All your comments will be shared with the relevant departments for review.

We hope to see you back in the future.

Kentucky, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

My family (myself, husband and 2 grown young adult kids) stayed one night at the Generator. We booked a private room with 4 bunks and an en suite bath. The staff was friendly. The common areas were very nice (lobby, restaurant/bar). The bunks were comfortable and had reading lights/outlets on each bed. My only complaint was that our room was toward the front of the building and there was a loud group of people outside the entire night, drinking and carrying on. Was not conducive for a good night's sleep. The food was so-so, bar drinks on the expensive. Self-serve automatic luggage storage available. Good location (we walked to the Guinness Storehouse and Temple Bar areas). Would recommend to anyone looking for an inexpensive stay in Dublin.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not facing the front of the building.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on the Generator Dublin. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and thank you for all your nice comments.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Operations Manager

Been to Generator Hostel Dublin? Share your experiences!