“I won't be going back!” 3 of 5 stars

Bewley's Hotel Ballsbridge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Merrion Road | Ballsbridge, Dublin 4, Ireland   |
Ranked #90 of 176 Hotels in Dublin
Castlebar, Ireland
“I won't be going back!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Very disappointed with the overall experience.

In my opinion the Hotel is in need of a major revamp as there is something amiss with the place. Depression comes to mind when I think back on the room we stayed in. Best way I can describe this is that we were on level 0 and it was like going down to the dungeons. The room was very cramped for 2 adults and two kids. There was a terrible audible hum constantly in the background, related to heating / AC, not pleasant when trying to get to sleep. To make matters worse the fire alarm went off one night due to someone smoking in an unauthorised area, needless to say this did not add to our enjoyment although I must point out that this was not the Hotel’s fault.

Two days before our departure a gaping hold appeared in the lobby ceiling. The area beneath the hole was subsequently cordoned off for repair. The ensuing dust and damp smell did not help matters. No sign was posted in the lobby area to notify guests that this work was either scheduled / unscheduled which I would have expected should be mandatory considering the nature of the work being carried out! It was a tad “in your face” and not pleasant.
Breakfast each morning was simple but edible, however the eating area itself was extremely drab and dull.

The staff did not go out of their way to make you feel Welcome, perhaps the dullness of the Hotel has rubbed off on them! There was no sense of pleasantness about them which was unfortunate.

As I was checking out I made light of the “Fire Alarm” incident and naively expected an apology on behalf of the Hotel for the inconvenience however that was not forthcoming either.

A serious overhaul is required to make this hotel more comfortable and inviting to guests. Staff could also do with some training in the area of hospitality as the impression I had with some of the staff left a lot to be desired, customer facing skills lacking!

To summarise: This was a dull, depressing and unpleasant experience and I will not return for seconds!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
JamesCreasey, General Manager at Bewley's Hotel Ballsbridge, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Reviewer,
I am so sorry to hear that you were not impressed with the hotel. I am aware of the incident you are referring to with regards to the ceiling in the lobby. On the night in question we suffered a burst pipe on one of the bedroom corridors above reception which resulted in a large leak. We removed part of the ceiling plaster board for safety reasons as it was very wet and did indeed cordon off the area. We had a lot of staff work through the night to return the area back to normal for the next day with the exception of the ceiling which needed to be re-plastered later in the week. This was a very unfortunate incident, but was something out of our control and had never happened before, and I do apologise for any disruption. In terms of the bedrooms I do understand your comments as with the age of the hotel some of the rooms are a little dated at this stage. We are currently in the process of refurbishing all of our bedrooms to address this, which is due to be completed early next year. It is also a shame to hear that you did not the staff very pleasant as we generally get a lot of praise for their friendliness.
I do apologise once again that you did not enjoy your stay but can assure you that the points you mentioned have been addressed and we appreciate you passing on your feedback.
Many thanks,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We spent 3 great nights at Bewley's Ballsbridge and once again they took great care of us. Great Irish breakfast with healthy and not so healthy choices and reasonable, tasty dinners, convenient parking and all within an easy walk (almost next door) to the RDS. We'll be back soon!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,
There's not much more I can say after such a glowing review and we appreciate your kind comments. It's great to read that you'll be back soon and we can't wait to deliver another flawless stay.
Cincinnati
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Hotel was very clean and welcoming. Staff was excellent and attentive. Beds are comfy and bathrooms are large and new. The hotel is about 2 miles from downtown Dublin, not a bad walk. The bar and restaurant area is really nice and the lobby area of the bar and restaurant is quite nice. The only downfall is the lack of air conditioning in the rooms although it was abnormally hot when I stayed there. The windows only open about 2 inches so it was quite warm. The towels are large and fluffy which is always great and the shower had decent water pressure which is always a plus! I would recommend staying here and hope to stay there again soon.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Reviewer,
Thanks you so much for passing on your comments. It's great to hear such a positive review, especially regarding our excellent and attentive staff. It's always nice when somebody says they plan to stay again and we look forward to your visit.
Kind regards,
Listowel, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Bewley's Ballsbridge is located in a lovely tree-lined section of Dublin across the road from RDS and Four Seasons Hotel and on the bus line to City Centre. Food, service and staff are excellent as well.

Room Tip: If disabled, request a room on the first floor otherwise most of the rooms are fairly similar. Disa...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,
What fantastic feedback to read, I really appreciate you taking the time to give us your thoughts. Whilst I would be biased I do agree that our location is a great advantage as we're close enough to the city for easy access, but far enough away to get some peace and quiet. I do hope you come back and visit us again in the near future.
Newcastle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed 3 nights at Bewleys on a girly weekend with my Mum, and we were delighted. Our booking was made through e-bookers and was extremely good value.

Our 4th floor room was excellently presented with a queen size bed and a single. The linen was spotless, the furniture all top quality and the bathroom was perfectly clean.

The beds were comfortable, providing a great nights sleep.

Our room overlooked what appeared to be a show jumping/dressage arena, part of the RDS facility.

The hotel staff were friendly and efficient.

The only problem we encountered was on our second day, when only one set of towels was replaced (even though we hung both sets up to dry and reuse, as per the environment/reuse flyer in the bathroom). We contacted reception in the late afternoon and were told that room staff would be doing a second towel run shortly. When we went out at 7pm, we reminded reception that there had still been no second set of towels delivered. These were found in abundance on our return.

The grounds of this former masonic establishment are lovely, and it is easy to see why it is a favoured wedding venue.

Location-wise, there is a regular bus service in to the city centre, from outside the hotel (number 4 or number 7, 2euro 15cents), which takes less than 10 minutes. If you are using the Air Coach from the airport to get to the hotel, it is a pleasant 10-15 minute walk from disembarking at Donnybrook.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
JamesCreasey, General Manager at Bewley's Hotel Ballsbridge, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Dear Reviewer,
We are so appreciative of your kind comments and it's always nice to read such a glowing review. Whilst it is great to hear that you liked the rooms and can see why we are such a popular wedding venue, I'm especially pleased to hear you praising our staff as they are so important in this industry. I hope you will return to us for another relaxing weekend, and just to let you know that the aircoach service you mentioned is due to be upgraded by the end of October with a stop right outside the hotel.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

This place was amazing the people were very kind and friendly the Barman Tristan made our time at this hotel even better everything about this hotel was the best :) had the best time in Dublin and would seriously recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you so much for giving us such an amazing review. It's a pleasure to hear that Tristan made your stay, and shows that he was well worthy of his 'employee of the quarter' award earlier this year. It's always nice to be recommended by our guests and we look forward to you returning to stay with us again.
Galway, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

When we arrived at the hotel having booked and paid through Travigo we were informed that the hotel had not recived payment so we would have to leave credit card details and effectively pay again. The receptionst said she did not know why the company we booked through which tranpires was a company called Navelor had not paid but suggested they may have gone out of business. As we were rushing to a wedding I did not have time to argure but left my credit card details and was given a room. When I went to check out I asked if I could get a letter to send to Visa outlining what happened and the receptionist said she would give me one. When I went to pay I noticed that she was charging me more than I originall paid although it was a small amout (just over 6 euro) I was annoyed as I was already paying twice for the same room and now she was also charging me what must have been the agent (who had appraently gone bust) commission. I had to ask for a manager to resolve the issue and they agreed to charge me what I originally paid. She also said she was unsure why they were not paid however a quick google search when I got home informed me they had gone bust. I believe the hotel staff could have dealt with this issue in a much better way. Apart from that there was a terrible smell in the corrider where we stayed with industrial humidifiers going constantle., would never go back or recommend

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Reviewer,
It is a shame, and I am sure very frustrating, that you suffered from the liquidation of a travel agent. With the current age of the internet there are hundreds of websites and subsidiary sites from where most hotels can be booked. We can only go on the information sent through to us from the relevant travel operator regarding the rate and payment and cannot accept any responsibility for any problems on their side. On the other hand any maintenance work is certainly within our control and I do apologise for any work being carried out on the corridors whilst you were here. We are in the process of a complete upgrade at present and I hope this did not cause any inconvenience.
Kind regards,

Been to Bewley's Hotel Ballsbridge? Share your experiences!