“a brilliant place to stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Academy Plaza Hotel

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Academy Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Academy Plaza Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10 - 14 Findlater Place | Off Upper O'Connell St, Dublin, Ireland   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Internet Special
Ranked #60 of 176 Hotels in Dublin
Derry, Ireland.
“a brilliant place to stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

This hotel is right in the heart of Dublin, it's beautiful inside, the staff are brilliant from the reception staff the waiters/waitress & cleaning staff & not forgetting Seamus ( duty manager ) a great guy. While we were there my wife had an embarrassing situation which left her a bit up set ( I should say NO FAULT of any staff member ) I raised the issue with Seamus he delt with the issue very professionally and made sure my wife and I were looked after. The food in this hotel is lovely, the rooms are modern and comfortable with free wifi. The prices are very competitive too. THIS IS THE PLACE TO STAY IN DUBLIN!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great in this hotel, you just can't go wrong in this hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
  • Polish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Stayed here a few times now, its OK, rooms very in size but are not too bad in terms of facilities and comfort.
I'm a Best Western card holder so I get points, but I don't always book here,It doesn't have a car park, not an issue for many people of course, and its a little way off the good restaurants. Its a 10-15 minute walk to Dawson/ Trinity / St Stephens green. The immediate area around the hotel is not the best part of town, but the hotel itself is comfortable and the restaurants not bad at all. Breakfast always seems very busy, self service , not a massive room for the hotel size.
I have stayed both business and pleasure and its been very adequate.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Hazel K, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Academy Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Dear Bertie500

Thank you for your very informative review of the hotel and bringing the above issues to my attention.I’m very disappointed to read that you were not entirely satisfied with your stay. I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for not having met your expectations on this occasion. Our aim here at the Academy Plaza Hotel is to make sure every guest is completely satisfied with there stay before departing.

If you are in Dublin again and would like to make a booking with the hotel please email me directly on hkumbula@academyplazahotel.ie and I will look after your booking enquiry.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I stayed in this hotel last night, I ddint have a reservation and it was cold, wet and rainy outside. Had a lovely greeting from Sarah on reception, she was very friendly and welcoming, stayed in room 612- fab room, extremely clean , warm and comfortable. breakfast the next morning was fab, all round great hotel. Im in the industry myself and also studying in DIT which is across the road from the hotel and I would recommend this hotel to anyone. You wont get better than this.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Bolton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We went as a group of friends 9 of us, it was a decent clean hotel about a ten min walk from temple bars, the rooms were quite small especially the shower, but good enough as a base, we only used the room to get ready and to sleep. We tried the breakfast once on the last day it was ok but pricey, we found cheaper and better walking 5 mins from the hotel. I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Saginaw
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I spent one night here and glad I didn't stay another. The low points of the stay was the tiny rooms, tiny shower, and hilarious room decor (for example: red plaid carpet and zebra strip chairs). Easily my biggest complaint is having to park the rental car in a parking garage across the street. Although the hotel does give a 40% discount the bill for one day was still between 20 and 30 euro.

The positives included great coffee, helpful and friendly staff, satisfactory breakfast bar, decent beds, free wifi, comfortable lounge, and reasonably priced food at the grill pub by Dublin standards. The location was good with plenty of restaurants and stores within walking distance. Overall, pretty decent. It was a great place for me to recover from jet lag.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Coolsweaterrob

Thank you for your very informative review of the hotel and bringing the above issues to my attention. I’m very disappointed to read that you were not entirely satisfied with your stay. I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for not having met your expectations on this occasion. Our aim here at the Academy Plaza Hotel is to make sure every guest is completely satisfied with there stay.

San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I am actually quite disappointed that one nasty little bug bite drops my rating for this hotel, because, outside of the bedbug issue, the hotel met and exceeded my expectations. The rooms are large, clean, modern and the hotel's location is perfect. Just a short walk from major attractions and Temple Bar. True, the neighborhood behind the hotel may not be the best, but during my week's stay, I never found reason to venture in that direction. We didn't try the cafe downstairs (the menu wasn't very inviting).

The first morning we arrived at 7:00 am, and it should be mentioned that the staff did not mind us dozing on a lobby couch while we waited for a room to be cleaned. However, after a very long day with no sleep the evening before, I was upset at being awoken at 1:00 am by a nasty bug biting my hand. Apparently, I am also allergic to bed bugs because my hand swelled to double its size and remained that we for most of the week. The staff immediately moved us, within 5 minutes of placing a call downstairs. Later that week, the manager pulled us aside to ask us about the "incident".

Despite the staff's immediate assistance, there was definitely an attitude of "we can't imagine how this happened...do YOU have any ideas?!?!", which felt like a not-so-subtle accusation. And we were never offered any sort of compensation for our miserable experience - I didn't ask, so I may be partially to blame. But I expected a discount, or a free breakfast?? The staff assured us that they were taking the incident very seriously, and were inspecting our room amongst others on the floor. I have no reason not to believe this wasn't the case - everyone we spoke to behind the desk knew who we were - "the bedbug people".

Outside of the insect issues, the hotel is really a great stay. If they are able to rid themselves of the pests, I would recommend it to anyone. But in the meantime, stay at your own risk.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hazel K, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Academy Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear JessAnn2772

Thank you for your very informative review of the hotel and bringing the above issues to my attention. I’m very disappointed to read that you were not entirely satisfied with your stay. Our aim here at the Academy Plaza Hotel is to make sure every guest is completely satisfied with there stay before departing.

If you can email me directly you contact details on hkumbula@academyplazahotel.ie . I would like to speak with you directly in relation to your unpleasant experience.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

The hotel is OK if you just need a place to stay, the food is no great shakes, breakfast very ordinary and quite expensive by UK standards, Dublin is generally a bit pricey. You are better off going out for breakfast and the best places are the other side of the river a good 15 minutes away. There is a very good restaurant across the road though (Toddy's) where you can get a pretty good meal not too expensive either. Tea making stuff in the rooms is pretty poor and the lobby area is not great for sitting with a coffee etc.
The staff are really helpful and friendly and the airport bus stops right outside which is good. It was noisy outside when we got there, there is a club backing on to the hotel but it goes very quiet late at night.
In hindsight I would probably have looked for a hotel south of the river where the best bits of Dublin are.
Value for money is good.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Cakesmuggler

Thank you for your very informative review of the hotel and bringing the above issues to my attention. . I’m very disappointed to read that you were not entirely satisfied with your stay. I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for not having met your expectations on this occasion. Our aim here at the Academy Plaza Hotel is to make sure every guest is completely satisfied with there stay before departing.

In relation to breakfast we offer a full irish traditional breakfast and on our buffet we serve rashers, sausages,eggs,puddings,beans,tomatoes,and mushrooms. We also serve fresh fruit ,cereal, yoghurts and a variety of cooked cold meats, cheese . Breakfast is priced at €9.90 and you can have as many serving as you like.

Tel: 018174109

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Academy Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!