“Quaint” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Trinity Lodge

You added Trinity Lodge to your Saves list
Trinity Lodge
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   12 South Frederick Street | Dublin 2, Dublin 2, Ireland   |
Offers & Announcements
Save on Tour tickets
Ranked #82 of 162 Dublin B&B and Inns
Crown Point, Indiana
“Quaint”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Charming with large rooms, great quiet side street but perfect location to everything. Built in the 1750's not a 2013 built Hilton so the naysayers need to calm down. No breakfast but cafes a few steps away.

Room Tip: Lower street floors closer to outside cafe noise, higher floors quiet but no elevator.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
PeterMurphy68, Manager at Trinity Lodge, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Marc H,
Thank you for taking some time to write about your experience at Trinity Lodge.
I am delighted that you appreciated the unique features of the Lodge, our location and the places to eat nearby.
I hope that you will consider to stay again with us if you will come back to Dublin and that you will recommend Trinity Lodge to your friends and family.
Manager Trinity Lodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Room was very large and bathroom adequate, which isn't the case with every European hotel in a central location. Location top notch for all Dublin highlights. Side street location means quiet evenings for a good night's sleep. No elevators in these Georgian buildings so lower floor rooms more desirable

Room Tip: No elevator so request first or second floor room
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear DAD11,
Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you have enjoyed our location, the rooms and the fact that we are located in a very quiet area of Dublin city center. Unfortunately indeed there is no elevator as the 3 buildings that are housing Trinity Lodge are protected structures by the Dublin city council and they have to retain all original features (as I mentioned before they were built in 1700). I hope that your stay was otherwise pleasant and that we will the pleasure to welcoming you back to Trinity Lodge in the future.
My best regards,
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I've read some of the reviews for TL on Trip Advisor, and I think some of you are moany malonies, go stay in a big plastic hotel chain then, if you cannot appreciate Trinity Lodge's virtues.

Personally I like a place with idiosyncrasies, somewhere with character, rather than a soulless hotel franchise. I wanted to stay in a Georgian home, to see what that felt like.

It made me so happy to find a place that's about middle price range, yet in the thick of it, cheek by jowl with Grafton Street shops, Brown Thomas department store, chi chi cafes, bars, restaurants (a good Italian almost next door), salad bars, tourist shops, Avoca store, Trinity college, the serene St. Stephens Green park, Temple Bar and so much more all an easy few minutes walk away.

You barely need to venture further if you are just visiting for a few days. I even booked an appointment and saw an osteopath nearby.

Firstly I was put in across the road in room number 22 on the second floor. Granted there is no lift and yes you do have to lug your suitcase up two flights of stairs, but personally the benefits far outweigh any disadvantages. Yes, if you are elderly or disabled in any way, this place might not be for you, check on access first.

As for the whingeing about their breakfasts, I never once tried one. I've always preferred eating out and getting to know a city over eating at the hotel, and this isn't really a hotel, it's more of a guest house. I wouldn't expect too much when they don't have a dining room. So get out there, there's places to eat (suggested by them) that will satisfy. Fixx cafe around the corner was good.

And finally Trinity Lodge did a lovely thing, my husband lost his passport in the states and was stuck there for a week waiting for a new one. The staff at Trinity Lodge knew about this, and when his arrival was finally imminent, without any prompting they upgraded us to a larger room. Very kind of them. I felt like the staff, who were all lovely by the way, really made us feel welcome.

So yes there's squeaks and creaks in these lovely old Georgian buildings, and my first room was surprisingly warm. There was some street noise and some restaurant noise but not early in the week. I took it all in my stride, and anyway was too busy out and about to really notice. (Don't stay anywhere on Fleet Street / Temple Bar, that really is very noisy 24/7, made that mistake last time.)

I loved being able to get about and zip back to our room without too much trouble. I did some shopping, some sightseeing, checked out some special restaurants and cafes. Heaven. I love Dublin and really hope we will be back.

Dear Isolde E,
Thank you for your kind review and I am glad that you liked the character of the buildings, our location and the rooms that you have stayed in. I have passed your comments about the breakfasts to the coffee shops managers that we have arrangements with. Both Fixx and K C Peaches provide a very good selection of dishes & excellent service.
I am also happy that you have enjoyed the complimentary upgrade as we thought that would definitely be a nice surprise for both of you after so much trouble.
I would like to thank you in the end for selecting Trinity Lodge for your stay in Dublin and we hope to welcoming you back in the future.
Warmest Regards,
Odessa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We selected this hotel after reading reviews on Trip Advisor. The room we were given was large and comfortable. The bathroom included a shower that I would consider compact. There was no bath tub. Our room was located downstairs below the check-in desk. The first night we were there, the check-in clerk was a bit noisy. Since it's an old building, the sound was noticeable in our room. My wife went upstairs and spoke to the clerk and she quieted down. Since the hotel closes at 10pm, it was not a problem after that. The remainder of our trip was fine. The hotel is close to Trinity College and a reasonable walk to most other Dublin attractions. If given the opportunity, I would stay there again, but not in the same room.

Room Tip: No Wi-Fi. Shower in bathroom was small.
PeterMurphy68, Manager at Trinity Lodge, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear Gary,
Thank you for your review.
I am glad that you have enjoyed our location and that you found the room fine with the exception of the noise experienced in the first day. Unfortunately due to the fact that the 3 Georgian houses were built in 1700 (even though all of them were insulated) noise can sometimes travel from the rooms above.
Our rooms are en-suite with shower or bath and we allocate our bookings upon guests requests in this regard. Please note that the size of the shower is the usual European size.
I am a bit confused about your comment regarding the WI-FI as there is wireless internet facilities in all rooms and common areas and you should have contacted the reception in this regard if you experienced problems to connect to the internet.
In the end I would like to thank you for staying at Trinity Lodge and we hope to have the pleasure to welcoming you back again in the future.
Kind Regards,
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We were allocated a first floor room in the building opposite. Seeing I was a senior I think spurred the receptionist to offer to take my case up. I can't say this was done with a smile as grumblings as to how heavy the case was were heard as we went upstairs. Our room overlooked the plumbing and roof of the adjacent restaurant and there was the faint rumblings of a possibly washing machine heard from time to time. That said, we had better things to do in Dublin than sit in our room during the day and look at rooftops. The bathroom was huge, the water hot and the towels soft and fluffy. However there was a shortage of power points ,- none in the bathroom and one on the far wall low down beside the bed. You had to boil the jug on the floor. Location is superb as has been mentioned previously. Personally we were happy to be in a room in the opposite building as we could come and go without the hassle of going past reception all the time.

Room Tip: Ask about room choices before booking
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
PeterMurphy68, General Manager at Trinity Lodge, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear b walker,
I would like to thank you for sharing your experience at Trinity Lodge with other travelers. Please accept my apologies if you felt that the receptionist was not genuine in offering help-this should not have happened and I have brought this issue to her attention.
Unfortunately the downside of our premium city centre location is the view, as you may understand. However most visitors as yourself spend most of the time either visiting or attending business matters during their stay.
Thank you also for pointing out about power points issue - we will try to address this as soon as possible.
I am glad that overall you have enjoyed our location and your room and we hope to see you again.
Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

The desk of this lodge closes at 10 pm and no one is there to let you in after. We were given a card to call in an emergency but a lot of travelers abroad may have cell phone issues so that could be a problem for many. Our room was across the street, our keys had a sensor to wave over a key pad to let us in the front door. It worked well but I didn't like the idea that I would not have a convenient back up plan to get in late at night. Our room did not have a security peep hole, chain on the door, or extra lock in addition to the one the key opened. We left for the airport early Sunday and no one would be at the hotel desk until 8 AM so we just left the keys inside . There was no drop box for keys. Our room safe had a worn out key pad and wasn't usable. We were at the very top, many flights of stairs,no elevator.That said, our room was clean, freshly and nicely equipped and decorated, the slate floored, under the eaves bathroom was attractive and had a strong hot shower . The location is incredibly convenient -National museums the next block over, Trinity, Book of Kells, pedestrian street, bus connections, location super central. We had an excellent meal at the restaurant " Bite" downstairs. We slept with the window open and could hear a party going on - seemed like a late night bar somewhere- we slept fine but light sleepers might have been troubled.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
PeterMurphy68, Manager at Trinity Lodge, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Ruth V,
Thank you for reviewing our hotel and we are delighted that you have enjoyed your room and our location.
Regarding the safe we will address this issue immediately and I would also like to answer to your other concerns:
- Every guests has its own key and security tag to access the front door of the hotel and their room.
- In case the security fob fails, which was one of the points raised, if you ring the help line outside the reception hours the person on duty will provide you with a code that you can enter it manually on the security pad.
- There are no extra security locks on the guest rooms due to the fact that we are located in a very safe area of Dublin and secondly that there are 2 security doors between the outside and the guests rooms and most hotels even without this security level would only have one lock.
- There is a post box on the front door of the building that you have stayed in for the keys but they can also be left in the room.
In the end I would like to thank you for staying at Trinity Lodge and we hope that we will have the pleasure to welcoming you again.
Yours Sincerely,
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I stayed in the Trinity Lodge for two nights.
The room was small but nice and very clean and warm. The personal was very nice and helpful and I have only compliments for the service. There is no possibility to have usual type of breakfast in the hotel, but I had no problem to get very good breakfast in numerous coffee shops in a five min walking distance. So, I would not take this as disadvantage. The only thing which I can comment is the point that hotel is old building and sound isolation is not the best. However, I am sleeping well and this did not disturb me at all. It's situation is simply great, very close to the city centre.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
PeterMurphy68, Owner at Trinity Lodge, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Jasmina M,
Thank you for your kind comments regarding our hotel & staff and we are delighted that your experience here was positive. We hope that we will be having the pleasure to welcoming you again at Trinity Lodge in the future.
Manager Trinity Lodge

Been to Trinity Lodge? Share your experiences!