“Really nice hotel, lovely walk into the centre..” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Hotel

You added Hampton Hotel to your Saves list
Hampton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   19-29 Morehampton Rd, Donnybrook, Dublin 4, Ireland (Formerly Sachs Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #28 of 176 Hotels in Dublin
Bristol
“Really nice hotel, lovely walk into the centre..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My wife took me to Dublin as a surprise birthday present to see the band Muse and booked the Hampton hotel in Donnybrook.

Our early flight from Bristol got us into Dublin nice and early and the bus from the airport took us directly outside the hotel.

Too early to check in, but the receptionist was really friendly and let us leave our small backpacks with her. As it was early we sat down in the restaurant and tried to get some breakfast..... Tried being the key word here as even though it wasn't that busy (3-4 tables inc us) we just didn't get served...after what felt like eternity (probably only 15 minutes) we decided to leave as we still couldn't get the waitresses attention.

We headed south for a couple of minutes by foot and found a great cafe (I think it's called Cafe Java). The breakfast there was top notch !!

After a great day in Dublin we came back to the hotel to actually check in and change before going to the gig. The room was great, very large, very spacious, huge bathroom.

The tv was a monster flat screen and the remote also controlled the really cool looking fire, there was also free wifi that was quick enough to Facetime home.

After the gig we came back to the hotel for a cocktail nightcap and saw a few people waiting to get into the club downstairs. We had read some reviews that the club was noisy but we didn't hear a thing and slept really well.

Overall a really nice hotel in a really nice part of town, nice rooms, great decor, really sensibly priced and in sensible walking distance to the centre. Whilst the breakfast service was really slow when we arrived; we at least got to sample the breakfast at Java twice.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Greek first
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Really enjoyed our stay at the Hampton. 4 couples altogether, we were in Dublin for the SA rugby game. Had breakfast in the hotel, which was very good, and the bar kindly stayed open rather late. Hotel is a bit out of the way from town, but easy walking distance to the Aviva Stadium. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. Rooms are nice and spacious, with a good-sized bathroom.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
sligo ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

we were very disappointed with our 1 night stay here--if we had booked a second night we would not have stayed!! beware there are at least 10 steps up to front door--no ramp access-this caused a major problem for me as I my mobility is restricted at present--this was a huge surprise as I had telephoned a few days before to check access etc + was reassured there would be no problems!! on admission there were 3 front desk staff--all stood and looked at me when I broached the difficulty I had with steps etc--no explanation was forthcoming. the lift to our room was tiny--barely fitted 2 with 2 suitcases, not helful to those who suffer from claustrophobia--it's a very old style lift--you must wait for the inner door to open before you can open the outer door!!!on exiting the lift we found ourselves in a very dark coridoor-pained purple--a very dark shade which was somewhat appropriate for Halloween!! we stayed in rm 202--upgrade exec room--it was very cold--no heating on--when turned on it did work well, however the noise from the unit was keeping us awake so we had to turn it off--this meant the room was freezing again during the night. The tv is huge, the sofa in front rather low but looks nice-the bed was very uncomfortable--the mattress was lumpy, and was actually 2 single beds held together with the sheet, this meant it tended to move. The bathroom was a good size, nice double sinks, however, the bath is quite deep--this means that climbing into the bath was impossible for me--another disappointment as I had asked re this when I telephoned the hotel before booking. We were lucky that the nightclub was not open during our stay, however, noise was still a problem, even though our room backs onto a small lane, on retiring a lorry was reversing up the laneway with lots of noise. The windows on this room have no double glazing--they are lovely old fashioned sash windows but not 4 star standard.
Breakfast was a disaster-5 steps down to bar area--breakfast is not self service so you have no chance to se what's available before choosing-- the full irish was blighted by a soggy handful if old limp lettuce with some kind of vinegarette in it--this had run into some of the items which meant neither of us could eat some of the items they were so acidic. The bacon was obviously very old/ had been frozen--the fat on it was yellow, the sausage inedible the white pudding very spicy. We had to ask for juice--none was offered. The staff showed no interest in us but preferred to stay at the bar area. Suffice to say we will not be back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
hamptonhotel, General Manager at Hampton Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear Benbulben,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay.

Firstly, I would like to apologize for the standard at breakfast. I can assure you that all of our meat products are cooked fresh and our kitchen strictly adheres to the HACCP guidelines for cooking and storage procedures. All of our breakfast dishes are cooked to order allowing us to cater individually for our guests' dietary requirements if/when we are informed of them.

We pride ourselves on providing outstanding customer service, I am very sorry to hear of the experience that you had with our waiters in our restaurant at breakfast. Please be assured that this is not our usual standard of operation. We are currently in staff training and are constantly improving our practices.

The person you spoke to on the phone when you called prior to making your reservation was myself. The questions you posed were whether there would be noise from the nightclub on the night you were staying which I declined as you stayed on a Thursday night and the club was closed. Furthermore, you asked me whether all of our showers were over bathtubs which I confirmed. Unfortunately, at no point during our conversation did you in fact mention that you were on crutches and were experiencing difficulties with stairs. Otherwise, I would have informed you about the nature and structure of the hotel which is housed in 6 original Georgian townhouses and a listed structure featuring original Georgian features such as the sash windows in our rooms.
Furthermore, I personally offered you the option of contacting our team when and if you chose to use the bar bistro or leave the hotel so a member of our staff could bring you into the bar area through the back of house which involves less steps into the bar bistro than when entering from the reception area and only 1 step onto the pavement outside. I have been informed that this is not an offer you chose to take us up on.

Our heating system is individually controlled for each room. Our maintenance team has checked the room you stayed in and has verified that the heating is working correctly. I'm sorry you didn't inform us when you thought your room was too cold while you were here. We would have been happy to set the heating for you at a comfortable level.

Again, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience encountered in our bar bistro. Should you return to our hotel in the future, please contact me directly and I would be delighted to look after you.

Kind Regards,
Christiane Foller
Acting General Manager
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Was in Dublin for an Ireland game.

Stayed here and was plesantly surpised.

The overall decor of the hotel is fabulous.

We ate in the hotel on 2 occassions and it was lovely.

Great atmosphere to the hotel, the bar area was perfect.

Again the nightclub side of things is bizarre but welcome at the same time!

Cant recommend highly enough and will defintely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

The Hampton was our final stop in a month long trip through Europe and Singapore jumping from hotel to hotel, with intermittent couch surfing.

We were fortunate to stop at some amazing hotels, and this was perhaps my favourite.

Ok its a bit further out than many of the options, but walking the streets of Dublin (even in the rain) is a pleasure...and if you wanted to hop on a bus, its right outside.

We had 2 nights in Dublin, and we were very happy to spend our final night of our tour locked in our hotel room in front of the enormous TV and equally sizeable fire,feasting on provisions procured from a very fine deli just a 2 minute stroll down the road. The real sealer was the bathroom. It was cavernous. It echoed as you walked passed it, and was the very pinnacle of luxurious design.

I love my bathrooms. Big baths. Big showers. Lots of bench space. Separated toilet. Mood lighting. Speakers. It had the lot.

We were well aware that its also a bit of a party hotel, and our room was directly above party central...but the Dublin weather did us proud and there were very few revellers braving the cold and the wet. So noise wasn't the issue that some experience stopping at the back end of weeks

One tip, if you are interested Mr Hotel Operator: kill the mood lighting in the breakfast room. It would be nice to see what we are eating. Dark and moody doesn't work for the first meal of the day...it just makes me want to go back to that lovely oversize (well of course) bed.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Pros: Nice bed, fireplace, huge bathroom, double sink, nice and modern bathtub. All these are better than in the website pics. All the decorations are stylish. Club bass can be heard in the rooms at night. A bit far (25 min walk) from the centre. But bus stop in front and receptionist was very helpful and gave us exact change for bus ride. Would stay again next time we are in Dublin.

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Derry
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

GREAT: parking, service, reception, room, atmosphere and restaurant / bar.
Why on earth put a fantastic hotel like this on top of a night club that blasts music until 2am though? (on a Sunday) The nightclub must make more money than the hotel....?
YES I will stay here again but I too will be enjoying the nightclub next time!

Room Tip: Top floor opposite the main street to avoid night club music