“A friendly oasis during the Big Freeze!!!” 4 of 5 stars

You added The Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
The Plaza Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Belgard Road 24 | Tallaght, Dublin, Ireland   |
Ranked #129 of 176 Hotels in Dublin
“A friendly oasis during the Big Freeze!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011

I needed a good bed for the night during the big snowstorm as I live quite far from work. My criteria was; close to the M50, good shopping (for the Xmas pressies), easy access and a bit of personality.

I had read that the Plaza Hotel in Tallaght was under new ownership and with a room only rate of €55 felt it was worth a gamble. They have a massive underground car park which was handy for thawing out my car. I took the lift to reception and was pleasantly suprised by the ambiance of the place. A little bit dated, but warm and clean.

I got a nice cosy room looking out over the snowy mountains - it was like looking at the Alps the next morning. The bed was good and the bathroom was quite plush. The free wifi was handy for catching up on facebook etc.

I had dinner in the bar - a nice steak & chips. Service was quick and the staff seemed to care about the guests that were snowbound in the hotel.

The hotel is slap bang beside The Square Shopping Centre so its very handy for some retail therapy. There's a nightclub in the basement but I didnt hear a thing in my room upstairs.

The Plaza Hotel does exactly what it is supposed to do and doesnt cost a bomb. I'd go back because its not a "chain" hotel and would stay there again no problem.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
dp1892, General Manager at The Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, January 11, 2011
Dear May64,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip advisor.

We are delighted to hear all your positive comments and I will be sure to pass them onto the team here at The Plaza Hotel.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Best Regards,

Darrell Penney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

We found the hotel warm and inviting with friendly staff. The rooms were spacious and comfortable and there were beautiful views from the Vista Cafe over the mountains which as it happened were covered in snow. There was a great selection from the menu in the Pub. It was an ideal location for us for shopping and sightseeing in Dublin. It certainly was value for money and included the car park space. I would recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
dp1892, Manager at The Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, January 4, 2011
Dear Serendipity008,

I was delighted to read your review on trip advisor. Thank you for posting it.

I have passed on your wonderful comments to my colleagues throughout the hotel. I do hope I get the opportunity to welcome you back to the Plaza hotel again soon.

Best Regards,

Wicklow
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2011

I have stayed at many hotels over the past few years because we often book a room if we're going to a party with family or friends, as we don't live near them.

We stayed at The Plaza a few years ago and I wasn't impressed then: the wallpaper was stained and shabby, the upholstery on the chairs were torn and in bad condition and the place stank of urine.

So I said I would never return.

However, we needed a place to stay for New Year's Eve as we were off to a party, and our first hotel of choice, The Maldron, was fully booked, so we had no choice but to stay at The Plaza.

I was not happy, but my other half said that it was just somewhere to rest and we wouldn't spend too much time in the room, so reluctantly, I agreed.

The Plaza has a huge sign outside at the moment, saying ROOMS FROM €55 but when we booked, we were told it would be €89.

So, we arrived at the hotel and the reception was as lovely as ever.

It's the only area of the hotel which actually fools you into thinking it's an upmarket stylish place to stay, with immaculately kept carpets and polished gold fittings and smart looking staff and in fairness, the check-in was quick and efficient.
However, as we arrived into our room, I was not surprised to find the place in the condition I expected it to be in.

It did *look* cleaner than the last visit, and in fairness, the bathroom was spotless.
But the wallpaper was still shabby and outdated, the chairs STILL torn and unclean looking and the bed was horrendous.
There was no welcome book- you know those bound folders which tell you about the hotel, which I found disappointing as I like looking through those.
The bed was like something you'd find at a hostel, all lumpy and bumpy and not at all comfortable.

There were no sockets beside the bed, which was very annoying as my partner needs to use a breathing machine at night.
We rang the reception and the man gave us an extension lead three hours after we requested it.

The iron fell off the wall, narrowly missing my partner's foot, and the wardrobe smelt musty and in need of upgrading.
The smell of urine seemed to be a thing of the past, which was good, but all in all, this place is awful.

There was no breakfast service because it was New year, which I thought silly as surely guests staying!

It looks impressive from the outside and the reception area is fabulous looking, but really, this place is not the luxurious haven of comfort they'd like you to think it is.
I said it before but this time I mean it- I will NEVER return.

The Maldron Hotel just five minutes away is absolutely beautiful and I highly recommend that.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
dp1892, Manager at The Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2011
Dear Glitta,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor.

It is always good to get feedback be it positive or negative.

We have recently been appointed as the new operators of The Plaza Hotel. We share your view that the building and lobby areas are impressive and fabulous and it is our intention to quickly extend this right throughout the property. We have already commenced refurbishing all of our bedrooms including a number of executive bedrooms & suites.

Please accept my apologies for the shortfallings and inconvenience caused during your recent stay with us.

I hope you will give us the opportunity to make up for our failings and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Plaza Hotel soon.

Warmest Regards,

Belfast, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

it was our wedding anniversary and we stayed for to nights .Our room was nice but the bathroom had a smell of urine. I told them this and they gave us another room. the bed was rock hard and the noise at night kept us awake most of the night.breakfast was good and the evening meal was also very good. the staff at reception were not very friendly they could have at lease smile .

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Wales, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

We stayed here for 3 nights as part of a bridge match - Dublin v Liverpool
I had read the reviews on Tripadvisor and was very concerned about what we would have - we are from the countryside so are used to it quiet

At check in I asked for a quiet room and the receptionist was extremely helpful - spending a lot of time identifying options. we got a room on the 3rd floor at the back and it was excellent - we heard very little noise from the hotel despite there being 2 functions on the saturday night. The room was large and very comfy. The free wi fi was excellent. Food was good - from breakfast to the gala dinner. Value for money - for what we got it was excellent value.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

nice place rooms a bit small but what do you expect for 45€ a night enjoyed our stay here beds comfortable enough but we didnt really go to sleep in the beds if ya know what i mean

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Bristol UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

...when you can get a turd in the bath. No seriously, after walking the 15 miles from the underground carpark to the 5th floor, I was pleasantly suprised by what appeared at first glance to be a clean and spacious bedroom. However, on further inspection I found that an unwelcome 'welcoming' gift had been deposited squarely in the middle of the bath. Luckily im more of a shower man, but this combined with the relentless noise from the disco below ensured I didn't sleep properly again until this place was firmly in the rearview mirror. If you dont like [--] in the bath, don't stay here.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple

Been to The Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!