“Great for primary aged children” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #63 of 289 Attractions in Dublin
Type: History Museums, Museums
More attraction details
Owner description: Dublinia is one of Dublin’s top visitor attractions with three exciting exhibitions all located at the historic crossroads of Dublin. There are three exciting exhibitions; Viking Dublin and Medieval Dublin recreate the city through life size reconstructions, including a Viking house and a medieval fair while Death and Disease are also investigated. Finally unearth the city’s past at the new interactive History Hunters exhibition, visit an excavation site, and see medieval bugs under the microscope in the Lab. See Dublin from a new perspective and come away knowing more about its citizens throughout the ages!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Chorley, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
“Great for primary aged children”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

The well laid out and interesting attraction provided a fun hour for myself and two teenagers. There's lots of interactive activities and some interesting information about the city. As a teacher, though, I thought it would make a fantastic school visit for primary aged children as that was generally the level of information on offer - no great depth of information.

Visited February 2013

• Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Hillswick, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
“Vikings on the toilet- great interactive museum”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I visited with a group of student friends on a university trip to Dublin. The exhibit was high quality, informative both for children and big kids such as ourselves.

Dublinia is wonderfully set out and takes you on a visual journey through the ages from Viking invaders founding Dublin right through to Medieval times. The last floor shows how archaeologists pieced together the history of Dublin. You can experience what it was like to live in a viking's house, walk through a medieval street and medieval market with stalls selling all sorts of oddities.

Lots of activities to keep adults and children entertained. We had lots of fun trying on helmets and viking clothes, throwing 'rotten tomatoes' at waxworks charged for stealing bread and we all stopped to make rubbings of our names in Viking runes.

Although at times the exhibition verged on being a bit cheesy and geared more towards children then adults, we loved it nonetheless. We especially had a belly laugh at the viking waxwork groaning on the toilet- although I can understand some may find him a bit much. We can only deduce that the viking diet was at times lacking in fiber.

For an additional 2 euros you can also visit the Christchurch Cathedral through the exit of Dublonia. We didn't as we ran out of time, but it was great value for money. I'd love to visit again when I'm next in Dublin.

Visited February 2013
Richmond, Rhode Island
“While strolling in Dublin....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Just a short walk from our hotel in Temple Bar, Dublinia was suggested by a local doorman. It is an incredible interactive adventure explaining both visually and through archeological discovery....Dublin's Medieval past. It was very entertaining and informative!! I believe this would be a great adventure for school age children (though I didnt have mine with me) as there are many interactive stations filled with both delightful role playing and educational tasks and games. I highly recommend Dublinia for the traveler and its a great way to pass the time while the rain pours down:)

Visited January 2013
21 attraction reviews
“Very interesting museum”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

We visited the Dublinia not expecting much, but we were positively surprised, as it was very interesting, the history and the museum.

Dublin, Tipperary, Ireland
“my catastrophe of a journey into the wilderness of Dublinia.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

it was awful,just awful my good sir! i was not embraced with a warm cup of cocoa when i entered the vacinity and a devlishly tasty scone :( i asked to purchase a buttered crumpet in the book shop but they told me they did not have any...i was displeased with this service. i hope to see an improvement when i return from catalona island (my country).Me and my minions will vacate dublinia if there are no scones,crumpets or hot cups of cocoa. i promise you my unlawful boy i am mad! they would not accept my local currency,the dime, im annoyed!!!

Visited December 2012