“Wonderful Hotel!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 176 Hotels in Dublin
Lancashire
“Wonderful Hotel!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2009

We stayed at the Clontarf in Jan 09, and what can I say?? I had a wonderful time!! The accommodation was lovely!! The rooms were extremely comfortable and the staff were very polite.

I have been to Dublin a couple of times before with friends and have always stayed in the centre, for the price it is well worth staying a little out of the centre!

Its only 10 mins on the bus (I think the no 130) we tended to walk down castle st which was a few minutes down the road to catch the bus on the main stretch! The bus does pick up straight outside the hotel but I think it may then drive around the village and adds time to the journey, it was just as easy to walk to the main stretch and on a good way a really delightful walk!

Clontarf itself is a lovely town and worth exploring, we spent a couple of hrs in the park around the corner from the hotel, (the hotel staff I am sure could provide you with a map of clontarf, there is also one you can download on the website) The park is huge and well worth a look!

We spent a day in the city as I had seen a lot of the city anyhow, spent the day visiting the square, the art gallery and tried the history museum (which happened to be shut for re furb at the moment!! Ohh well!)

There was also a really nice photography gallery near the temple area which is worth a visit and probably in most of the guides!.

We met a lovely lady while in the park in Clontarf who told us if we had time to go to Howth (I am not sure of the spelling) anyhow you can get a bus about half a mile up the road to the left of the castle (I think the 32) heading towards Howth Summit (but I am sure the staff at the hotel can direct you better) What a Fab place, if you enjoy walking and taking in the views this is fantastic!!

There is a trail that takes you all around the coast when you get off the bus which leads you into the centre of howth to a very pleasant harbour, you can get get the bus directly back from the harbour ( I think the No 30 ) Theres a lovely chippy there, which incidentally is also in Clontarf and the centre of Dublin, but they do the most amazing Scampi and Thai fish cakes!!

Overall, the weekend was most enjoyable, the accommodation was second to none, we could not of asked for anything nicer!! The staff were most pleasant and I would recommend this hotel to anyone that does not mind been a little out of the centre, after all its only 10 mins!! And nice to get away from the hustle and bustle!

• Liked — The Luxury
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sales_Coordinator, Marketing & Internet Executive at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2009
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear that you had a wonderful time whilst visiting Clontarf Castle Hotel.

I also wish to thank you for your review on Trip Advisor as we very much appreciate all guest feedback.

You are indeed correct that we are in an ideal location. Only 2 miles from Dublin city centre, 5 miles from Dublin Airport and within close proximity to many beautiful restaurants, cafes and the local seafront.

I'm glad to hear that you visited Howth upon your trip. Howth is a beautiful fishing village with an array of lovely restaurants and bars and is certainly well worth a visit.

On behalf of all the team here at Clontarf Castle we very much look forward to your return in the future, and should you have any queries at all, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sales Department

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
  • Turkish first
Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2009

For the price of the rooms they were clean and airy - but I have stayed in much better, for less. The staff were very amiable in reception and the conceirge very attentive. The place is lovely, just outside of town (about 12-15Euros in a cab) so dont think you are going to walk there. There is some work going on around the hotel and there was some noise at around 8.30amish onwards on 2 mornings we were there. The breakfast was nice but not worth 23Euro for the full Irish - save your money and get the same in town, for half as much or less. The bar was good with great staff there and a good range of spirits. The Fahrenheit grill was a big disappointment. The veal I had was like a concrete slab and wass everything from rare to well done in one piece. My girlfriend had the monkfish and it was about the size of Jaws but she couldnt eat it as it was very tough and chewy. Service there was poor even though the place was quiet and two couples did leave complaining about the delay. The manager did knock off one main course and we did have a voucher (given at reception) for more discount but we would have preferred to pay and have a splendid meal. They have gone for quantity of food, over quality and it doesn't work. Bar food was good and a walk down to the waterside (200m away) is a must if the weather is nice.

• Liked — The bulding itself
  • Disliked — The Fahrenheit grill, accomodation overpriced (145Euro per night average)
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sales_Coordinator, Marketing & Internet Executive at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2009
Dear Guest,

Firstly I wish to thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to hear that you found staff and concierge very attentive during your visit.

You are indeed correct that a walk down the local promenade is a definite must! The local area of Clontarf itself is a beautiful town with scenic views and an array of restaurants and cafes all within walking distance to the hotel.

I do however wish to sincerely apologise for any inconvenience you experienced in our restaurant. I can assure you that this is not general protocol in our hotel as our food has always been based on quality and not quantity. Therefore I will certainly ensure that your feedback is thoroughly investigated and management are made aware of your experience.

Once again, many thanks for all of your feedback. If you do decide to return to Clontarf Castle Hotel in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me personally, and I will do my utmost to ensure that your next visit will certainly be most enjoyable.

ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2009

This Hotel is very impressive looking and the lobby and reception area is really nice. The bedroom was pretty standard, i thought. Nothing really special about it. I had to ring to get the bin in the room emptied. I had requested champagne and cake when i booked, i had to ring to request it and it took a good hour to arrive. They advertise the broadband internet access but not that it has to be paid for.The bars in the hotel are nice.
I would book an executive room the next time to get a bit of a 'wow' factor, the deluxe rooms are not hugely impressive.
I found the hotel hard to find aswell, its a 15 to 20 minute drive out of the city centre.

• Liked — nice bars, nice lobby and reception area
  • Disliked — the room wasnt very impressive, quite standard, nothing out of the ordinary
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sales_Coordinator, Marketing & Internet Executive at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, January 26, 2009
Dear Guest,

May I take this opportunity to thank you for all of your feedback on Trip Advisor.

Here at Clontarf Castle we very much appreciate all kinds of feedback, therefore we check Trip Advisor on a regular basis to ensure that our guests receive the utmost service when they visit our hotel.

You are indeed correct that our Executive Rooms offer the extra "wow factor". For further information on our upgrades and location, please do not hesitate to visit our website.

Once again, many thanks for your review and should you have any future queries at all, please do not hesitate to contact me.

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2009

Very nice place with excellent and extremely hospitable staff. Modern furnishings inside a redone castle - the old wall is still visible in the main hotel lobby.

Clean room, comfortable beds, decent transportation to city center. Very helpful concierge service, available when you need. Delicious, but expensive, breakfast - 19 euros per person, so maybe if you don't want to spend this, have a plan B.

Note: This accomodation is rated at 4 stars in the European Michelin guide (www.viamichelin.com)

Cabs from the airport are approx. 25 euros, to the city center might be about the same. Bus to city center takes about 25 minutes plus 8 minutes walking. We took the bus to center of Dublin every day - 8 minute walk south down to the coast road, then catch the Dublin Bus # 130 (NOT 103), and take it right to the O'Connell street, one block from the bridge.

• Liked — Friendly staff, beautiful architecture, and close proximity to city (though outside city lines)
  • Disliked — tv not working 100%
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review on Trip Advisor.

I am pleased to hear that your time spent in our 4 star deluxe hotel was most enjoyable.

I'm also delighted that our Concierge were able to assist you with a friendly and efficient service.

Here at Clontarf Castle Hotel our Concierge are readily available to help you with any activity or tour suggestions and are more than happy to provide you with some information on the local area and Dublin city.

Once again, thank you for all of your feedback.

On behalf of the team here at Clontarf Castle we very much look forward to your return in the near future.

Stavanger, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed at this hotel for for nights paying about £350.
We called the hotel before we left and stayed on the 4th floor which was very nice of them. The staff were very helpful and friendly. They just could not do enough for us (apart from the Knights bar manager who was "power crazy" and berated a member of staff in front of us).
A lot of functions were on as it was just before Christmas, but we were not interrupted at all. The 3 bars are lovely (Farenheit Grill, Indigo and the Knights bar)
Beer is around €6 a pint, but living in Oslo, we are used to the prices! Food was also expensive but very nice.
Buses are every 10 mins to the center and take about 12 minutes. To get to the bus stop walk out the hotel, turn right, follow the road round to the left and cross the road. you need the right change €3.60 for 2 one way. The walk takes 5 mins.
All the Irish people were very friendly but the nicest people we met were 2 Norwegians that live 10 miles from us!
MUST SEE...
Guinness factory and the bar at the top! (reception book it online and save 10%)

• Liked — The Friendliness of the Irish...and the Guiness
  • Disliked — Knights bar Manager
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sales_Coordinator, Marketing & Internet Executive at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2009
Dear Guest,

I'm delighted to hear that you had a brilliant time upon visiting Clontarf Castle Hotel.

We always appreciate our guest's feedback as it allows us to ensure that each individual has a most memorable experience here in our four star deluxe hotel.

On behalf of the team here, at Clontarf Castle I very much wish to thank you for your review and look forward to your return in the near future.

Limerick, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2009

On arrival the castle looked fantastic. Our room wasnt ready when we arrived but we just had to wait about half an hour, got food in the Indigo Lounge which was lovely, busy restaurant but we werent waiting very long.

We got a free upgrade to Executtive Room on the 4th floor. Bed was massive with a pillow mattress, it was sooo comfy! 2 velux windows at the side of the bed, with remote control blinds! Flat screen TV with a good few channels. Tea, coffee making facilities and sparkling water. Bathrobes, ironing board & safe also available there was a bath & separate shower was hoping for a jacuzzi tho...ah well cant get everything!!

The nites we stayed there were christmas parties on, there was carol singing in the lobby till about 8 and it could be heard all around the castle, it was real christmasy!!

Bus service to town was just 5 mins walk from the castle, it comes every 10mins, turn right, then left, then right, bus stop at the sea front. takes you straight into Abbey Street for about 1.20euros it takes about 20mins.

We stayed in the castle in the evenings, had drinks in the Knights Bar, very warm friendly bar. Note to smokers, your not allowed take your drink outside with you while you have a ciggy, i got given out to by the bouncer in front of everyone at the christmas party!! Very embarrassing....

Overall i would def recommend staying here, we got a special deal for 2 nites, eur225, shop around, you'll get cheaper than whats on the website!!

• Liked — The Bed!
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to hear that you received a free upgrade to one of our beautiful executive rooms and got to experience the Christmas Carol singing during your visit!

Once again, many thanks for all of your feedback and should you have any future queries at all, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Belfast, N Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2009

I have to agree with the review below, people are very very fussy if they weren't happy with this beautiful hotel! Stayed in a junior suite Mon 12th Jan. Staff were very friendly with fast check-in. Room was great with a huge 4 poster bed, nice bathroom, mini bar, flat screen tv etc. Room extremely clean and tidy. Ate in Knights Bar for din and Farenheit Grill for breakfast, both meals were lovely with fast, friendly service. We drove into city centre after check-out which took about 20 mins. Perfect for a quiet, relaxing stay yet not too far from city centre, will definitely be back!

• Liked — The luxurious room and delicious food. Good price.
  • Disliked — Not very many tv channels
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to hear that you found the hotel beautiful and the staff friendly.

You are indeed correct that we are in an ideal location. Located just 2 miles from city centre, guests can experience the best of both worlds, with all amenities within close proximity to the hotel, however away from the hustle and bustle of city centre.

Once again, thank you for all of your feedback and on behalf of the team here at Clontarf Castle Hotel, we very much look forward to your return.

Sales Department

Been to Clontarf Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!