“Great guided tour” 5 of 5 stars

and up
Ranked #3 of 217 Attractions in Dublin
Type: Cemeteries, Museums, Cultural
More attraction details
Owner description: Glasnevin Cemetery and Museum are both the guardians and storytellers for over 1.5 million people. From the ordinary to the truly extraordinary, these people helped shape the Ireland of today. We want to share their stories and times with you through tours of the cemetery, a visit to the museum or through a genealogy search for your family history. We are a not-for-profit organisation and all proceeds are used to sustain and improve our cemeteries to ensure they are places of beauty, interest and intrigue.
Geraldton, Australia
6 attraction reviews
“Great guided tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

I generally prefer to bumble around alone than suffer through a guided tour, but this one I highly recommend! Our guide was excellent and the the stories she told were fascinating. Our kids were perhaps a little young (9 & 12) to fully comprehend the information presented during tour.

Visited October 2013

Kildare, Ireland
14 attraction reviews
“A Real treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

I visited last weekend. Dublin was warm and sunny, and the museum and tour simply splendid. Uplifting, cheerful reviews of cemeteries must be rare. I visited Eva Peron's cemetery in Buenos Aires, Glasnevin was up there and beyond. A truly memorable experience.

Killarney, Ireland
3 attraction reviews
“Excellent day out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

I did the Glasnevin Cemetery tour on Tuesday. The staff in the shop were very nice, I was looking for one particular grave and he said he would mark it on a map for me, when I came back after the tour. Brigid was the lady who gave the tour and she was brilliant, it was fascinating listening to her and she knew so much about the place, and was able to get this across in a very good way. I was embarassed by how little of our history I knew, I've since bought some history books after being inspired by her!! Well worth a visit, great day.

london
“Guided tour recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Very interesting experience. The guided tour (by Laura) was brilliant. She was both entertaining and knowledgeable and introduced us to all the famous dead.

Dublin
15 attraction reviews
“Museum is OK, Cemetary is amazing.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

When you visit Glasnevin it is to visit the Cemetary not the museum. Don't get me wrong the museum is a good starting point but the cemetary is the jewel in the crown. Do not merely wander around the cemetary you will miss too much take the guided tour.... and spend a little bit of time in the museum. Nice cafe there.

Visited October 2013