“Can't recommend it highly enough, always my first port of call in Dublin” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ariel House

You added Ariel House to your Saves list
Ariel House
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   50-54 Lansdowne Road | Ballsbridge, Dublin 4, Ireland   |
Special Offer
Book Direct Here!
Ranked #5 of 176 Hotels in Dublin
Youghal, Ireland
“Can't recommend it highly enough, always my first port of call in Dublin”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I have stayed in Ariel House on a number of occasions over the years, mostly when in Dublin for work. I have never ever been disappointed and if I have to spend a night in Dublin now, my first port of call is always this beautiful guest house. Even when given the last room they have, I feel like I am being treated to something special. Every room I have stayed in is spacious, comfortable and warm with luxurious bathrooms. Every room is different too, so it's always a lovely surprise to see where I end up. Breakfast is possibly one of the best I have had in any guesthouse (and I am fussy) and the staff and management are charming and helpful. The guesthouse gets a lot of tourists, but also caters well to business travellers and couples. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Room Tip: They're all gorgeous!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Turkish first
Wexford, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Ariel house is the best. Extremely Clean and modern with updated fixtures and furniture. Very comfortable and great staff. Close to Dart(train) with easy access to Dublin. Very nice area lots of great restaurants and stores within a 5 minute walk.

Room Tip: All rooms are good some are in the basement better view from main floor.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

The Ariel House is in a lovely, quieter area of Dublin. That means it's a little distance to shops and restaurants, but we walked and it is no more than about 15 or 20 minutes. Service was very good. The room was clean and comfortable, and had a front view. The bathroom had a blow dryer, a bath/shower, and a towel heater. The shower could have had better pressure. The breakfast may be the best feature--definitely a must-try! And home-baked pastries are set out in the drawing room (lobby) every afternoon, as well as tea and coffee. The price of 85 euros per night was an incredible deal. One drawback for some would be climbing the stairs with your suitcase--both in the front of the building and up to your room. No elevator.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We arrived in the early morning after a full house the night before. Our rooms were not ready but
2 "garden level" rooms had been vacated early and were offered to us once cleaned. We were told the rooms would be ready for us to look at in 15-20 minutes but it was more like an hour. After navigating a maze of stairs,corridors and doors we found the two rooms. One had a lovely
oriel window overlooking the garden-but had no window covering other than the heavy drapes so there was little privacy without totally blocking out the light. The other was a dark corner room with sheer window coverings and overdrapes! Travelling as two tired jet-lagged couples we opted for these rooms rather than wait until after 2pm for better quarters to become available. My husband and I took the corner room and were told it was totally private and only the gardener had access to the adjacent walkway and that was only on Friday. Imagine my surprise when I lay down for a short nap and looked up to see a utility workman directly outside our window.

The room bore little resemblance to the pictures on the website with the exception of the fabrics used for bedspreads and draperies. The wood furnishings were scratched and nicked and the upholstered furniture had stains and burns. The carpeting, as well, had seen better days.

However, the service was quite attentive and the breakfast offered many ala carte offerings which were were prepared. The wait staff was fairly uncoordinated so requests were slow or non existent in being fulfilled. Frankly, I think the property is shortstaffed as the same person who handled reception also served in the breakfast room, answered the phones, etc. Too much for one person and the gaps in continuity were apparent.

The location is in a residential neighborhood but is close to the Lansdowne DART station which takes you to the City Center in 2 stops.

Caution regarding Garden level rooms as they can be noisy, dark and hidden in a rat maze of
corridors..

Room Tip: Do not accept a Garden level room. They bear no relation to the quality of the professional photos...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

My stay at the Ariel House was absolutely delightful. The service was friendly and warm and the receptionist did not blink and eye whilst helping me cart my over 28 kg bag up 2 flights of stairs which I was immensely grateful for so don't let the stairs put you off. The room was charming and cozy with 2 huge windows and an ensuite bathroom with bathtub and a modern shower attached. We had large single beds with a lovely view of Lansdowne Rd. But the best part of Ariel House is the food. Their afternoon tea was of the highest quality as we were served smoked salmon sandwiches, cakes as well as freshly baked scones, clotted cream and jam. Our breakfast which came with the price of the room was amazing. The first time I had heard of a two course breakfast!!!! On top of that, you had a buffet of cereal and fruit together with cakes and danishes. I had the traditional Irish breakfast which was great. My friend who is vegetarian enjoyed her selection immensely. Suffice to say I was so stuffed from breakfast that I skipped lunch. It was definitely the perfect end to my Irish experience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

We chose the Ariel House due to the proximity to Aviva Stadium, but also due to the reviews on Trip Advisor. I never book a hotel till I read Trip Advisor.
First, let me talk about the hotel- it is a charming group of houses convertered to a hotel. Since there are only 30 rooms, the staff and the guests have a lot of interaction. We spent most evenings in the parlor with either a cup of tea or a glass of wine getting to know our other travelers.

The food at Ariel House is outstanding. The breakfast is prepared by all fresh and local ingredients. Breads from a local baker, cheeses from a local cheese makers. You taste the quality. The baked goods are made on site by the staff. I'd have loved to have a lesson on baking scones! Maybe next time. The brown bread is not to be missed! I got the recipe!

Now onto the staff. They are the real reason to come to the Ariel House. Diedra leads a staff of hard working, very friendly staff. Jessica, Jana, Eoin, and others went out of their way to fix you a cup of tea, give you directions, and make sure you were comfortable. I was impressed that some of the other guests have been coming to Ariel House for years.

I'm not sure when we will get the opportunity to return to Ireland, but when we do, we will return to Ariel House.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I'm actually attempting to not be too effusive about this place, but it's difficult.
We actually stayed on two separate nights at Ariel House during our holiday in Ireland.
I initially chose this B & B because of its impressive TA reviews.
They have the best people here, starting with Deidre who is the hospitality maven.

I was so impressed with Egle, she helped me install the Vodaphone Sim card for Ireland.
BTW, if you want to check in with the US by phone this is an inexpensive option at only 20 euros It worked flawlessly. Egle is a charming and very helpful person, but so is Jana, who was so willing to share, and has an amazing smile.
Owen was stellar also, he left his post at the front desk to bring my heavy golf bag up the front stairs.

The breakfast room employees are also very friendly and helpful. I enjoyed speaking with Ewa, and several others on the wait staff.
The breakfast is impressive.
There's fruits and all sorts of cereals, and juices to start.
Then they give you an extensive menu to select from. My son ordered several entrees and enjoyed them all. My nephews, who were not staying at this property were offered breakfast. The staff even prepaired a to go bag with coffee and breads.
The cook at the Ariel House is supurb. She made some of the best scrambled eggs I've ever had.
You can linger over breakfast if you wish, they provide copies of the local newspaper.
Ariel House has a great Tea Time from about four PM on. There are many different types of tea,
along with a selection of baked cakes and cookies.
To work off some of the extra pounds you might acquire, Ariel House provides access to a nearby fitness club.
My first room was very large with a queen size fourposter bed. All the furniture is antique from a period half a century ago. This ambiance transports you to that bygone era.
They provide at least 8 bath towels, and face towels, along with enough shampoo and shower gel to last several weeks.
Ariel house has a prime location in the most desireable suburb of Ballsbridge. The DART train is a short walk away as are several bus lines, and taxis are all around this area. Aviva Stadium is in their back yard literaly, if you're in for a match.
This is in Dublin 4 a very quiet yet very close location.
My only concern was the Internet service. It seemed to knock off every hour and had to be restarted.
But, we were so busy traveling in and around Dublin, this was a minor issue.
Deirdre runs a very impressive property and I will call her upon our return to Dublin. Hopefully not everyone will check out Trip Advisor.

Room Tip: I had read on TA that some rooms were dark and uncomfortable. I stayed in two very bright rooms. I...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Ariel House? Share your experiences!