“Eek! I think not.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Trinity Lodge

You added Trinity Lodge to your Saves list
Trinity Lodge
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   12 South Frederick Street | Dublin 2, Dublin 2, Ireland   |
Ranked #82 of 162 Dublin B&B and Inns
York, United Kingdom
“Eek! I think not.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

I was going to give a better rating for this hotel, but unfortunately it just isn't a good return for the money. We were charged 110 Euros for two people in a double room for one night. Not bad, right? The actual location itself is gorgeous, very clean and well-maintained, and when the staff are actually there, they're very friendly and helpful. This is where my positive section of this review ends.

- Running a hotel with no night time staff is DANGEROUS. The place could have been broken into (very easy from my ground-floor room), there could have been an emergency situation, etc. I've become friends with another person who stayed the same night and had to call the "emergency number" that conveniently didn't work that night for her. Very irresponsible and bad business practice!

- You can hear everything going on outside the room. The walls are paper-thin, and our ground-floor room allowed us free reign to listen to the recycling bins being emptied on Sunday morning at 7am. This equals very loud crashing noises RIGHT outside the window.

- The actual room itself is not well-heated. The blankets on the bed are thin, almost like full-sized throw blankets. I gave the spare blanket to my friend who slept on the sofa bed (which was apparently incredibly uncomfortable) so I woke up several times from being cold. It might be different in the summer time, but one radiator for a high-ceilinged, open room is not enough.

- The shower's water pressure is abysmal, and the taps themselves make almost grinding-like noises when you turn the water on.

- This may be pedantic, but I find it really dodgy that the sign for the hotel has 8 stars underneath it. Obviously it is just decoration, but this could be misleading for people who don't understand the system of star ratings for accommodations. The actual rating is 3 stars - which is too generous.

TL;DR: DO NOT STAY HERE. The building is pretty, but it's unsafe and NOT WORTH THE PRICE. You're better off staying in a crappy hostel than this "luxury hotel".

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
PeterMurphy68, Manager at Trinity Lodge, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review and thank you for appreciating the location, the staff, the cleanliness of the room and the fact that the hotel is kept in good condition. Regarding your other comments I would like to reply as follows:
-The room on the ground floor is equipped with security closures that the guests can operate themselves. Also the back yard that the room is facing is enclosed with 3m high electric security gates therefore there are no security issues in this regard. The manager on duty answers and attend all issues / complains that may arise overnight but as I explained in my previous answer the network provider had an issue with redirecting the night calls during last Saturday. We did apologize for the guests that tried to reach the number and we did compensate them in this regard. I must also have to add that this situation, while very inconvenient for some guests, never happened in the past.
-Regarding the noise in-between the rooms I have to say that it is minimum considering the age of the building (1700) - even compared with new hotels or new private houses where you can hear indeed everything from your neighbors - and we had almost no complains in this regard. The bins collections that you mention (which are not ours) may sometimes be noisy but the collections operate during day hours - as per Dublin Council Regulations in this regard 8am-10pm - and as you may understand we have no control over this level of noise. Please also remember that we are a city center hotel and there is a certain level of noise that you should expect which is not related to the hotel.
-There are 2 radiators in the room that you have stayed in - one free standing and one wall mounted - and in-between the 2 of them there is plenty of heating for even very cold nights not mild ones as Dublin had all winter. I believe that the big radiator was not at full temperature if you were cold (we set at 20 degrees) as we leave the second one off if the temperature outside is around 10 degrees. Should you had questions in operating it you should have contacted the reception. We do provide extra blankets in the room or/and duvets if requested, however was no request in this regard. There are also 2 extra blankets in every room.
-The shower in some rooms is electric. Therefore because it is a mixing shower, the pressure - while good - may not compare with a power shower. Please also keep in mind that it may be good for the environment. I have checked your room regarding the noise from the taps but I have found nothing wrong with them.
- Regarding the stars on our sign, it is indeed a decoration - as we never claim anywhere that we have 8 stars - we do have 4 stars. Your comment about 3 stars is all about perception and taste as said previously. However I do not believe that you have stayed previously in a hostel and I do not think that Trinity Lodge deserves any comparison to them. As you may have read the previous comments for our hotel there are many guests that have really enjoy their stay and most of the guests that had complained did not select the right property - they have expected a purpose built hotel rather than a Georgian building, with character, where they can experience a bit of Irish history.
The hotel is very clean, very well maintained, in a very good location, with pleasant staff - as other reviews are pointing and yes there may be some faults like the problem with the management number last Saturday but we have 12000 guests or more in average staying every year and most of them are very happy. We do not encourage them to post reviews as we understand that these days people are busy. However the kind words upon check-out or the e-mails sent to us after their stay would make us feel that we do things right.
In the end I would like to thank you for staying at Trinity Lodge and I would have wished that your issues were mentioned to the reception during your stay - as we and any hotel can do nothing to rectify issues/ assist guests unless something is said.
Yours Sincerely,
Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Stamford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

This hotel is really a gem! We were so lucky that they had room last minute. Trinity Lodge has an EXCELLENT location to all main Dublin attractions. The road it is on is perpendicular to Trinity College and is really just a few minutes walk (less than 10) to the Temple Bar area. Just two streets over from the popular shopping street Grafton, and right by Hop-on-Hop-Off bus stops, too. The rooms are spacious, clean, and updated. Only slight downside is that wifi and breakfast are additional charges, but wifi is accessible at any cafe and you can pick up food supplies at a store or get a reasonable breakfast at a cafe if you do not want to pay for the hotel's breakfast. The staff was so welcoming and let us hold our luggage in the lobby and check in early. Not only that, they let me print tickets to an attraction I was attending earlier that day in their lobby. So charming and a steal for the location! I will definitely be staying here again next time I am in Dublin!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
PeterMurphy68, Manager at Trinity Lodge, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear Tina C,
Thank you for your kind review and nice words about the hotel. I am glad that you have enjoyed the location, the service of our staff and the room.
We hope that you will be considering Trinity Lodge again if you will be travelling to Dublin.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Just returned from Dublin today after spending 2 nights at the trinity lodge. After I had booked this hotel I then read the reviews and I'm totally shocked at some of the horror stories. In fact this is one of the nicest places I have stayed in and there's been a few. The room had 2 double beds, dressing table, large double wardrobe, ironing board, iron, hairdryer. Wall to wall new carpeting , air conditioning unit an immaculate bathroom and shower. The staff in the hotel very friendly and helpful with anything we asked. I would recommend this place to my family and friends and hope to stay here again.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Mandimic,
Thank you for selecting our hotel for a stay beween the years. I am happy that you appreciated the facilities in the room and indeed there are new carpets throughout the hotel. Regarding other reviews some of the guests do point out some real issues - and we are grateful that they are brought to our attention - while others might be upset for other reasons than the hotel itself or they complain after check-out about issues that we could not do anything about while they were staying with us. Thank you for your kind words about our staff and we hope that we will have the pleasure to welcoming you again to Trinity Lodge.
Jefferson City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

My husband, daughter and I stayed here over Christmas eve and Christmas Day 2013. We were first impressed with the establishment itself, a lovely bed and breakfast near Trinity College. Room was large, clean, and everything we needed. Lovely!! The staff at check in were kind and helpful. On Christmas Day we were visited by staff that brought us clean towels and more coffee and tea. Couldn't have asked for a nicer stay at a more giving hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking a bit of your time to write about your experience at Trinity Lodge and we are delighted that you have enjoyed our location, rooms and the lodge in general.
We are trying all the time to maintain it in a spotlessy condition as a lot of reviews are pointing out.
Should you travel to Dublin in the future we would be happy to welcoming you again here.
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Booked this hotel solely based on the price which was about 20% cheaper than any other mid range hotel in Dublin city center.. Booked hotel and then i checked out reviews on TripAdvisor which usually i do the other way round.. Was not impressed when i read reviews however i was optimistic.. When i arrived at hotel which has a great location as i was up for a night out in Dublin.. I was shown to room 18 which is a basement room (with windows) across the road from the main hotel.. Room was clean, big double beds, bathroom was clean and plenty of power in the shower which is a big plus for me.. Only downfall is there was a restaurant above our room with timber floors and in the evening all we could hear is footsteps and noise.. Good job we were heading out that night and thankfully the restaurant doesn't do breakfast.. Overall a pleasurable stay an would i stay there again..Definitely!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear John C,
Thank you for your kind review and I am glad that you have enjoyed your stay at Trinity Lodge. We hope to see you again in the future.
All the best.
Manager Trinity Lodge
ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

i booked 2 rooms at this establishment for one night and i found it a real let down. not only do i find the website misleading in its description regarding the georgian splendour of the interior ( my room was definitely not "designed" and whats with all the graham nuttall? wrong on so many levels.) but the odour when you walked up the first flight of steps was disgusting.worse still an attempt to mask it with air freshener made the sewage smell sickening.the only redeeming factor about this place are the staff .they were really gracious and helpful. i am thankful of the fact that i spent only 4 hours here as i had an early morning flight to catch.the location is excellent ,sadly the accommodation is not.this could be a great place but that is a long way off from what it offers presently.120€ tarriff far too much for this sort of standard.in anticpation of a reply from the management regarding the appreciation of the architecture etc etc....... when its put together properly yes,but this is not the case here.dissappointing.

Room Tip: chose a good room somewhere else
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
PeterMurphy68, Manager at Trinity Lodge, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review.
Booking.com, the site that you have used to make your bookings, have very strict guidelines regarding the content, therefore the description is correct. The rooms booked were standard rooms and they have less Georgian features compared with the Deluxe ones as mentioned previously.
Graham Knuttel is one of the 8 Irish Artists that have artwork displayed in the hotel. While you may not like/be familiar with his style we believe that the bright colours that he is using complement very well the Georgian Colours that we have throughout the hotel.
Thank you for the kind words regarding our staff.
In relation to the smell that you have mentioned, the matter was brought to the restaurant attention - where was coming from (however was not a sewage smell). Also I would like to say also that the air freshners are used around the buildings to give a nice ambiance and not to mask anything else.
I would like to add in the end that every guest has its own opinion about the hotel and we respect every comment understanding that the style of the Lodge may not please everybody - as in your case.
Thank you for selecting Trinity Lodge for your Dublin stay.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

I was booked in here by my work and was delighted with the location and very happy with the hotel. For those reviewers complaining about the slightly quirky nature of the hotel- why not stay in a homogenous chain if it is food and bland looking rooms that you're after? The staff were courteous and extremely helpful, the breakfast bag hit the spot and I enjoyed the slightly eccentric decor. The room was extremely clean as well. I would certainly stay here agin.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind words and we are delighted that you have enjoyed the hotel, staff, service and location.
It is nice to hear also that you liked the style of the Lodge.
We hope that we will have the pleasure to welcoming you again to Trinity Lodge and that you will reccommend the hotel to your family and friends.
Yours Sincerely,
Manager

Been to Trinity Lodge? Share your experiences!