“This Hotel is absolutely outstanding!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Schoolhouse Hotel

You added Schoolhouse Hotel to your Saves list
Schoolhouse Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 - 8 Northumberland Road | Ballsbridge, Dublin 4, Ireland   |
Ranked #29 of 174 Hotels in Dublin
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
“This Hotel is absolutely outstanding!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2009

My husband were traveling with our daughter, her husband, our two grandchildren ages 15 and 10 and our niece who is a student at Queens in Belfast.. We arrived late morning and our rooms were ready and waiting for us. These rooms were absolutely perfect. Every staff member displayed a most professional and friendly manner, but they were not a bit stuffy. They seemed to enjoy their jobs and were helpful in every way. We could have not have been more pleased. The hotel is located in a nice section and convenient to transportation elsewhere and also near enough to walk to major attractions. The price was right and we feel that we had money well spent. This hotel meets all one needs for a stay in Dublin. Have been to Dublin on two other times, just wish we had know about The Schoolhouse Hotel during our other visits. Should we return to Dublin we will ABSOLUTELY stay at The Schoolhouse and will recommend to anyone who asks.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Largs, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2009

We came to Dublin for a wedding and stayed at the Schoolhouse. It exceeded all our expectations - the rooms, breakfast, and the pub - was a super stay. Seemed like the lounge / home to the professionals who lived in appartments nearby. Had a great feel about the place. Also the location - a walk to Dublin or Herbert Park. Also the DART so close.

Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

As a french resident from Paris, we were looking for the Irish experience: this hotel combine warm welcome, professional staff, in a beautiful and charming building. Everything made our stay as nice as we were expecting, and even more. Highly recommended, not far from the center of Dublin, we are now sure of the accomodation we will go to the next time we will visit Dublin.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

On my fourth trip to Dublin, I came mainly to do family research and meet family I'd never met before. Last time I stayed in the Ballsbridge section before and liked its neighborhood feel, so I knew I wanted to return. I liked the location of Schoolhouse, which is about a 10-minute walk to Merrion Square, a 20-minute walk to St. Stephen's Green and Grafton Street, and about a 30-minute walk to Temple Bar. There is convenient bus service to the center of town. I had read the glowing reviews of Schoolhouse and thought it might be too good to be true. But from the time the Air Coach dropped me off from Dublin Airport right at the door to the time I left a week later, I felt at home and well cared for. My room, at the end of the hall on the first floor, was named for Christy Brown, the Irish artist and author who was the subject of the film "My Left Foot." It was a perfect size for me and would have been for two people as well. There was heating for the chilly nights -- and there were a couple during my visit -- and the shower was hot and strong. The staff were always friendly and accommodating. I had planned to be away overnight and told the front desk I wouldn't need room service the next day, and housekeeping called me when I returned to see if I needed anything. The breakfast in the restaurant was excellent, and the bar is a great place to sit and have a pint. I'm a New Yorker and enjoy walking, and being right on the Grand Canal was a plus. I walked 2 miles along the canal to my cousin's house in Harold's Cross on a spectacular day. There is really nothing I didn't like about this hotel and its staff. It is not in the heart of Dublin, so if you're looking for that look elsewhere. But if you want to stay in a place where history meets the present, I'd highly recommend the Schoolhouse Hotel, and I will gladly stay there again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Inverness Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2009

Despite the fact the we were delayed and did not arrive until after midnight teh staff had stayed aware and greeted us at the door and helped us to our room. The room was wonderful great decoration and super bedding comfortable bed. The next morning breakfast was served in the restaurant which retains some of the old school features and creates a nice relaxed ambiance. The breakfast was probably the best I have ever eaten. Poached eggs are frequently a problem, usually too hard, but not in the Schoolhouse they made an excellent job just soft enough and not in a puddle of water!! The location of the hotel lends itself to visiting the city close enough to walk but in a nice quiet area!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Lancashire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2009

We stayed at the Schoolhouse for the first time last August, as the essential overnight in Dublin after arriving on the ferry from Holyhead at 17.15. We had also booked, in advance, for the overnight stay before the return ferry two weeks later. Dublin hotels stayed in on previous trips had disappointed in some or many ways, but the Schoolhouse was excellent on all counts both times we stayed there. The welcome was warm as well as efficient, and the rooms were spacious, well-equipped, interesting and, above all, immaculately clean. When, on the stay on our way back, we asked to be moved from a front room (noisy because overlooking a busy road - and, being country dwellers, we aren't used to noise) there was no problem and we were able to transfer with no fuss at all. The bar, which is a public bar, provided welcome chilled glassed of wine, and the meal was both good and an amazing bargain. The offer was a 3 course meal, with a bottle of house wine, for 50 euros for two! On both occasions the food was excellent, as was the house wine.

We shall certainly be staying there again on our next trip to Ireland.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Navenby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2009

An intertesting place to stay that pushes the schoolhouse theme a bit too far. The location is superb being an easy 20-25 walk from Temple Bar. The rooms are well equipped but a bit twee. The bathroom was OK, but the bath itself was way too shallow and too short. When full the water barely covered your thighs, so useless for a long soak. Berakfast was good, although service on teh first morning left a lot to be desired; it was much better second time around. We would return for the location alone, but not if we were in need of a good bath. The 'homework' is the dreaded customer questionnnaire which seem to be popping up everwhere these days.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Schoolhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!