“Quaint & Charming” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #86 of 174 Hotels in Dublin
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Quaint & Charming”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

This hotel was amazing and so much more than I expected, considering I booked at a hostel website and was expecting a hostel vs a hotel. At ~25 euro/night, the quality is more than excellent. Yes, the room was a bit small, but this isn't the Waldorf. The staff are EXTREMELY nice and pleasant. There is a bar in the back and you can have a nice pint of Guinness. There is only wi-fi available in the lobby, but this is how most hotels in Europe are. The location was excellent, w/in walking distance to O'Connell St. and bus stops. The free breakfast in the morning is also great. Overall, I found the Dergvale to be very cozy and quaint, and would absolutely stay there again if I visit Dublin again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Porth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Stayed here end of Oct for 3 nights – we were unsure what to expect after reading some of the reviews but were so pleasantly surprised!

We had an early flight to Dublin and arrived lunchtime, check-in wasn’t until 3pm but the lady at the desk said we could leave our bags in a room whilst we went out and explored the town a bit. It is located right in the city centre so you don’t have to waste money on taxis etc. Such friendly staff and it’s like stepping into your nan’s house – in a good way… so warm, cosy and homely! Everyone you speak to is so friendly.

The room itself was nice and homely, however quite small but the use of space was good, and everything was SPOTLESSLY clean. Nice comfortable double bed too, and use of a hairdryer. In the morning the breakfasts were nice, you had a choice of a number of things but we went for poached eggs, sausages and bacon. This came with toast and massive pot of tea, set us right up for the day.

On our last day we had to check out by half 11 but our flight wasn’t until later so they let us leave the bags there until later on that day so we didn’t have to drag them around.

If I had anything to say that could have improved the hotel for me then it would be for them to sort the wifi so that it can be used in all rooms and not just the lounge.

All in all this hotel was perfect for our trip, and at the price we paid it was an absolute little bargain! Definitely will be returning to Dublin and staying at this hotel!

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We stayed here for two nights in October. It was our first time in Dublin and based ourself at the Dergvale.

The staff were really friendly and helpful and couldn't do enough to help. The hotel is Decent and has an old Irish feel. Location wise you are close to everything although the north side of town is a bit run-down.
Breakfast was OK but to be honest the sausages were cheap and the eggs rubbery. Also we had to wait for about 30 minutes before entering the breakfast room because it was too small.

The walls are also thin but I think we were unlucky with a French couple next door! Overall a good hotel for the price especially only for a couple of nights.

Also the wi fi only works in reception which they could do with sorting out.

Tip - For a day travel by train to Malahide a great seaside town that's only 20 minutes away.
You can go from O'Connell train station.

Food Tip in Dublin - Eat at Murray's. Amazing atmosphere and food that is just brilliant. Trust me.

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We stayed at Dergvale for 2 nights. It's quite basic but absolutely fine for a short stay. The owners are really nice and friendly, and the room was clean. The hotel is located off the top of O'Connell street, so fairly close to the main tourist attractions.

The breakfast was fine, but there was quite a wait to be seated both mornings. Might be better to have a larger breakfast room which can accommodate more guests at the same time.

All in all though, a nice hotel and I would stay there again.

Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

My husband, sister and I stayed here in July 13 while our 1 year old son was in Temple Street hospital. I'll get the basics over with first. Room wasn't huge but was spotless. Breakfast was lovely. Location was perfect for us as you couldn't really get closer to Temple St!! The main reason I wanted to write this review was to rave about Nancy and her staff. While everyone we dealt with was lovely, Nancy was fantastic from my initial phonecall to enquire about the hotel right up to the minute we left. She gave us a great price on our 5 night stay, she changed our booking when our operation date was changed, she only charged for 2 people even though there were technically 3 adults(me and my sister stayed at night, my hubby stayed in the hospital), she made sure our room was cleaned before my hubby got back from spending the night in the hospital, she even gave me a take away breakfast to take into the hospital to my husband when I went in to take over from him in the morning!!! She was just unbelievably kind. She honestly made an extremely difficult time a lot easier for me and my family. We will be forever grateful to her and will never forget her kindness. I would highly recommend this hotel, especially if you are attending Temple Street or even the Mater hospital. Thanks Nancy!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Nuremberg, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in August. I had 2 rooms, a double and single. The rooms were small but that's pretty on par with most European hotels. Rooms were clean and comfortable. There is no lift so if you have trouble with stairs I would suggest asking for a room on the first floor. Staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The bar downstairs was nice and the breakfast was delicious. Great location and good price as well. I would use them again for my next stay in Dublin.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Dergvale Hotel? Share your experiences!