“Pleasant Stay but Not Quite Four Star” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Schoolhouse Hotel

You added Schoolhouse Hotel to your Saves list
Schoolhouse Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 - 8 Northumberland Road | Ballsbridge, Dublin 4, Ireland   |
Ranked #25 of 176 Hotels in Dublin
Dublin, Ireland
“Pleasant Stay but Not Quite Four Star”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

I stayed here for two nights earlier this year. I was sharing the room with two smokers and we were given one of the rooms in the basement section of the hotel which had access to a back lane for smoking. The room was fine, a bit on the dark side given that there wasn't much natural light but this seemed to be the trade-off for a smoking room. The decor was a little tired in our room (compared to other Irish four star hotels I've stayed in) and we all noticed that the sink in the bathroom could have done with a good clean as it had seen some service. Also, whilst someone had been into the room to give it a cursory once-over the following morning, the beds hadn't been made nor were the used coffee cups removed. Not a major issue but would have expected this in a four star. However, the beds were very comfortable.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
SchoolhouseHotel, General Manager at Schoolhouse Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Dear Iasc82,

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments online. Our customers feedback plays a vital role in constantly allowing us to improve the service which we provide to our guests.

I was a little disappointed to hear that you thought our decor was slightly tired. We certainly are unique and would be unlike a lot of the hotels you may have stayed in previously. All of our rooms are decorated in William Morris designs, each individually decorated. Our maintenance team spend a lot of time ensuring that the highest of standards are met at all times while keeping the charm and style of the original schoolhouse.

I would be extremely eager to obtain some further details regarding the housekeeping as I can assure you this is not normal. Our housekeeping team are trained to the highest of standards to ensure the comfort of our guests. I would appreciate it if you could contact me on jmulligan@schoolhousehotel.com regarding this as I would like to investigate this further.

Again thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay and I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back so we can restore your faith in us.

Warmest regards,
Jenny

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

My room was pleasant and fairly spacious. Bathroom was a good size, but could have done with a little upgrading. Breakfast was OK (fairly standard Irish/British - nowhere near my preferred Scandinavian style!).

I ate in the bar/restaurant one lunchtime, it was a shame that there didn't seem to be any way for residents to book a table, so I had to sit at the bar. This seemed to be a real favourite of the workers from surrounding offices. I had very tasty soup, along with a sandwich.

The airport bus picks up and drops off outside the hotel, which is convenient. It's maybe a 20 minute walk into town. It was disappointing that the staff were unable to provide any details regarding buses, I had to figure this out for myself.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Kat537,

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to pop your comments online regarding your recent stay.

I was disappointed to hear that our breakfast didn't suit your Scandinavian style - we make every effort to accommodate all tastes and offer a continental breakfast with a selection of cereals, juices, danish, breads, fruits etc along with a cooked to order selection which includes a full Irish breakfast selection along with smoked salmon, pancakes etc.

Our food is extremely popular with the locals, in particular at lunch time. There have been some changes made since your stay over 6 months ago and we now serve the same great menu during lunch in both the bar & restaurant and would be happy to reserve a table for any of our guests.

We are located approximately 5 minutes from The Grand Canal Theatre, Aviva Stadium, approximately 8 minutes from the Convention Centre and 12-15 minutes from Trinity College and there a number of buses which stop just 2 minutes from the hotel to head in the direction of the City Centre. The Ladies on Reception would usually go above and beyond to assist our guests with timetables, directions etc so I was quite shocked when your experience was not so pleasant. I would be grateful if you could contact me directly with some more iformation on this as I would be eager to speak with the particular member of staff and follow this up.

Again thank you for your comments and I would appreciate it if you intend to return to Dublin if you contacted me as we would love to welcome you back to The Schoolhouse.

Warmest regards,
Jenny
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We stayed here not realizing how far it is from the action. Temple Bar is at least a 45 min walk. St Stephens green is about 15 min but that is the closest site to the hotel. Also the parking lot is super tiny and our rental car got hit in the parking lot-be careful. The employees are super friendly and accommodating which is a major bright spot. The room we stayed in was a decent size. The lock was broken and we had to ask the handyman twice to come and jiggle the lock to get it open. The toilet is super loud and runs forever. The shower is tiny and the curtain sticks to you as you are trying to survive the super strong water shooting at you. I guess what I am saying is that the room facilities could use a major update. The bones are there because of how adorable the space is and I like the concept. Just make sure you are willing to walk awhile to get places or use the hop on/hop off bus-but its about a 10 min walk to the stop.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Vashon, Washington, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

This quaint hotel is an old school house! The location is with walking distance of pubs, restaurants, and Trinity College in a quiet neighborhood. The staff was very helpful, and the restaurant serves a lovely breakfast. We would highly recommend this hotel if you like a little peace and quiet, and don't mind walking or catching a bus the six or seven blocks into town.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

We stayed at the Schoolhouse for only 2 nights and I wish it had been longer. We travel a lot and so we always appreciate staying in a hotel with a "character" rather than in one of the "neutral chain hotels".

Would definitely recommend this hotel, The rooms are huge and cosy, the beds very comfortable with fresh crisp linen, the bathroom big and the showers great.

And to top it all, the personnel is very friendly and nice. Breakfast is a great experience and my biggest regret is that we couldn't spend more time there. Will definitely revist if I am in Dublin again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Western Ireland, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

enjoyed a stay here for one night with some friends. easy walk to ballsbridge, would have preferred to be closer to city centre but was otherwise great staff were helpful and breakfast was tasty. may visit again some day

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Camden, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Was staying here just on a quick overnight.Nice room facing the street but private enough...all the rooms are named after Irish writers...I forget mine but it was a lady!Too jet lagged to take in...nice comfy bed.Quaint bathroom (shower a bit of a plaver as it was over a very narrow bath.The school origins of the building are everywhere which is nice.The food they produced for the wedding I was attending there was lovely and they barbecued in the courtyard so this is a nice choice for a semi informal wedding.Things went on quite late...and the Irish are so nice and lovely that it made the whole experience nicer.Don't expect chrome and glass and you will be happy.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Schoolhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!