“Enjoyed our stay but beware of smoking rooms being allocated” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Temple Bar Hotel

Save Saved
You added Temple Bar Hotel to your Saves list
Temple Bar Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   13 Fleet Street | Temple Bar, Dublin D2, Ireland (Temple Bar)   |
Ranked #72 of 175 Hotels in Dublin
Hampshire
“Enjoyed our stay but beware of smoking rooms being allocated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

Enjoyed our stay here.. breakfast was good. Yes it is noisyand if you are a light sleeper you may have problems sleeping. The hotel is right in the middle of Temple Bar district and the rooms are situated directly above a busy and noisy bar so why people complain of the noise is beyond me !! Research prior to booking might have helped?!?!
However, my only complaint was having been allocated a smoking room when we were non smokers. The room was very small and stunk of stale smoke. When I raised my concerns with the front staff they advised me it was because I booked through a third party and it wasn't their fault?! Given that we were in a party of friends , and we all booked the holiday as one party together; we were the only couple allocated a smoking room so the reason given was clearly not accurate. A substandard small smoking room when we had all paid the same I did not deem to be fair.
However, this aside, we had a great time here - just double check with front desk when checking in your preference on smoking or non smoking.
Oh and 'Mr Happy' the older guy bar tender (grey hair and glasses) at the residents bar is a MUST go and see.. see if you can crack a smile out of him... We failed on all three nights we frequented the bar!! Hilarious!!

Room Tip: State smoking or non smoking at check in
  • Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
tbhmgt, General Manager at Temple Bar Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2011
Dear Marms,
Thanks for your review. We do have some smoking rooms in the hotel as there is still a huge demand for them. I have raised your complaint with the Front Office Manager as the answer you were given is not a genuine reason for being allocated a smoking room. The bar tender you refer to must have been having a ‘bad’ weekend as he normally so chirpy and friendly and has received a lot of great reviews here on Trip Advisor. I will definitely have a word with him though as we pride ourselves on our friendly staff and it’s really disappointing to hear that he was unfriendly to you.
I am glad to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay here and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again.
Kind regards,
Temple Bar Hotel, Dublin’s most centrally located hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

Stayed here back in March with a friend of mine who was visiting Dublin for the weekend. Locaton is ideal for the city centre, however unless you are out clubbin every night you won't get a wink of sleep! Rooms are not of a great standard and even the non-smoking room we requested smelt of cigarette smoke. Rates were a little expensive for the current climate. Next time I am looking to stay in Dublin City I will shop around a lot more!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Dear lmcgloughlan11,

Thanks for your review on Trip Advisor. I am sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy your stay. I will speak with the Accommodation Manager regarding the smell of smoke in a non-smoking room. We have just completed an upgrade of our bathrooms so I believe our rooms are of a good standard.

I am glad to hear you enjoyed our city centre location.

Glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

A great city centre hotel, ideally located at edge of temple bar, minutes from O'Connell bridge and 5 minute walk from Trinity College. The staff are very helpful and courteous.
Rooms are standard and fairly modern. If you have not booked bed and breakfast, purchase a breakfast ticket for the next morning the evening before (8 euro per person for full Irish breakfast) - it is worth it when compared to the cost of eating out.

There is a Tesco directly across the street from the hotel to get snacks/drinks etc.
There is a great little Italian restaurant - La Gondola - about 50 metres from the hotel towards temple bar. Just a little down a side street. Great food and value for money.

A visit to Kilmainan Gaol is a must.

Room Tip: Quieter at back of hotel.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
tbhmgt, General Manager at Temple Bar Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2011
Dear Tom384Glasgow,

Thanks for your lovely review, I was happy to hear yet another guest comment on the value for money we offer. Our central location obviously ensured your stay with us was a perfect one.

I agree with the recommendation on Kilmainham Gaol, it offers a great insight into Irish republican history.

Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

This hotel is in an excellent location for enjoying the fun of Temple Bar and also a great base to discover the historical sights of Dublin. Has friendly and attentive staff We stayed midweek just 1 night as base to visit the Olympia Theatre on Dame Street as its in nice walking distance from the hotel .
The rooms are spotlessly clean we had a triple room at the back of the hotel and it was nice and quite it was a good size, the furnishings are up to date, flat screen TV, and generous size bathroom. The hotel is surrounded by a myriad of excellent restaurants and pubs. Parking is a reasonable €15 per night in a multi storey car park across the street which his discounted by the hotel for your stay with them.
We had a lovely time, would have liked to have stayed longer..

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Dear 186470Katie,
Thank you for taking the time to write an excellent review on Temple Bar Hotel. Perhaps the next time you are in Dublin you will get to stay longer and enjoy all the sights that are walking distance from the hotel. The Olympia is a lovely theatre and there are lots of great shows there on a regular basis.
We look forward to welcoming you back.

Derry, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

We stayed in The Temple Bar Hotel at the end of April and we had a wonderful time. The hotel is so handy to all the attractions in the City, and it is very welcoming. The staff are friendly and we saw only smiling faces for our total stay. The food was excellent and there was loads of choices for the breakfast menu. It was great value.
I would recommend this hotel to all my friends, and we wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else now when we return to Dublin.
Thank you to all the staff for making our trip so memorable.

Dear Grannysam066,
What a lovely review, I will be circulating it to all staff who are always thrilled to read such great reviews – it will be certain to make them smile even more! I’m glad you enjoyed the food and you felt you got good value. I am grateful to you for recommending us to your friends and we really are looking forward to having you stay here again soon.

Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

We stayed at the Temple Bar hotel based upon the recommendation of friends who stayed there for their honeymoon. Check in was fine and first impressions good. Our room (112) was a little smaller than we imagined and also smaller than our friends who we travelled with. We were at the back of the hotel, opposite a club of some sort. We did not experience any noise from the club but this may have been because we stayed mid-week. The room itself, although very compact, was adequate for our needs and had tea/coffee making facilities available. There was enough storage for our clothes etc and a modern bathroom suite. Cleanliness was good and the room was changed daily. The window in our bedroom did not close properly, which did allow a lot of noise from outside to travel in to our room. This was particularly a problem when the beer barrels were been changed behind the hotel at five o' clock in the morning.
The big issue and reason why we had a poor experience was due to the most rude member of staff I have ever experienced in my life. In the hotel was a vending machine, which after a night out we decided we would use. However, the vending machine took our money and did not drop the snacks we paid for. When we asked on reception, the night duty manager said he would send someone up right away to look at the machine. The guy who came up, obviously had a massive issue with customers and the hotel and proceeded to tell us that it was not his job to sort the problem out and we should put more money in to see if it worked. My wife told we would not and he should try to sort it out, at which point the man proceeded to become rude and aggressive to us with our friends watching on. He basically said where he came from people could barely afford to eat and here we were complaining about a broken vending machine, we should phone the number on the machine. We told him he had a poor attitude, asked for his name and he became really aggressive, almost tearing his shirt off incredible hulk style to show us his name badge. He also demanded to know our room number, I told him he could not have it and he threatened to look it up on the system (to what end we were not sure). Anyway, we went down to reception and complained directly to the manager and the man came storming round the corner and hurled abuse at the manager in front of us. At this point, I said to the manager how disgusted we were and left them to it. My wife was quite concerned by the threatening behaviour of the man so we made sure our bedroom door was secured properly that night. We both could not believe the behaviour of a member of staff to customers and quickly followed it up with reception the following morning. The duty manager spoke to us and was only too apologetic, leaving us a little apology letter and free bottle of wine. However, the damage was done and even though we are regular travellers to Dublin, we doubt we could stay at the Temple Bar Hotel again after such an experience. I hope the member of staff is dealt with appropriately as I would not wish other guests to experience his anger. Our friends who before this only had praise for the hotel would not return either. I would like the hotel to let me know what happened with our complaint as I did complete a feedback form and leave it with reception.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
tbhmgt, General Manager at Temple Bar Hotel, responded to this review, May 5, 2011
Dear Yorkshire_sith,

I would like to extend my sincere apologies for this incident which occurred during your recent stay with us. I would like to assure you that we take these matters very seriously and this type of behavior is completely unacceptable. In this case the incident is under investigation by our HR department. I completely understand your annoyance and upset as I was very surprised and disappointed myself when I read the incident report. You have expressed your intension not to return which I understand, but if you do decide at a later time to give us another chance I can guarantee you that this incident was an isolated one and is not typical of the service we provide here.

Sincere apologies,

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2011

Stayed for 2 nights taking advantage of the midweek offer 2 nights and 3 course dinner, firstly I would like to say this was excellent value for money.
Hotel was in a great location, all local attractions within 20 mins walk.
Buffet breakfast quality and choice was brilliant.
Was upgraded free of charge to an executive suite as the hotel was not fully occupied. Room was massive and spotless.
Huge king size bed and very comfy.
Room was fairly cold but there was a thermostat that could be adjusted which helped increase the temperature.
Only grumble was the noise during early hours of the morning.The two large windows looked out over a cobbled back street so although we didnt get any noise from the nightclubs/bars we did experience, which can only be discribed as, early morning barrell deliveries and road sweepers. Both mornings we were woken by firstly the road sweeper at 4am which went up and down the road 4 times and was incredebly noisy, I would agree and compare this to an earlier review I read stating it sounded like you were in the middle of a runway.
Then the beer deliveries both mornings around 6am, sounded like barrell's were being pushed down a ramp off a van, straight onto the cobbled street and then pushed to the hotel. This lasted a good few hours and made going back to sleep impossible, luckily it gave us chance to get up early and explore the city.
Other than the noise the hotel was lovely. Reception staff very friendly.

Dear BeccyB1986,

Thanks for your review. I am glad to hear you booked our great value mid-week stay with dinner available to book exclusively on the hotel website. It was great that the team was able to offer you a complimentary upgrade.

I am sorry to hear that you experienced some noise during your stay but it’s great to see you saw the positive side and got up and explored the city.

I will pass your kind comments onto the staff here and I hope you will return to stay with us again soon.

Temple Bar Hotel, Dublin’s most centrally located hotel

Been to Temple Bar Hotel? Share your experiences!