“Locked in Bedroom” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #57 of 160 Dublin B&B and Inns
Galway, Ireland
“Locked in Bedroom”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2007

Stauntons do have a good location and you will be in luck if you get one of the new rooms looking in to the Iveagh Gardens.
But, be careful. Like otisbailey of michigan we also were locked in our room, unable to get out. . There was no information pack in the room. There was no tel. no. for the hotel in the room. There was no indication of how to use the telephone in the room. If we had not picked up a card for the hotel at reception we would have been in trouble. We had a mobile phone and had to call the reception and have an incredulous receptionist come to free us.
I am shocked that this matter seems not to have been rectified immediately.

Stayed September 2006

401 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2006

My recent stay at Stauntons on the Green was an absolute disaster. I checked in on a Friday afternoon, at which time there was no water. Could not even wash my hands. By the time I left the next day there was still no water. The owner of the hotel was most unapologetic and implied that since I was getting a deal anyway I should be satisfied with that. 'These things happen' is all he could come up with. I ended up with no breakfast as well as the place was so disorganized as a result of the water situation. I would not recommend this hotel -- charm or no charm.

Stayed November 2006
Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2006

I stayed at this establishment with my two friends in November 2006. The receptionist was very rude to us. We were told upon arrival that one of us would have to be driven to another location splitting the three of us up. We were very annoyed because we had not been advised of this prior to our arrival and had booked the accommodation 1 month previously. The receptionist could see how annoyed we were but she told us the hotel was fully booked up and proceeded to check in a couple standing in the queue behind us. The manager told us that the hotel was fully booked out even though my friend spotted two more couples being checked in after she went to reception to ask for help in finding her room. The room was extremely shabby and there were long dark cobwebs on the ceiling and ceiling lampshade as it had not been dusted for ages. One other room which was a single on the 1st floor was so small it was slightly bigger than a single bed and your knees touched the door when you sat on the toilet. Overall I would not recommend it but if you want poor service, sub standard accommodation and a central location then this is the hotel for you.

Stayed October 2006
michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2006

The first night I stayed in a room toward the back of the hotel. It was quiet but I found out in the morning when I tried to leave the room, that the lock did not work and I was locked in all night. Had there been a fire, it could have been disastrous. The second booking was on the third floor. It was a terrible room. Noisy and so small that the toilet was actually half way under the bathroom sink. No one available to assist with luggage. Room was run down and bed extremely hard. I would be careful when using this hotel. Not worth the 96 euro for the closet room on the third floor.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Diego CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2006

We stayed at Staunton's in August, and were very happy with our choice. We had a very nice, commodius and quiet room on the second floor at the back of the hotel. My father-in-law had a single at the front, and I will say that his room was very small and had a lot of street noise. He fortunately doesn't hear well, and was very happy with his room! So, there you are.

The housekeeping staff did a nice job; our room was very clean and welcoming. We all enjoyed our breakfasts - staff in the breakfast room were all very polite. And I'm very thankful they offered brown bread as well as the usual toast! The hotel isn't very modern. It isn't very posh. It isn't very 'hip'. But it is comfortable, clean and cozy. I'd be delighted to stay there again. I liked the staff - the ladies at the reception desk were perhaps more efficient than overly warm. But they did their job, and did it well. And you cannot beat the location. Very good value for money in my estimation. AND they have built some lovely rooms in the back, so ask for one of those and you'll be very happy you chose Staunton's.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for one of the new rooms at the back
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2006

i have stayed at this hotel many times over the years on buisness.
You need to make sure you book a hotel at the rear of the hotel, the front ones can be really noisy.
The interior is getting scruffy. its almost nicely grand, but strangely not at all.
I have avoided the breakfast for the past few years, the coffee is amongst the worst i have ever had, best to go to a nearby cafe.
location is excellent, right on the green and 5 mins walk to grafton street.
There is building at the back at the moment. i think the hotel is extending. it looks as thought it should be complete soon.
the rooms can be very large. I've never had anything remotely small.
The staff would not be too out of place on father ted. They are all very quirkily dublinesque, which can be good.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2006

For the price, I think this hotel is great!!
Very clean and spacious room, lovely views of st stephens green.
The breakfast was fantastic as was the service.
We are booked to go again in April.

• Stayed August 2005

Been to Stauntons on the Green? Share your experiences!