“An amazing wedding held at Clontarf Castle” 5 of 5 stars

Clontarf Castle Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Castle Avenue | Clontarf, Dublin D3, Ireland   |
Ranked #21 of 176 Hotels in Dublin
Dublin, Ireland
“An amazing wedding held at Clontarf Castle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2008

A good friend of mine just had his wedding reception at the castle, and I stayed over for this. The wedding had 150 guests but the set up - curtains pulled, and candles lit, made it seem more like an imtimate candlelight supper than a large group in a hall. It was beautiful, and the service by the staff was excellent throughout. They were polite, forgiving and full of fun. My room was a standard double with a king size (two twins) bed, one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in. The bathroom was huge and while it didn't have a bath the shower was as long as one, with a giant shower head. I didn't eat at the Farenheiht restaurant but my friends did before coming to the "afters" of the wedding and I had some wine with them there - again, excellent service, and my friends said that while the restaurant was expensive (33 euro for a steak), the food was gorgeous. There are some renovations going on at the moment, but I didn't hear any work from my room on the third floor, staying on a Friday night. Breakfast was a fairly standard buffet in the restaurant, nothing to get too excited about, and when leaving my room the cleaning staff all said hello which was nice. All in all a lovely place to stay if in Dublin - good bus links to the city centre (but a bit of a walk from the DART station) and a very welcoming atmosphere.

• Liked — Big comfortable bed, huge shower, decent size room, polite staff
  • Disliked — Buffet breakfast was small and fairly standard, although perfectly acceptable
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sales_Coordinator, Marketing & Internet Executive at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2008
Dear Guest,

I am glad to hear that the wedding you attended in Clontarf Castle Hotel was most enjoyable.

Many thanks for taking the time to let us know how your visit went. We are always delighted to hear our wedding guests' feedback.

Clontarf Castle is indeed a magical setting for a person's wedding day. We are actually holding a wedding afternoon on Sunday 17th August from 2pm - 6pm which will allow guests to experience the room set up and ambience of a Clontarf Castle wedding for themselves. For further information please visit our website.

Once again, many thanks for your feedback. On behalf of all the team here at the castle we very much look forward to your return.

Sales Department

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
  • Turkish first
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2008

This is a beautiful hotel. It looked so expensive when we walked in we almost felt out of place.

The rooms were gorgeous. Very neat, clean and modern. The beds were super comfortable. The view out our window was nothing special. We were in part of the extention of the castle so it's actually a new building, but we could see the original castle wall right beside our window.

The service at the front desk was great. The lounge area really feels like you're sitting in the old castle. The restaurants are also quite nice, and the food is good. A bit pricey though.

The only thing I would have to say wasn't the best was the location. It's a bit of a hike, about 2km to the DART station to get into the city center. Other then that everything else was perfect.

This Castle hotel was much more than I expected. This is the castle to stay at in Ireland for an affordable price.

• Liked — The beautiful Interior
  • Disliked — The 2km walk to the DART station
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dear Guest,

Firstly I wish to thank you for your review on Clontarf Castle Hotel.

I am delighed that you enjoyed your stay in our "beautiful" hotel. After completing a €10 million refurbishment, Clontarf Castle has combined the old with the new and is a one off, urban castle that you can make your own....

In regards to the DART station, there are 2 stations in the locality: Clontarf & Killester. Killester indeed would be nearer to the hotel than the Clontarf Station and should only take approximately a ten minute walk.

Once again, many thanks for all of your feedback, it is much appreciated and no review goes unnoticed.

If you have any future queries please do not hesitate to contact me.

australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2008

Stayed here twice – at beginning and end of our tour of Ireland. Fantastic concierge who is prepared to “go the extra mile” and a young Polish man at check in who really saved the day for us. He might be a trainee but the hotel should make sure they keep him! Because of his attention to service he contacted management to explain the issues (see below) and the afternoon before we were to leave, the hotel sent us a fruit platter and bottle of wine - for which we thank them.

Our first stay (1 night) was fine. The food in the bar, however, was nothing short of disgusting.

When we returned a week later we had a different room – very noisy, so noisy in fact that, in the early hours of the morning we had to demand a new one. Given what had happend I demanded an upgrade but no one at the time seemed very fussed. When we did get it, the upgraded room was very nice - on the top level and very roomy. However it took 5 minutes or more to get hot water in the bathroom, part of the lower section of the shower pulled away during our stay, the air conditioner didn’t work (some staff just didn’t believe us) and for some time (when they finally agreed with us) they gave us a heater to use (our stay was during April). To top it all off we tried to use the internet. Our €9 for an hour ticked away as we couldn’t even get access. Finally, after complaining the problem was fixed.

Apart from one person, bar staff didn’t even know the drinks they had available. Imagine asking for a Bailey’s in Ireland and being told they didn’t have it – not just by the waiter but confirmed by the bar’s manager that night! Funny how we saw it sitting on the bar shelf as we left!

Could be a great hotel but needs work!

• Liked — Beautiful castle exterior and grounds
  • Disliked — faults with the room
  • Stayed April 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to hear that our Concierge were able to assist you and "go the extra mile" during your stay.

I am however disappointed and wish to apologise sincerely for any inconvenience caused throughout your visit.

I can assure you that all reviews on Trip Advisor are passed to management and no feedback is taken lightly.

If you wish to return to Clontarf Castle in the future please do not hesitate to contact me personally and you can be rest assured that your stay will be most memorable.

Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2008

I know it's a bit late to post a review now, given that we stayed there in October, but here's my review anyway.
My husband wanted to surprise me with a castle in Ireland for our honeymoon, so he chose Clontarf. It's as beautiful as it looks in the pictures and very fun to explore and photograph.
When we arrived we were surprised to find that there was a mix-up with our online booking and they didn't have any room for us that night, so they took us over to their sister hotel (Crown Plaza) for the night. Although quite handsome and posh, it was a bit business-y for a honeymoon, so we were glad to be shuttled back to the castle the next day.
Because of the mix-up they upgraded our room for us and I was thrilled to have a 4 post bed.
Everything was clean and wow--the bathrooms are gorgeous.
The buffet breakfasts were awesome and the restaurants in the castle were a visual treat.
Thanks Clontarf for a special honeymoon.

• Liked — Four post bed
  • Disliked — Booking mix up
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sales_Coordinator, Marketing & Internet Executive at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2008
Dear Guest,

Here at Clontarf Castle Hotel we are always delighted to hear how our honeymoon guests get on and wish to thank you for all of your feedback.

I'm very glad to hear that your honeymoon was most memorable and very much hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back for your anniversary!

If you have any queries at all, please do not hesitate to contact me.

England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2008

Whilst we had an amazing time at the hotel, on our return we found that £740 was debited from my credit card unauthorised as we paid in cash, we are still waiting for a full refund of the money debited plus the interest it has accumulated and telephone calls made bearing in mind we have been calling from England. The customer service is awful we were promised call backs only to recieve none, we were told that compensation would be issued of which we have recieved nothing. Whilst ill admit the hotel is amazing and the location and setting is fantastic, it has really been let down by its staff and duty manager. We are currently in the process of of sorting out a fraudulent claim as the payment taken was unauthorised as it was completely the wrong amount even if i hadnt paid cash.

Stayed May 2008
Sales_Coordinator, Marketing & Internet Executive at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2008
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your feedback on Trip Advisor regarding your stay in Clontarf Castle Hotel.

I am glad that this has been brought to my attention and I have been informed that our Front Office Manager Philip Walsh has been liaising with you regarding this.

I have been assured that everything has been resolved and very much wish to apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Should you have any future queries, please do not hesitate to contact either myself or Philip and we will do our utmost to ensure that your next visit is most enjoyable.

Virginia Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2008

What a wonderful, out of the way but not unaccessible, place to stay. The Clontarff was beautiful outside and in. The staff, especially Eva and Shane, went beyond and above to accommodate my friend and I. They made it easy for us to move about the city and enjoy our couple of days we had there. Also, Eva was very helpful with her knowledge of Prague, which is where we went next. I appreciate the management understanding our situation with the room phone calls and would like to thank each and everyone at the Clontarff for making our stay magnificent. Also, the pub located in the hotel had excellent food.

• Liked — The Staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your feedback on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that your time spent in Clontarf Castle Hotel was most enjoyable and that our team here were able to assist you in a friendly and efficient manner.

I hope that your trip to Prague was as memorable as Dublin and very much look forward to your return to Clontarf Castle in the near future.

Orlando, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2008

My wife, daughter and I just spent two nights at the Clontarf. Everything was great from the beginning, we arrived before check-in time, our room was ready, the staff was very helpful!
The room was fabulous, modern, and very clean!
The staff was very helpful and told us how to get to the bus, and taxi's if we wished. The breakfast choices were good, and the staff was very helpful! When our travel plans again find us in Dublin, we will definitely stay here again!
We had a great experience here!!!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Sales_Coordinator, Marketing & Internet Executive at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2008
Dear Guest,

Firstly I wish to thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted that your visit was most enjoyable and that "everything was great from the beginning".

Here at Clontarf Castle Hotel we always encourage our guests for feedback as it allows us to ensure 100% customer satisfaction.

On behalf of the team here we very much look forward to your return to Clontarf Castle Hotel and if I can be of any assistance in future please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sales Department

Been to Clontarf Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!