“Very Cool Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Austin, Texas
“Very Cool Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

While traveling in England, my Wife and I took a side trip to Dublin for a weekend. The flight was cheap so we just grabbed a backpack and took off. No car rental, just walking and public transportation was all we needed.

Stayed one night at the Clontarf Castle and it was very nice. The front of the Hotel is the original castle with the newer hotel built on to the back. Rooms were very nice. Like most European accommodations, they were a little smaller, but not to bad. Not too much of a view as you are looking at the back of the property. i would agree with some of the other reviews that the front of the property is very upscale while the rooms not so much. But they were comfortable and clean.

The check in area and lounge are terrific, very rustic but comfortable. The staff was very helpful and friendly. They were able to assist and guide us to numerous area attractions. We found the Irish to be without a doubt, the most friendly people we have ever encountered on our trips.

We ate at the restaurant in the Hotel and it was definitely the best food we had during our entire month long stay in Europe. Cost was reasonable and the portions were huge. One of the best steaks I have ever had.

Upon their recommendation, we took a bus tour of the countryside that started just outside the hotel. We visited several other castles and the Irish Sea. Our driver, Joe, was fabulous. Absolutely hilarious. If I have the opportunity to get back to Ireland, I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was really pleased to read that you had such an enjoyable stay at the castle. I'm really glad you found the staff to be so helpful and the people in Ireland to be the friendliest you have encountered. I'm also delighted the meals you had at the castle were the best of your entire European trip, I'll be sure to pass your compliments on to our chefs. Many thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate you taking the time to write a review for us. We would be delighted to welcome you back to the castle again in the future if you return to Dublin.

Clontarf Castle Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
  • Turkish first
UK, London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Great stay, loved the ambience and the way the castle had been modernised

Good location if you have a car and don't mind being a distance from the centre

Room was a good size, tricky to control the temperature

Food pricey but good

Found the hotel staff looked slightly under pressure but very keen to help and service orientated

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was delighted to read that you loved the hotel. We're located a couple of miles outside the city centre but with excellent public transport options available, our location is often complimented by guests. I was also glad to read that staff members were service orientated even during busy times. We are a very popular hotel and we aim to provide excellent customer service so I'm very pleased that you feel guests received this. Many thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate it and would be delighted to welcome you back to the castle again in the future.

Columbus, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

We hade an amazing stay. Loved the hotel and staff. The only complaint I would have is the shower in our room was so small I had to open the door to wash my hair. Very minor. Food and drinks at the hotel were great, so no need to go out after a long day. Taking the bus was a few blocks away, but not horrible.

Room Tip: No swimming pool or spa If that is a must for you, which it's not for us
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was really pleased to read that you were so impressed with your stay at the hotel. I'm delighted you loved the staff and the food and drink at the castle. I'm also pleased you liked your room, however I am very sorry about your issue with the shower, I will look in to this. Many thanks again for your feedback. We really appreciate you taking the time to write a review for us. We would be delighted to welcome you back to the castle again in the future if you return to the area.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

We stayed at Clontarf Castle while on a family vacation to Ireland. I found the accommodations to be less than comfortable. Clontarf Castle has a four-star facade, but the accommodations are no better than a lowly two-star hotel. Definitely room for improvement.

The hotel has a regal appearance. When you pull up to the hotel you immediately notice the unique castle-like appearance and tuxedo-wearing doormen. The stroll to the front desk reveals a small, but plush sitting area that showcases a large stone fireplace with a warm, inviting fire.

Given the beautifully luxurious common spaces I expected our rooms to have a similarly elegant appearance. Wrong. Our rooms were small, and decorated in a manner more consistent with a Days Inn than a fine, luxury hotel.

We had two rooms, each with two single beds. The beds were springy and uncomfortable. The furniture was chunky and lacked function. The bathroom was small, and spartan. To make matters worse, the walls provided little sound insulation. We could clearly hear conversations from the adjoining rooms and from the hallway. The wifi signal did not reach to the hotel rooms, so we had no internet service. If you needed access to the internet, you had to sit in the lobby. Very inconvenient.

The evening we arrived at the hotel there was party being hosted in the hotel's ballroom. This event created a terrible parking problem. The hotel has no valet service, so I was forced to circle the parking lot for more than an hour trying to find a place to park. The doorman was clearly embarrassed, but could do little to assist me. I am not from Ireland so I do not know the local parking rules. Moreover, as a guest of the hotel, I should not have to park several blocks away.

We got a decent nightly rate for our rooms, which is why I have rated Clontarf Castle as a "average", but I will not be a return guest. The rooms do not offer the quiet and comfort that I seek when traveling. For me, free wifi is a must-have, and there is no excuse for a fine hotel lacking this service. It is a shame that the proprietors of this hotel have wasted the opportunity to create a truly unique hotel.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I really appreciate your honest feedback, all your comments provide us with food for thought. You have my sincere apologies for the lack of parking on one of the nights of your stay. We are a very popular hotel that can get busy at times, however we do our utmost to ensure that our service standards are not negatively affected by this. I am also very sorry that the WiFi signal was poor in your room. Thank you for highlighting this, it is an unusual issue and I will be investigating it further. We would welcome the opportunity to change your opinion. If you would like to discuss your experience further please don't hesitate to contact me on 35318332321 or email mlong@clontarfcastle.ie. Many thanks again for your feedback.

Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Planned this for a while. Emailed the hotel directly because the suite rooms are not on the online booking system. Ciara dealt with the several emails quickly.

Arrived at 2pm on Sunday. Raining and cold outside. Inside was warm and cosy.
Happy already. First impressions and all that.
Walked upto reception and gave my name. Good afternoon Mr. ...
Out of habit, I offered my driving licence and credit card to book in.
She handed back my licence - 'we don't need that Sir' I was told.
Ahh.. its that type of hotel. The type of hotel who trust a guest somewhat.

I don't like small rooms or feeling crammed in. So I booked the King Suite.
At €259 including breakfast for the two of us, some people might think that is expensive.
I disagree. You pay for what you get. I am sure some of the other rooms in the hotel are cheaper and smaller. They are called standard rooms.

If you like style, exceeding comfort, a seperate sleeping area, eating area, sitting area and lounge area - then that price is not expensive.
Bathroom was plenty big and had a seperate shower and a rolltop cast iron bath.
All the chrome fittings were spotlessly clean.
The 4 poster bed was sturdy and very comfortable.
A/C was controlled independently in the room and worked very well.
All the usual trimmings were also dotted around the room - mini bar, iron, tea making, notepads, very techy phone, 2 tv's with onscreen demand programming.
Decor was modern and very tastefully done. Room had the biggest mirror I have ever seen in a hotel bedroom.
The 4 velux windows let plenty of light in and each had its own blackout blind for those who don't like early starts.

We went out for dinner to Picassos (Italian) on Vernon Avenue, which is practically down the road and around the corner.
There are 4 places to eat no further than 3/4 of a mile away. After that you could go to Howth or Fairview to seek out more places. So no 'forced' eating in due to lack of choice.

Returning to the hotel later we had a few drinks in the Knights Bar. Staff there were quick to serve and polite. They also serve food until 9.30 which we couldn't resist after seeing everyone around us nibbling away at various things.
We got a Guiness stew pie and a chicken wrap, both of which were scoffed surprisingly quick for two people who ate a big dinner a few hours ago.

Long day so we headed to the room.
We ordered breakfast to the room between 9 and 9.30. Knock with breakfast was at 9.05.
The very well dressed gentleman left it on the table quietly as herself was still asleep and went quickly. Breakfast was exactly as ordered.

All in all, a very comfortable hotel with well dressed and polite staff.

Driving out of the grounds herself of course inquired...
'So..... when are we coming back here again'?

Room Tip: Website photos are very accurate - pick what you want to spend
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was really pleased to read your feedback, it sounds like you had a lovely stay at the hotel. I'm very glad that your experience with staff at every stage of your stay was so efficient and that you were so impressed with the food and accommodation at the castle. Many thanks again for your feedback, we appreciate it and would love to welcome you back to Clontarf Castle Hotel again in the future.

Ville D'Avray, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

One of the only hotels open christmas eve and day! Hotel really had the best christmas spirit, events and ambiance.
Was a terrific experience! Santa claus visit christmas day definitely made our kids holiday!

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. It's great to hear from a guest who stayed with us over Christmas. I'm delighted you were impressed with all the festivities at the castle. Many thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate you taking the time to write a review for us. We would be delighted to welcome you back to the castle in the future.

Springville PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Great hotel (but small rooms) but not if you're looking for having wifi in your room, doesn't exist. Not even in the bar. Only in the lobby and better keep your coat on, it's cold there.
The hotel is definitely not up to American standards. And it is in a residential neighborhood, you're forced to eat in their restaurant.

Room Tip: Don't know if they have suits
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was very disappointed to read that the hotels wifi was not working in your room or the bar. I can assure you that our wifi does work in public areas and the reception in the majority of rooms is also excellent, so I will be personally investigating this issue. In relation to our location I was surprised to read that you feel guests are forced to eat in the hotel, we are very close to Clontarf which has many lovely restaurants and we are also only a few miles from Dublin city centre where there are a vast number options for our guests. Many thanks again for your feedback on your stay at Clontarf Castle Hotel, it provides us with food for thought and we really appreciate you taking the time to write a review for us.

Clontarf Castle Hotel

Been to Clontarf Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!