“Everyone should take this tour” 5 of 5 stars

and up
Glasnevin Cemetery Tour in Dublin
Ranked #2 of 622 things to do in Dublin
More attraction details
Owner description: Glasnevin Cemetery and Museum are both the guardians and storytellers for over 1.5 million people. From the ordinary to the truly extraordinary, these people helped shape the Ireland of today. We want to share their stories and times with you through tours of the cemetery, a visit to the museum or through a genealogy search for your family history. We are a not-for-profit organisation and all proceeds are used to sustain and improve our cemeteries to ensure they are places of beauty, interest and intrigue.
Newtownards, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Everyone should take this tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Bridget, our tour guide was just wonderful, charming, informative and just loves her subject. It was a cold day but I was so busy listening to Bridget I forgot about the weather. There is so much history in that cemetery and I learnt so much.

Burghausen, Germany
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Impressive energy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I like cemetries, but I didn't visit one yet, that made me feel so much "with the dead". Even if I don't know anybody there personally.(Well.... didn't know....)

Dublin, Ireland
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Highly enjoyable - even in the rain!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

The two of us took a tour yesterday with Laura - we couldn't believe it had taken us locals so long to get around to it!

Our guide was pleasant, funny and incredibly well informed on Irish history and its relationship to the cemetery - we felt that we could have asked her anything! After first asking our group if there were any specific places/people in the cemetery that we would like to visit, we set off on a walking tour of the cemetery, seeing almost every figurehead Ireland has to offer. She took the time at each stop to explain the historical, cultural and political relevance of each person, including very interesting modern-day facts on how the sites and anniversaries were being treated by members of the public.

Highly recommended - an educational and enjoyable experience for tourists and locals!

ireland
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Excellant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Did the tour today,didnt think it would be our thing.Have to say we really enjoyed it!Bridget our tour guide was great..i learnt more off her in 2 hours than i did in my history classes in school .We found it very informative would now go back to the cemetary and have a better look around in the summer.

Dublin
“Glasnevin Cemetery”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I would highly recommend this tour. I was a bit reluctant initially. Did I really want to spend two hours in a cemetery? I did not feel the time. Bridget, the tour guide was so interesting and informative. We had a light lunch afterwards. All were happy.

Visited January 2013