“Great value hotel in a great location” 4 of 5 stars

Herbert Park Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ballsbridge 4, Dublin, Ireland   |
Ranked #67 of 176 Hotels in Dublin
Ireland
“Great value hotel in a great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

I've stayed in the Herbert Park hotel many times and never took the time to write a reveiw until now.
What prompted me this time was that the check-in staff had my name before I opened my mouth!!

It's a very good value hotel with fine rooms and very convenient to sports venues, pubs and restuarant. It i also a 20 minute walk to the centre of Dublin.
It is beside Herbert Park, which in fine weather, is a lovely space to spend an hour.

This hotel is friendly, spacious, but low key. You won't find stag or hen parties here. All rooms have tv's with Sky Sports which is a real bonus for the sports enthusiast.

They do charge €10 a day for parking, but look out for inclusive deals.

One down side is that if you're on a room only basis, breakfast is expensive.

I always return to the Herbert Park Hotel

Room Tip: A view of Herbert Park is nice.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
pbarry, Sales & Marketing Manager at Herbert Park Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review and your positive comments about the hotel and our location. Great to see that you are a regular guest sharing your experience on previous stays with us.
Sales & Marketing Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

The management did not show any flexibilty or understanding regarding a last minute cancellation due to a personal misunderstanding. The result is that we paid for a room that we did not occupy.

Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Cork, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

From check in.... a €405 deposit was taken out of my credit without my consent ....to check out which left me stuck at hotel barrier due to the must unhelpful receptionist....rooms ok….food ok…..better hotels and locations in Dublin…would not recommend or stay again …………

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry that you were unhappy with your stay with us. On check-in we take a pre-authorisation on your credit card for the accommodation charge and security on the room which is a normal standard practice in hotels. The actual charge to the card is made on check-out when the bill is final. I apologise if this was not explained clearly to you at the time. The Receptionist mis-understood your parking arrangements on your departure which is when we validate parking tickets to allow guests to exit the car park. I apologise for the inconvenience caused to you.
Richmond, London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

This has to be one of the most disappointing hotels we have stayed at. Every encounter with the staff took the hotel down one more notch. We arrived in Dublin to go househunting and this hotel was chosen for us by my husbands's assistant as she thought it would be a good, family friendly place, close to where we were looking at houses.

On arrival, no one is at the doors- staff inside will watch you quite complacently while you drag your luggage in piece by piece. We called ahead to request early check in as we were travelling with our 22 month old daughter. We were assured we could have it but on arriving after an early flight with a cranky child, we had to wait in the lobby for close to 2 hours. They said that this was because they were trying to give us a larger room. When we finally got to our room it looked very much a standard hotel room size (what was the earlier room, a matchbox?)

The ryanair bit- everything in this hotel has a charge- if you order a meal you pay a tray charge of 6.50 euros per person. With two people staying in a room, if you order breakfast and pay a 13 euro tray charge it very nearly costs as much as a full breakfast. I'm not particularly penny pinching and I believe in paying for good service or value but this provded neither. Internet is charged (but then to be fair it is at most Dublin hotels) at either 15 or 20 euros a day per device. With my laptop, my husband's and both our iphones needing to be connected- well.. On my next visit to Dublin we stayed at the Four Seasons which I found to be better value- a flat tray charge of 5 euros, cheaper food which was much tastier, package internet of 24 euros for 4 devices and they upgraded us to a junior suite at no extra cost- no comparison really!

The food was indifferent too, served by grumpy staff who were annoyed at having to wait a minute or two outside my door (with a trolley) after showing up 10 minutes before the time I requested my breakfast. Staff in the restaurants were rude and off-putting. I asked for a high chair and received one about 15 minutes into the meal (which we had a 45 min wait for) after the staff had served everyone else who came in much after us. The high chair was dirty and broken too.

Each interaction with concierge or reception took the hotel down a few more points. I rang concierge to ask if there was anything I could do on a wet day with my little girl only to be told that apart from taking her to the mall, there was nothing really! The RDS is next door and had a lovely exhibit on I later found. A complete lack of imagination on their part and a waste of a good afternoon. The front desk staff seemed to be nice to some guests and I had the impression that they had to take a liking to you for you to get good service.

The only thing that is really nice about this hotel is its proximity to Herbert park where children can have a nice run about and feed the ducks. Otherwise, Avoid, Avoid, Avoid! I wouldn't stay there again if it were the last hotel in Dublin.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
I am most disappointed to hear the details of your stay with us. It would have been useful to have been alerted to your experience prior to your departure from the hotel so that I or a member of the Management Team could have met you in person to discuss your stay. If you would like to contact me directly regarding your stay please email me on info@herbertparkhotel.ie . I look forward to hearing from you.
Loch Gorman
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

Great location in ballsbridge. Food and rooms were good but we had one issue which started out small but was dealt with in such a poor manner by staff and management that it ruined the family night out for us.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
pbarry, Sales & Marketing Manager at Herbert Park Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2011
Dear Guest,
I am sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your stay with us. I was not made aware of your issues around the time of your stay so I would appreciate it if you would contact me directly on info@herbertparkhotel.ie to establish the details and to see if we can put things right for you.
Donegal
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

Reception staff were pleasant. The room, while clean, was basic with bath/shower combo. The bed was basically 2 beds loosely shoved together. The a/c was noisy & smelled badly. The room was interconnecting even though we didnt request this & we had to talk in whispers to avoid disturbing the neighbours. (We could hear their comversations plainly) The hotel decor was lovely, however, we paid e230 for a room only & this was very poor value for money as the room was so basic.

Room Tip: Specifically request a
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am disappointed to hear that you did not feel the hotel offered you value for money. I know that the Bon Jovi concert was on in the adjacent RDS which meant that the rooms were sold at a premium, as was the case with all hotels local to the venue. You booked an Executive Room which is more expensive than our Standard Rooms. We take on board your comments and we have checked out the air-conditioning and noise in the room you stayed in, so thanks for letting us know.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

I was here as part of a business trip. The hotel is well situated and a lovely park just out the back. Room was nice and contained everything you would expect from a 4 star hotel. Clean and comfortable. Breakfast was great and included in the price which was not overly expensive. Good bar. All in all this hotel is great, serves its purpose and I would go back.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
pbarry, Sales & Marketing Manager at Herbert Park Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Herbert Park Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed the facilities of the hotel and indeed the location. We do hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Sales & Marketing Manager

Been to Herbert Park Hotel? Share your experiences!