“It's OK” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Schoolhouse Hotel

Save Saved
You added Schoolhouse Hotel to your Saves list
Schoolhouse Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 - 8 Northumberland Road | Ballsbridge, Dublin 4, Ireland   |
Ranked #25 of 177 hotels in Dublin
Kildare, Ireland
“It's OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

Stayed here for a night. I think that Americans would love it. William Morris wallpaper and dimly lit corridors. It has a four star rating but to be honest, was more like 3. Poor attention to detail - someone had been a little heavy handed with the sealant in the bathroom, a refrigerator with no drinks in it in the bedroom. Dressing gowns that were more stiff than soft and a lack lustre breakfast.

624 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Westport, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

I had reason to visit the city on two consecutive weekends last winter and stayed in this hotel on both occasions. The first weekend I had booked a superior room. I didn't use the restaurant that weekend as I'd had a business lunch. Before leaving I booked the same roomfor the second weekend but was very disappointed to findon arrival that I was not given the room I had booked. When asked why this had happened I was told that they had given it to a couple. No further explanation. As I was travelling solo on both occasions I asked if there was perhaps some discrimination against single travellers as I had pre-booked that room and this couple had just wandered in the door an hour before I arrived. I was told I would be given an equivalent standard room. However I was ushered into a freezing cold room (single-glazed windows) which was nowhere near the standard of the room I had booked and I had been told I would be charged as per a superior room. I complained re the cold and was told to use a plug in Dimplex heater. However the fumes from this were unbearable (am asthmatic)and I had no choice but to suffer the Arctic conditions that night. I ate at the restaurant on the second weekend and found it grossly overrated. I chose the vegetarian option which was 'carrot cooked four ways'. The portion size would have probably satisfied a rabbit but I was cold and very hungry so I asked for a side dish of vegetables. You've guessed it...carrots!! Can't remember what I was charged exactly but I know I left the restaurant feeling very hungry and ripped off. I found the staff sullen and unfriendly and, frankly speaking, inefficient ( if they can't manage to orchestrate a room reservation properly). I still feel that I was definitely discriminated against for being a solo traveller. Before leaving I was charged the superior room rate though I'd slept in a freezing cold room with very average decor. I would NEVER stay in this place again as I feel it insults single people...and vegetarians!!

Room Tip: Try Roxford Lodge up the road!!!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
SchoolhouseHotel, General Manager at Schoolhouse Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2012
Dear Rhinaque

Many thanks for taking the time to bring your recent experience to our attention. Given our location in the city 90% of our guests midweek are travelling alone so under no circumstances would we ever discrimnate against solo travellers. You should have been allocated the room you reserved. We recently upgarded our heating system, i'm disappointed to hear it was not working during your stay and we are currently having this investigated. I apologies most sincerely for your experience in the restaurant it most certainly does not reflect the standard / reputation we have. As this was your 2nd time to stay with us can i take it that your 1st stay with us was enjoyable thus the reason you re booked? I completely understand your disappointment & frustration but i also feel this was an isolated incident. I would like to invite you back to the Schoolhouse & should you wish to do so please contact me directly.

Kind Regards

Jenny Mulligan
Salt Lake City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Stayed here in May 2012. I noticed that reviews have been mixed and was a little nervous about staying here. Turns out our stay was great. We had an ground floor room and it was very nice, I notice most bad reviews are the below ground level rooms. The room was comfortable, beautifully furnished and had a tub which my wife really enjoys on trips. It is not a modern hotel (blow dryer not in the bathroom) so if you are expecting that you should probably stay elsewhere but if you want character and charm this is the place. The front desk people were great, especially Jennifer. Cheerful greeting every morning and when we asked about public transport to the Guinness Storehouse she looked up which buses went that way and the hours it was open. Breakfast was good. The walls are a little thin, the beds a little firm and the pillows are very firm but we had no problem sleeping. The walk into town is about 10 minutes.

Room Tip: Get a ground floor or above room
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012 via mobile

We had carefully selected our stay and we were very pleased! Friendly staff, great food, very easy to take the bus to the city center (and to the airport). Located in Ballsbridge area, a cozy area of town. You might want a room at the back to avoid light street and pub noise - but very calm compared to anything in city center. Highly recommended!

• Stayed May 2012
felixstowe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights as my husband had been to school here so he enjoyed the nostalgia! Rooms very comfortable, bathroom a little small but adaquate. Breafasts very good and served at your table which I prefer to buffet syyle but you can help yourself to cereals bread and fruit . We ate in the bar which was very good and seemed popular with locals. The hotel is handy for the Canal theatre and the airport bus stops outside. We would stop here again I would reccomend the Chophouse gastro pub about 10 mins away it has just been voted best in Ireland excellent food.

luxembourg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

The building is charming, with lovely wood beam vaulted ceilings in the bar and restaurant. It is also popular for drinks and dinner with locals who are not staying in the hotel which is a good sign but can mean it is worth making a reservation for dinner. There are not too many rooms hence it has a boutique feel. The staff are very friendly, welcoming and helpful.

The neighbourhood is pleasant and was convenient for our purposes but it's about a 15 minute walk to some of the central attractions like Temple Bar and Grafton Street, or you can hop on a bus from just across the road and they seem to run quite frequently.

The room was well equipped and nicely furnished, not overly large but adequate. We were on the lower ground floor so there was not so much natural light but it didn't bother us. The bathroom was quite compact, with an incredibly powerful shower that some might find too much and there seemed no way to moderate it, it's either on or off (though you can adjust the heat).

We had breakfast included which was very pleasant with cold options from the buffet and served hot food including the usual full Irish breakfast option among other things. The restaurant was closed on Sunday and Monday night, which we found a bit strange for a hotel, but we ate in the bar one night which was very pleasant and it's certainly more like restaurant food than bar food and priced accordingly.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

We have just returned from our second stay at SchoolHouse Hotel.
The rooms are very clean and although the beds are huge, they are a little hard. But having said that, the service you'll get at SchoolHouse is second to none.
The staff are great and as helpful and attentive to your needs as 5* Hotels

The cost includes complimentary tea, coffee and water in the rooms, plus free movies, which we thought we would have to pay for seperately.
Breakfasts were plentiful, with bar daytime and evening meals tasty and filling,
All were servered with an 'Irish smile.

The bar is busy with a wonderful atmosphere, as it doubles as a venue for locals. Nonetheless this is plus, rather than a Hotel bar that's always empty.

We enjoyed our stay and certainly recommend SchoolHouse.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear TravelSafely_10

Thank you very much for your kind comments. We are delighted that you continue to enjoy your visits to the Schoolhouse & we look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind Regards

Jenny Mulligan

Been to Schoolhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!