“Great service, pity about the food!!” 4 of 5 stars

Clontarf Castle Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Castle Avenue | Clontarf, Dublin D3, Ireland   |
Ranked #19 of 172 Hotels in Dublin
Belfast
“Great service, pity about the food!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2010

I stayed at Clontarf castle with my partner for one night on the recommendation of my parents. I was plesently surprised by the surroundings and the hotel itself- it really was stunning. The staff were more than friendly and very helpful, the chamber maids were smiling and very polite. The hotel looked well kept and very clean, more than you get in some other 4* hotels!
We had paid for a room upgrade, the room was stunning and we were very happy with it initially until we discovered that there was no bath, no dressing gowns, no personal touches at all. We requested a change of room but were told the only one available was a smoking room and this did not appeal to us (as non smokers!). We were not offered any upgrade to a room that met our needs.
We had booked into the Farenheit Grill for dinner and although the service was fantastic, the food was terrible! If i hadnt prepaid for the dinner, I would not have been prepared to pay for my starter (Goats cheese bruchetta that was so hard, I could not bite into it and was worried that it would strike the dinners beside me if i tried to cut it!)
Breakfast was fab though. I would advise people to skip dinner and eat lots of breakfast!!
All in all, I did really like the hotel and its surroundings and would go back to Clontarf castle but I think that the hotel could be so much better with just a little more attention to detail.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
KarynJohnson, Marketing Executive at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2010
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind words about the property and our team here at Clontarf Castle Hotel. We are indeed very sorry and disappointed to read about the service you experienced during your stay with us. Please be assured that this is by no means normal practice and we normally pride ourselves with a good quality product as well as a warm, friendly and efficient guest experience. Your comments regarding the food and room upgrades have been shared amongst all of our team. If you are thinking of returning to the castle please do contact me personally and I will do everything possible to look after your booking. We hope you can forgive us and allow us a second chance to offer you the true Clontarf Castle Experience.
Karyn Johnson
Marketing Executive

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Turkish first
madrid
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

the place is really peculiar, nice and charmful but the welcoming attitude and the service is even better
perfect for both business and pure enjoying

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
We were pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your review and we hope we can offer you the Castle experience again soon. If you are thinkining of coming over again Please do contact me personally and I will look after you.
Karyn Johnson
Marketing Executive
North of Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2010

We stayed three night at Clonarf Castle and loved it. We didn't get to see all we wanted to in Dublin so will definately stay at Clontarf Castle if we return again.

The entrance is lovely and the reception staff were friendly and very helpful. The room was warm, comfortable and had everything we needed for our stay. No complaints food-wise - great breakfasts and the meals we had there were very good too.

Only a ten minute bus ride into the centre so it was quick and easy to nip and and out of the city centre.

Recommended.

Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2010

This is a modern renovation literally built around an historic castle. While it may upset some historians it has quite tastefully preserved the historical building for future generations to enjoy. The rooms are ultra comfortable, staff helpful, facilities excellent. There is free internet in the lobby, but it works spasmodically. Hotel food is great, breakfast excellent, overall value for money.
Particularly like the digital room information that gives the outside temp and feels like temp.
There is free parking outside which is great if you are touring around by car, otherwise it is public transport into Dublin central. Really would recommend where you have your own transport. Booking through hotels own web site.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2010

I traveled to Ireland with my eldest daughter from Feb 17, 2010 to Feb 27, 2010. This was a trip that was a decade in the making and my daughter set up our last night in Ireland at the Clontarf Castle. A wonderful blend of old and new, great service and wonderful food. As my daughter had set this up as a birthday gift for me, I was surprised with a slice of birthday cake once we had unpacked.
The service at the front desk was great and a special thanks to Denise who worked with my daughter to make this a very memorable experience.
The restaurants were filled with locals which tells me the food and service are good all the time. Food was fabulous and the breakfast buffet was great.
Will visit again one day!

• Stayed February 2010
Middlesex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2010

Stayed for two nights on a three day city break. Our package included dinner on one night and two days worth of breakfasts and cream teas. As breakfast would have cost an eyewatering 23 euros each, that was well-worth it!
They looked after our bag as we arrived long before our check-in time (early morning flight!) whilst we spent the day in Dublin and our check-in, when we got back, was smooth. The standard room was larger than normal, as was the bed, which was even more comfortable than our bed at home (and that says something). I was expecting a little more character than we got, but basically we found a standard hotel built behind the original castle which houses the public areas.
Room furnishings were a little tired and stained, but the decor in the rest of the hotel was interesting (eclectic!). The 'best' interior design award seems a little exaggerated! Certainly the most unusual! The maids took hygiene seriously-I saw a lot of polishing and vacuuming of the public areas! However room service trays outside bedroom doors remained uncollected all day!
They could have been a bit more generous with pillows, bath towels and toiletries-these were minimal (only one pillow each, one bath towel between us until I found another hidden in the wardrobe, no shower hat). I have been offered much more in quantity and quality (respectively) in many inferior grade hotels. However the hair dryer worked and there were tea/coffee facilities in the room.
The food in the bar and the restaurant was mostly good, and the atmosphere in the bar was lively (loud even!). A pot of Earl Grey tea at breakfast would have been nice rather than a DIY teabag in a cup!
The restaurant claims to stay open until 10.30pm however we caused some consternation when we arrived for our dinner at 9.45pm.
There was free internet access (as we didn't have a laptop with us to use the free broadband).
The staff were very helpful and the waiters remembered our idiosyncrasies, which I was quite impressed with!
The location doesn't matter if you have a car or don't mind using a taxi or bus, as these were convenient and plentiful. We bought a three day bus ticket which we could also use for the airport transfer and this was amazing value.
We would have no hesitation in staying there on a return trip to Dublin, if we weren't tempted to stay in the middle of Dublin (by way of comparison).

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Wexford, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2010

Everyone else has raved about the lovely rooms and the helpful staff and I agree with them. It's a very pleasant hotel indeed. However, when I stayed here for a conference last week, my experience was marred by three things.

Firstly I see others here extolling the food, so obviously they weren't vegetarian. And clearly, neither is the chef! On the evening of my stay, I had a filo pastry dish (this was the only substantial veggie dish on offer) that was tasteless and greasy, and bordered on the inedible. Fortunately, the small dish of spicy potato wedges and meditarranean vegetables that accompanied it were fine - otherwise I would have gone to bed starving.

The next day, for our meeting lunch, the sole vegetarian dish on offer was a slightly different filo pastry parcel dish. This one really was inedible (although the simple vegetable accompaniment was perfectly good). This simply isn't good enough in my view, and although hotel vegetarian food isn't always great, it is usually edible. My expectations aren't high in this respect, which makes my experience all the worse.

The second problem was that after I had showered and washed my hair, prior to the 9am start of my meeting, I found that the hairdryer didn't work - occasionally it would run for a few seconds then cut out completely. I rang down to ask for someone to bring me a hairdryer, was told that someone would come straight away, but no one turned up in the next 45 minutes, by which time my hair had dried into a frizzy bush by itself. Thanks very much Clontarf Castle for making me spend the day at my meeting looking like I'd been dragged through a hedge backward.

Add to this, my being woken abruptly at 2am by a group of revellers outside my door, and you can maybe appreciate that my experience was not great.

If there'd been a decent vegetarian dish to eat, and if the faulty hairdryer situation had been dealt with quickly, I would probably be singing the praises of the hotel like everyone else. I might come back if I got another good deal, but I would never eat there again and I would definitely check that the hairdryer works before washing my hair!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business