“Absoloutely disgusting!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #139 of 177 hotels in Dublin
Belfast
“Absoloutely disgusting!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I sent three emails to the hotel, all of which advised they would forward to the manager, why did I never recieve a response or an apology?
Stayed in Room 106 on 23rd June and was very displeased with our experience for the amount of money we paid. We stayed here before a few years ago and had wonderful weekend and a gorgeous room, thinking we would receive the same service, but I couldn’t have been more wrong. We were put in the very old end of the hotel and words cannot describe how horrible our room was. The décor was old and musty, there were no towels in the room, we had to phone and request them (surely this should be a necessity), the room was freezing, after requesting from reception the heat to be out on that night, we were told it would but it was so cold I went to sleep in the clothes I had on me that night. The springs in the bed stuck into my back, the pillows were too low, the seat beside the window had fake tan or god knows that it was all over it and hadn’t even been cleaned, there was damp on the ceiling and when I woke up the next morning seen there was fake tan on the bed covers from the person who stayed there before, the sheets were obviously not changed and I was glad I had my clothes on as god knows what I could have picked up. The walls were like paper, I could hear the whole conversation of the couple next door.

We ate in the restaurant, the food was awful and they had ran out of turkey and ham and chicken, both of which I would have loved, so had to settle for a toastie for my dinner.

Photos are completely misleading photos and I will not stay here again nor recommend the hotel to anyone as the hotel will charge people to stay in a dirty old room and make as much money as possible. To make matters worse we were then charged for parking!!
I think it’s horribly misleading and wrong the way they promote the hotel on their website, why do you not have any photographs of the old rooms on the website or let people know they will be staying in a room not touched since the seventies? I work hard for my money and felt like a just threw it away in your hotel, it very unfair as I really enjoyed my previous stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a new room
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

868 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Gorey, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Stayed one night for a charity fundraiser - a good deal, though the (clean) room was small and no remote for the tiny television. The mattress was terrible, very lumpy- perhaps a down mattress cover may help? Definitely a 'budget room' - though I had a sneak look at other rooms and they were fine. Jacuzzi out of action-a pity. Directions on the website confusing..even GPS couldn't find it! Lovely steak dinner in the evening and staff friendly and polite. Had to pay for the car-park. Would recommend for one night.

Room Tip: Bring the ear-plugs! Our room was away from the ballroom, which was a definite plus, as there was a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Antrim, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Myself and my husband stayed in this hotel for 2 nights before flying off on our honeymoon (19th-21st Sep 2012)

Not the best but definitely not the worst. Not a 5star hotel but then you arent paying for 5 star so it cant be expected. We paid 178 euros for the 2 nights and that was including breakfast both mornings and an evening meal one of the nights. (evening meal voucher is for 21.95pp but a 2 course dinner including steak is only 20 euros so good value!)

Staff are all friendly, rooms are clean and spacious and food is good. Quite expensive for a drink in the hotel bar but then again it's a hotel in Dublin so it's to be expected!! Location wise.. around half way between Dublin airport and the city centre, roughly 10-15 euros in a taxi each way depending on traffic of course.

As for Dublin itself, I would recommend doing the sightseeing 'hop-on, hop-off' tour. Very interesting and only 18 euro pp and the ticket is valid for 2 days.

I would definitely return to this hotel.

Bexleyheath, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Stayed only one night as part of a coach tour.
When you check in at this hotel make sure you ask for a map to your room, if you are on the 3rd floor. I found the rubits cube less of a challange then finding our room, on the third floor. However! the food was good and they have a very nice bar/lounge.However to call this a Dublin hotel does seem a bit much as it's approx 7klms from Dublin.

Room Tip: Not! on the 3rd floor if you have a choice.
Derry, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We had booked to stay in the regency sat and sun night we arrived at reception and checked in the male receptionist was helpful and efficient we made our way to our room the carpet was disgusting on the stairs skirting off the walls paper hanging off the walls so we were not holding much faith in the rooms and we were rite no towels the most uncomfortable bed I've ever slept in couldn't sleep the following morning we went to reception to be told we were budget customers and could only be changed to room similar for 10 euros we decided not to as we've stayed in better campsites much cleaner and the most unhelpful staff I've come across

Room Tip: Just don't bother waist of money head to city centre hotels
N. Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Stayed one night in the old part budget room, just wanted cheap and cheerful and thats what i got.
Had a triple room which was big and clean,bathroom was dated but plenty of hot water and towels. I found it hard to sleep because of the noise, you could hear people in the corridor talking
and laughing it sounded as if they were in the room with you.
The bar was busy and expensive,we did'nt eat in hotel or use the pool.
The carpark cost 6euros for our stay which i thought good , we used the bus into city 1.9Oeuro each way.

Room Tip: Maybe better rooms in the newer part,but they are more expensive.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Brussels
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I spent a night in one of the older rooms (114) before getting an early flight and found it good value. It was an older room, pretty basic and old-fashioned but clean, with a hot shower and comfortable bed.
Hotel seems very popular with tour groups, the lobby was swarming with people at 9pm.
I left before breakfast so can't comment on the food or service, or the health club facilities. The large hotel parking costs extra (10euro/night) - I didn't feel like taking a chance on the Centra car park, given the signs about clamping.
Location on multiple bus routes, so a good choice near the city centre, airport and Beaumont hospital.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to The Regency Hotel Dublin? Share your experiences!