“Hard to find!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #129 of 176 Hotels in Dublin
Lisburn, United Kingdom
“Hard to find!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

Visiting Dublin to go to the Zoo, ended up lost for hours as we couldn't find it(not signposted anywhere!) ended up going to the hotel early and staying there all night, had dinner in the pub which is attached, food was good but plates were cold so good quickly became cold too. The room was standard, old style TV, bed and bedside lamps which were tatty! Bathroom was fine but smelt of cigarette smoke for some reason, neither of us smoke so this was surprising. Tea and coffee making facilities in the room which was good. Also free wifi in the room.

• Stayed November 2012
Darrell P, General Manager at The Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Nikki H,

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review on tripadvisor.
Sorry to hear it took you some time to locate the hotel.
I was delighted to read that you had a comfortable stay and enjoyed the food on offer in McClafferty's Bar. I have noted your feedback with regard to the cold plates and smell of smoke in the bathroom, I have passed these onto the department managers concerned.

I do hope you return to he hotel in the near future. Thank you once again for the feedback.

Darrell Penney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Kelso, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Lovely weekend stay with very friendly and obliging staff. Manager was most helpful over an issue to do with booking and courteously paid for our meal as a show of grace when in fact he wasn't obliged to......handled the situation most professionally with a cheery disposition! Reception staff were extremely helpful, especially the gentleman who assisted me to use the computer to pay for the road toll(something that was quite alien to me!) The room was clean, spacious, with comfortable bed and on suite was immaculately clean and the room maid(claire) was most helpful in advising us of a good, quiet room away from nightclub noise....We slept like a babes! The function we were attending was well catered for and all breakfasts were wholesome , with again friendly service. We would highly recommend this hotel in future to our friends and family.

Room Tip: Speak to the in house staff, they are very helpful. Ask for a room away from the adjoining night clu...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Shirley F,

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay on tripadvisor.

Obviously I was delighted to read how positive your stay with us was for you. We were delighted to host the Old Boys Reunion dinner dance recently and the feedback we have received back has been absolutely super.
I was also happy to hear how satisfied you were with your bedroom and that the staff were extremely helpful to you during your visit. We consistently score highly for our standards of Housekeeping and Staff friendliness so to hear similar from you is especially pleasing.

Thank you once again for your feedback, I do hope you will return to the hotel in the not to distant future.

Warm Regards,
Darrell Penney,
Hatfield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I booked a three night stay at the end of October at the Plaza hotel!
I seriously wish i hadn't!!
I had decided that the plaza was a good choice as it was described as a four star hotel and had a restaurant!
The plaza is in no way a four star hotel,it does not have the facilities to be four star or the service and i will be having a meeting in regards to the 4* status it should be revoked instantly!!

I was staying due to a personal matter and had to stay alone, i met with a member of my family and we asked the reception if we could book a table at the restaurant ,i had no words spoken to me just a finger pointed to the PUB!!!next door.We in a little shock walked into the pub and was amazed at the fact it wasnt even a cosy friendly pub it was the sort i expect next to a 1* hotel.
We sat for 45 mins and even though we tried to get the attention of the waitress it seemed impossible.We walked out and went instead to a very nice chinese resturant which had class and a 4* star ambience,we had again asked to go into the restaurant but was refused!!No explanation,zero.!!
The receptionist just sits at there table no hello,no everything ok ,NO SERVICE.
I asked for a taxi ,a company that would not over charge and was handed an out of date leaflet and they sat back in there seat.
My next fantastic exchange with the reception all the same lady ,I came down and asked if she could tell me who called me at my room while i slept as i missed the call she shrugged and said why would i know i only just came on my shift, i replied well i am expecting a call from my fiance from poland and its important do you have a hand over,she said ok ill check.She then again shrugged her shoulders no nothing here!!!Thats it no ill try and find out or sorry ..Nothing!!
Now i know sometimes people dont like to work in a hotel but customer service and a clean room are paramount and we the customer are what keep you in business and i received neither.
I asked her why was she so rude and i got an innane grin back.And i was aware the manager was listening in the back office ,he didnt come out he did also nothing!!
The room was old fashioned ,had terrible facilities and yes noise.!!!How can the manager say no complaints about noise there is a club ,right next door!!And the bathroom had loads of black hair and grey pubic hair all over it.Im blonde and young and have neither!!!!
I have never left a review about anything in my life on a site for something but it was such an unpleasant experience in a very rough part of the town that i am shocked that it hasnt been demolished and with a recession there are many people looking for work ,i would advise the manager to change his front of desk staff and find warm,friendly helpful people!!Only one guy was reasonably polite.
One positive point,Breakfast!!Cheap for what you can eat and apart from the sausages actually very good value!!And the restaurant that you dine in for breakfast was actually very pleasant!!With views at the window .and i am so shocked that this area was not available to dine in the evening.It is quite possible the saving grace in this dying hotel and should be used more efficiently.
I will be taking this further and will be seeking reviews from other customers.
I really do not like to make a fuss over nothing and am happy to just quietly let small discrepancies pass but i have never felt so uncomfortable anywhere before!!And that receptionist should be disciplined!!
I know though that i will be just ignored and so i will be making sure others know just how terrible it was!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Lovely hotel, comfy room but got too warm at night, was very noisy due to wedding in the hotel but that didn't bother us. The older guy that bought us the baby cot was a gentle man and very friendly. Girls at reception could smile a bit more. Food in the pub was yummy and cozy place. Will come back for sure.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Sachafierce,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on tripadvisor.
I was delighted to read your positive comments with regard to your recent stay.
The Chef will be especially pleased to read how you enjoyed your meal in the hotel.

I have passed your kind words onto the Management & Staff.

Many thanks once again.

Regards,
Burnley, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

My husband & I with 4 friends visited this hotel for 4 days this November and found it excellent and well placed for visiting Dublin and The Wicklow Mountains. It was spotlessly clean, excellent service, very pleasant staff and wonderful food. Hope to go back before to long and would certainly recommend to all. There's an delightfult little pub in the town called The Dragon Inn which again is full of Irish hospitality and warmth.the you fancy an evening drink elsewhere.

Room Tip: 202 second floor is a spacious corner room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear AnneMarieCoppock,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay on tripadvisor.

In recent months we have received much praise for our standards of housekeeping, quality of food and most of all our staff so I am especially pleased to note how highly you rate us in these categories also.

I have passed your wonderful comments onto the Management & Staff who will also take great pleasure in reading same.

Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Belfast, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband & I had booked here for a 2 night relaxing break, sun to tue. When we arrived it was not at all what we expected, the location looks very dodgy & unsafe. When we got into the main reception, the reception area don't look very clean, staff at front reception were polite. Our room was nice decor but the furniture was stained & chipped, the bed was so small & uncomfortable, the sheets were worn. When we went to bed we couldn't sleep as there was a nightclub pumping down below us, so we left it until 12am to see if it would stop & it didn't so I phoned reception to complain, they moved us room & it was even worse!! We hardly got any sleep.... As 7am came & someone had their tv blasting, & you could hear every noise from the hallway, not impressed!! We decided not to stay another night, absolutely unacceptable. It is definitely not a 4 star hotel, more like 3 star.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Lynnep5,

Obviously I was extremely disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us.
There is no excuse for the disruption you experienced during your stay and I am extremely sorry that we failed to find you a more comfortable and quieter room when you brought the issues to our attention.

I am saddened to learn that you will do not wish to return to the hotel, however I would welcome an opportunity to welcome you back in the future and restore your faith in our hotel. Should you be visiting Dublin again in the future I would appreciate if you contact me at darrellpenney@plazahotel.ie.

Thank you once again for your helpful feedback.

Stroud, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Modern hotel some way out of town (35mins?) but on the tram line. Clean, tidy, good condition, staff pleasant and helpful. We were on a coach tour so the menu was a preset limited choice, but the food was good. It is quite a large hotel but there is only one lift and the bar, restaurant and cafe are not particularly large. We heard complaints from people who had rooms on the front concerning the noise from people leaving a halloween party in one of the function rooms.

Room Tip: Possibly keep off front rooms at the weekend
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear paulandvalerie,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us on tripadvisor.

I was delighted to learn that you had a comfortable and enjoyable stay and that you enjoyed dining with us also.

I have passed your comments onto the Management & Staff who will also be delighted with the feedback.

Thank you once again.

Darrell Penney

Been to The Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!