“Never, ever again!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #163 of 176 Hotels in Dublin
Dublin, Ireland
“Never, ever again!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Stayed here with a group of friends on a Saturday night. My idea - I thought it handier than getting a taxi home - cheap rooms right? Now I see why! NEVER again. I was MORTIFIED with my choice. Greeted at reception by a foreign girl chewing gum who barely bid us the time of day Rude is not the word. Definitely not someone I'd have working at reception. Got our room key and we went up to a room that stank of cigarette smoke - it was absolutely reeking of it. We had a triple room.TINY! Our three beds were like hammocks - if I was any heavier I'd have been hitting the floor in it. Window sill littered in cigarette butts. We were in a rush so got changed and went to dinner across the street. In the middle of the meal one of the girls gets a phone call from the hotel receptionist to say there is a problem with one of our other friends bookings who was joining us and trying to book in. My friend had to leave her dinner to sort it out - with the receptionist rudely repeating that there was no booking made for my friend. Thank god we had an email confirmation of the booking. No apology about her mistake - just complete bad manners from the receptionist. Went to bed and yes noise was INSANE!!! Had to fight our way through nightclub mayhem to get to door of hotel to make it up to our rooms. Fire alarm went off at 5.03am. Got up in the morning - went into the shower - shower not working! Stuck on the hot dial and couldn't be changed - water was absolutely scalding. Rang reception and she said she would send someone up. Two girls who were cleaning rooms came over and saw the problem and realised the shower could in no way be used. One of them, roared at the other "give me key" and told me to go into another room and use the shower. I'm standing there in the corridor in my pajamas calling after her about which room I should use but she just shrugs her shoulders and walks off. I couldn't believe it. Eventually I waited for my other friend to wake and used her shower. It was an absolute disgrace. We didn't even wait to have breakfast - downstairs smelling of body odor and sweat - couldn't get out of the place quick enough. An Irish girl who was on reception that morning did apologise about the shower which was something I suppose. Unfortunately, it was too little too late. You'd be far better off in a hostel than this place. BE WARNED!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Marbella, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I stayed in Dublin and was looking for really cheap hotel. Jackson Court was a good choice because of value of money. Location... Well, this is good location only if you want to party all night. Fortunately i have a sleeping difficulties and the noise wasn't so huge trouble for me. By the way my room was on the 3rd floor and there is more quiet. Service was very good, room was small but comfortable(especially the bed) and nice as well as the bathroom. Breakfast is big and tasty. Anyways i really like this hotel but if i'm going to visit Dublin once again i will stay in a bigger hotel but if i need some parties i will visit The Jackson Court Hotel again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Austin, Texas, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Tiny room in a small, well-located hotel. Breakfast was good, WiFi undependable, and the staff friendly. Be warned though. The premises also house Copper-Faced Jack’s, at the time of our visit, the most popular nightclub in Dublin. Every night was like having a rave in our room from midnight til dawn and sleep was impossible. Under no circumstances should you consider staying here unless you are in Dublin to party and have no interest in sleeping during the night.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Western Ireland, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Do not stay here unless you are going to be too drunk to be kept awake by the noise ALL night.
I normally try and find something positive to say about my reviews, but the only good thing about this hotel is it's closeness to Grafton Street.
Dirty, old, smelly room with a broken window.

Room Tip: Even if asked to be put into the quitest room, I think the opposite happens.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Belfast
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Not sure where to begin with this one. Do I mention the far from welcoming welcome? Do I mention the lack of remote control for the tv, or the lack of sockets for electrical equipment, or the lack of front entrance when you return at night only to discover the reception has been transformed into a cloakroom for the nightclub (more on this later), or do I mention the lack of breakfast at breakfast time, or the lack of interest when checking out? See - not sure where to start. The one good thing about this hotel is location. Just up the street from St. Stephen's Green Shopping Centre. That's it - one good thing. I travelled with three girls and we had two twin rooms, which to our dismay, overlooked the beer garden/nightclub. As with most travellers we did a quick once over to see how the room appeared. To be fair, the beds were freshly made and the linen clean. The bathroom was also well equipped and clean. We could not find tv controls and when we rang reception we were told we could collect them there - the same answer was given when asking where the hairdryer was. A basic requirement one would have thought in an hotel room that has running water for a shower?! However, I had to go to my friends room to use the said hairdryer as there was no socket in the room - seriously, no socket !! So, after a quick change we headed out through the reception area at which point we noticed the room that housed tables and chairs and people when we arrived was empty. I enquired where we could eat in the hotel and was told they don't do food. Upon arrival back at the hotel after a concert we had been to see we had to join the queue for the nightclub as the front door had been closed. When we turned into the reception area we were greeted by screens and a coat rack. No sign of any staff - only two girls who looked like they were taking a break from exam revision. When one of my friends asked for a remote control one girl turned to look for it but as there had been some misunderstanding as to what had been asked for initially my friend repeated her request only to be shouted at by the other girl that she was looking for it. Taken aback my friend very politely asked her not to be so rude as she was only trying to make it clear what she had asked for but undeterred the girl shouted again that she was doing it. Horrendous. And so to bed....

At least the beds were comfortable - which was a blessing as we spent the whole night wondering when the racket from downstairs was likely to end. Now, we are three girls in our early 40's and one who is 21 - so it's not like we were ancient and couldn't appreciate that people enjoy nightclubs - hell, we like to dance as much as the next person - it was the volume we had an issue with. Mind you, the hotel had thought of everything. There was double glazing, then a second set of windows that closed on the double glazing, then the heaviest curtains I have ever tried to draw in an hotel room and when that didn't drown out the noise the rubber ear plugs located in the top drawer of the bedside cabinet could also be used. Alas, two sets of windows, heavy curtains and ear plugs failed miserably. Like other contributors have stated, more should be made of the fact that this is a nightclub venue and sleep is optional.

After a long night, a very long night indeed we headed to breakfast. We were offered a hot breakfast or a vegetarian option. Two of the party opted for "full Irish" whilst I asked for porridge. Not an oatflake in the place. I was then directed to the breakfast buffet. This consisted of various fruit juices and four bowls, one for weetabix, one for cornflakes, one for museli and one for special k(?). No pastries, no croissants, no fruit (fresh or otherwise), no cheese, no cold cuts - nothing. We carried on with breakfast and asked for toast. The waitress returned with a "toast" rack containing dry white bread and asked if that was ok as the toaster had broken to which I repled no it wasn't ok and surely they had a grill that could be used for toast? She said the grill was busy with breakfasts to which I replied I appreciated that but as we are having ours dry bread won't do and we would like toast. A short time later a tower of toast arrived. Momentarily thought about saying we didn't want white bread toasted we preferred wholemeal but by that time we had lost the will ....

So, we left the breakfast room, gathered our belongings, returned two remote controls and one hairdryer (that can only be used in certain rooms it seems) and checked out. At least I hope we did, the receptionist was so disinterested in us I'm not sure she knows we have left. Never have I left an hotel without being asked was my stay satisfactory and did I have a good time - but then, why ask the question when you know the answer?

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

From finding the complimentary ear plugs in the drawer to coming back to the hotel after being out for a meal and the lobby reception area transformed into a night club entrance and cloakroom. Having to walk through the nightclub to get to the stairs to our room. A bouncer guarding the stairs. Then the room being right over the thumping nightclub I could barely hear the tv. Then the people in the next room were obviously havin a party in their room then up and down to the club. I called the reception at 1.30am (which was now a night club) no porter, no room change No SLEEP! Just told the party doesn't end till 3.30am then the ones next door partying again. Slept in missed breakfast. Terrible place never again. They say it says it's a nightclub on the website plenty of hotels have nightclubs this place is not a hotel, it's a place to stay after gettin pissed in the night club. Not good if your sober. Enjoy

• Stayed June 2013
Knoxville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

This was the worst night of our trip to Ireland. Please do not stay here if you want to sleep. Only stay here if you plan to participate in the night club below and go to bed when the sun comes up. If you would like to sleep during the night and function during normal daylight hours the next day this is not the place for you. We had to catch a plane the next day so we were really hurting. The ear plugs do not help. It was like an earthquake. Music was still going at 4 AM+. I am not much of a complainer, but I signed up for trip advisor just so I could warn other travelers of this awful place. Also, bath tub was chipping, a few other minor problems like that, which I normally accept as coming with the territory of traveling, otherwise the rooms were nice enough. The staff was very nice and helpful.

Room Tip: Please do not stay here if you want to sleep.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Jackson Court Hotel? Share your experiences!