“Good Value Hotel in Exprensive Area” 3 of 5 stars

Bewley's Hotel Ballsbridge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Merrion Road | Ballsbridge, Dublin 4, Ireland   |
Ranked #91 of 176 Hotels in Dublin
Letterkenny, Donegal, Ireland
“Good Value Hotel in Exprensive Area”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

Ballsbridge is an affluent area of Dublin with many Embassy's nearby - there is one right next door - and few 'value' hotels for visitors to the RDS (2 mins away) or the Aviva stadium (10 mins walk). Bewleys neatly fills that gap.

On arrival the hotel looks very impressive - a big, old-looking, brick building sitting almost castle-like set back off the road in it's own grounds with pleasing gardens out front. Unfortunately the interior does not reflect the promise that the outside creates.

I was alone and chose the hotel because I had to get a visa from the Chinese Embassy which is 2 mins along the road. In fairness the hotel did everything I needed it to do. It was reasonably-priced (around €100), clean and with efficient staff.

The room was big and had a double bed and a single so if there were 3 of you or a family it could be excellent value.

From what I seen in my short stay it was a rather uninspiring but perfectly fine value hotel convenient to some local venues and not far from Grafton Street / St Stephen's Green areas.

I pretty much see the hotel as a average but does what it says on the tin. I'm marking it as 'Average' but only because it is not as well-appointed as many of the hotels I say in.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Stayed here for three nights last week. We travelled as a family and booked a family room on a B & B Basis.

We arrived early and were told we could leave our luggage by reception but the room wasn't ready - not sure how she knew this as she didn't even check! The public area of the hotel was lovely, with comfortable seating areas across the bottom floor. When we did check in later we found the room to be tired with an underlying smell of cigarettes - despite it being a no smoking room. The room was large and clean though and the bathroom was in good order. The building from the outside is stunning with well kept gardens.

Breakfast was pretty good other than some of the food was a bit dried up from sitting for a while, although the hot selection was kept well stocked and freshly cooked. We particularly liked the choice of hot drinks from a machine offering latte, cappucino etc as well as normal tea and coffee.

We ate in the hotel on one evening - we chose to sit in the bar which turned out to be a mistake - the bar was quite busy with only two staff waiting on and two behind the bar. We had to wait for everything we asked for simply because the two waiting on staff couldn't keep up - although not through lack of trying - they were running around all night and were apologetic about the lack of service. The food was average when it did arrive - nothing to shout about at all really. ** A word of warning to those using the childrens menu - the chocolate sponge has nuts on it which is not mentioned on the menu**

This hotel is quite a way out of the town but there is a DART station just 5mins walk away which gets you into town for 3 Euros per person return in no time at all - a great service. Also the Airport Coach drops and picks up right outside which is handy.

We asked for a late check out and got told it was 10 Euros per hour past 12 which seemed a bit steep especially when she didn't even check to see whether the room was due to be occupied that evening.

We would use this hotel again if the price was right - but wouldn't pay normal rates. I would avoid using the bar or restaurant as service and quality are not good enough to reflect the charges. There are a number of nice restaurants within walking distance - or a quick DART jounery into town gives much better options.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012 via mobile

I just checked out of Bewelys today (20th Feb) with family, we booked three double rooms and I have to say the hotel was fantastic with a lovely atmosphere. However being a frequent visitor to Dublin I don't think I could return to the hotel again simply because of one memember of staff. Whilst checking in I was totally insulted and embarrassed by an Australian guy working reception called Phil. I booked threw a website with a cost of £126.00 per room for two nights but on arrival I was informed I could not pay with sterling so a commission on exchange was added costing us a total of £146.00. This didn't bother me so much but when I asked for a breakdown of cost I was told 'it is what it is...take it or leave it' I remained polite as a few people were behind me in the que and I did not want to cause a scene, again I asked for some information on exchange rates which was received with Phil rolling his eyes and sigh. I felt so humiliated and frustrated I just paid the extra and went to my room. The room was excellent and bar staff were fantastic remembering your orders from previous visits. Although I love Beweleys and visit their hotels throughout the UK frequently. I'm afraid this one experience has killed the Brand for me. As I stay in bailsbridge at least twice a month as relatives live in the area of D4 Im afraid I will have to push out the extra money and stay at the Four seasons or the Herbert Park hotel in future. Maybe as memory fades and staff change I will return again to this beautiful hotel.

• Stayed February 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012 via mobile

The hotel itself is beautiful. The rooms were comfortable and very clean. Bar staff, restaurant and cleaning staff were all very friendly and pleasant, although there was one particular member of the reception staff who was very unpleasant and difficult, when i was checking in there were other guests at reception and i was humiliated by his attitude in dealing with my queries. I overheard more than one group complain about the same guy throughout my stay. I would not return to bewleys because of this.

• Stayed February 2012
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

We stayed on a Saturday night in February on the €110 special Bed Breakfast and Dinner deal which represented excellent value for money
Check in was efficient and welcoming The room was very well appointed and comfortable
The cavernous public areas were well laid out comfortable and welcoming
The Bar/Lounge area in particular was very comfortable with alive Sports on several television areas There is also a much quiter area just outside here by the Atrium
Dinner was excellent from a relatively short menu The wine list was adequate for our needs
Breakfast on Sunday morning was first class with a great selection and although the Restaurant was very busy it was easy enough to find a table
As we had booked on-line and paid on arrival check out was painless
All in all a great stay and at this special rate it could not be bettered
Highly recommended

Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

Stayed here for a family party

1) queued for 20 minutes in the bar and then told there was no credit card behind reception, which there was

2) medium steak sandwich served raw TWICE

3) told when we came back from a family function there was no residents bar

DO NOT STAY HERE !!!!!

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

All started off ok at check in (or so we thought). We went down to the bar to meet family members and ordered a round of drinks, we were told (and not in a polite way) that there was no credit card details behind the reception, when we told them there was and asked them to phone reception, we were told "we're to busy, you'll have to go upstairs yourself". After going up and sorting it out with reception (the receptionist hadforgotten to add our CC details to our room), we asked him to call the bar, and again were told, "we're far to busy, you'll have to tell him yourself". After getting our drinks, we ordered food (basic pub grub), I ordered a Steak Sandwich, Medium, this arrived barely flash fried, lot's of pink flesh still visible, we asked the waiter to have it re-cooked (wasn't bothered for a fresh bit of steak) and 10 minutes later it re-appeared, after biting into in it, it was still red (not rare, raw), it seems like they had seared the visible parts. I opened the roll to find it very very rare (still mooing would be more appropriate).
After coming back from the family party, we asked about a residents bar and told (again by a rude staff member) "there is no residence bar".
Sunday morning we went for breakfast (12.50 Euro for the full Irish, not a lot and not entirely bad), however an old infirm couple were looking for seats, the only one's they could see was the table beside us. when they VERY politely asked the host if he could have someone clear and clean the table, they were told "we're to busy, can you clear it" (and again very rude), when the gentleman questioned this, the host told him VERY loudly, there are other tables, can' you sit there. I love the Sister hotels, and have stayed at the Chiswick Moran many times this was a major let down on so many different levels.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to Bewley's Hotel Ballsbridge? Share your experiences!