“Would stay again” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #103 of 174 Hotels in Dublin
Oak Harbor, Ohio, United States
“Would stay again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

It is a very good budget hotel for an inexpensive stay in Dublin. My wife and I enjoyed our five day stay for about $80 U.S. per night through an advance booking. There is a charge for the breakfast but we did not partake in the breakfast. Our room was clean and comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We appreciated the free WiFi. It is in a quiet neighborhood next to one of the canals. The hotel is about a 15 to 30 minute walk to many interesting sights. Reliable bus service is available but we enjoyed the walk to the city center areas. Bus service to and from the airport is easy to use and inexpensive. Plan on about a one hour trip to and from the airport. We would stay again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Turkish first
Killorglin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

This is one of the best Hotels in Ireland with the best staff. I have been staying at this Hotel and the Hotel the owner previously had for over 10 years now and I would highly recommend it to anyone travelling to dublin. This is a budget hotel but the rooms have everything you need, ensuite, iron and ironing board (which you normally have to request at most hotels), tea and coffee making facilities and telephone facilities all within your room. The food in the bar downstairs is terrific and here you will find some amazing deals. The staff in the bar, hotel and restaurant display are terrific. There is a late bar and niteclub attached to the hotel which is convenient as you do not have to venture far. This is always great fun.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

This is the 3rd time in 3 years that I've stayed at Portobello and I always love it.

The staff are really friendly and the rooms are comfortable. Free wifi, too.

Fairly easy access from the airport via the 16a bus, which means you save because it's only 2.30 euros from the airport. Wish I could've stayed longer, as it what just a quick overnight.

As long as the price stays reasonable, I'll return. I didn't eat breakfast there as 7.50 eurps seems expensive, especially because all I want in the morning is coffee and a banana!

Finally, I'm rather surprised by a very negative review I read below, and all I can comment is that you need to keep your expectations in line with what you're spending.

For what I spent (49 euros, booked in advance) it's hard to imagine a better place than Portobello, especially as I needed to be near St Stephen's Green for work.

Room Tip: There are rooms not facing the canal which are quieter. But the canal is beautiful.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Berkshire, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

Awful, totally and utterly hideous! The room was huge with 4 beds and that really is the only positive thing I can say. Dirty bed linen and towels, a room over the bar so terribly noisy and the smell of cigarettes came in from the adjoining room. Felt like something off an episode of Shameless crossed with Fawlty Towers, just simply the most depressing, grotty place I've ever been to. Decor was tired and old, room furnishings were old the outside of the hotel and general surrounding area are dire. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Bedford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

Had a fantastic 2 nights at the Portobello Hotel in Dublin, which I booked through laterooms at only £30 per night for a double with ensuite. Arrived at hotel at 10am and left our suitcases in the office so we could enjoy our first day before checking in.

Room was great, lovely comfy bed, clean white sheets, 4 large pillows, throw, cushion, dressing table, hair dryer, iron, mini-ironing board, TV with lots of channels including BBC and E4, kettle, tea, coffe, sugar, milk, biscuits (replaced daily). Small window with view over the canal, a little noisy at times as it's on a busy traffic junction.
Bathroom was ok, small bath, hot water a bit hit and miss, few cracked tiles. But suite itself was fairly new and very clean, and lots of clean white towels.
Room had good wifi which we used a lot on our phones to plan things. There was also a computer in reception area €1 for 30mins internet.

Receptionist (Sandeep I think?) was fantastic, he booked us an excursion to Glendalough, Wicklow Mountains and Kilkenny - €25pp, this was the highlight of our trip to Ireland. He also told us the best places to go in Dublin for Irish music and dancing, eg the Arlington Hotel. Overall he made our trip great with his local knowledge and recommendations.

Entry to hotel by buzzer entry system only 24hours, so very safe. Staff were very prompt at buzzing you in.

Hotel was 15-20min walk from city centre, €1.40pp bus ticket from just outside hotel to centre, or approx €8 metred taxi ride. We did a combination of all 3 but I recommend the bus. Hotel is at the top of a main road which has lots of cafes, restaurants and newsagents including a Tesco Express, great for picking up some food and drink on the go. We did not eat in the hotel restaurant but it offered a carvery for €7.95 which is very good value for Dublin.

Overall I highly recommend this hotel it was everything we needed for a lovely 3 days in Dublin.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

It was late in the evening on Easter Sunday and our original accommodation had fallen through, so we were stuck for a place to stay. I popped onto my phone and searched all the usual places, without success- until I rang the Portobello hotel. They said they could provide a room, €55 for the night: a fairly okay price.

We arrived at the hotel, checked in with ease and headed to the room. It was on the second floor, had a keycard entry, a nice big TV, tea and coffee facilities, iron, nice bathroom and the lot. The double bed was also quite comfortable and the room was spotless and fairly new looking.

It was a good purchase overall, and if I was stuck again I would go there, but I would possibly look for somewhere a bit more attractive, even for a fiver more. That said, service was good and it was a fairly easy process booking and checking in.

Worth a mention.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Hicksville, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

Arrived at the Portobello Hotel on March 12, 2012 for 2 nights. Took a little to find- went on a local bus and was let off a couple of blocks away. I checked and read between the lines from tripadvisor reviews. So I knew it was a decent hotel, but location I wasn't sure. Valentino was very nice at check-in and our room was ready. Room was very clean, bathroom was excellent! Beds had crisp white sheets, blankets and pillows, it was so comfortable! There was a dresser, a desk, hairdryer and small tv. The window had a view of the river. It was in a very safe location. The whole staff was lovely! Had the full Irish Breakfast in the morning- delicious! Ate at the bar downstairs 1 night, had the specials- fish and chips & beef stew- excellent! The 1st night ate at the Tapas place a few stores down- excellent! The hotel also locks it's doors at night and watches from cameras to let you in- I liked that a lot. Would go back in a minute and hope to one day!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Portobello Hotel? Share your experiences!