“The staff was great!” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Castle Avenue | Clontarf, Dublin D3, Ireland   |
Ranked #21 of 177 hotels in Dublin
“The staff was great!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

This was our first trip to Ireland and how exciting to stay in a castle the first night. Although modernized, it was still fun to stay there. Our kids loved it. The breakfasts were very enjoyable and there was something for all of us. It was very noisy when others were in the halls. It will soon be ready for some refreshing, but as one that owns a hotel, I would still recommend it. The staff was absolutely amazing. Chris the concierge went above and beyond for us and we cannot thank him enough. It gets busy at night in the pub, so if you want casual food and a place to sit, get there early.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I'm delighted to read that you and your family had an enjoyable stay with us and that you found the staff to be so good. We strive to offer excellent customer service to our guests so I'm very happy that you experienced this. I'm very sorry if the hotel was noisy during your stay, we can get busy however we do everything in our power to ensure that as little disturbance as possible is caused to our guests. I apologise if this caused you any inconvenience. Thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate it. We'd be delighted to welcome you all back to the castle again in the future if you return to Ireland.

1,621 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

This is my fist time to Ireland and I wanted to stay in a Castle. Since we were visiting Dublin we decided on the Clontarf Castle. The Castle would be so much better if they wouldn't have done so much modernizing especially to the structure on the outside. The hotel is tatty ... The carpets/furniture need to be clean both in the common areas, hall ways, and in the bed rooms. The bedding is unbelievably comfortable considering the pillows are flat and have a odd duvet like comforter that is heavy, I truly expected not to get a good night sleep but I slept really well. Maybe it was the delicious martini that the Knights pub serves up! The Knights Pub is definitely the highlight of the hotel. The food is delish comfort food something like you would expect to get in a traditional Irish home. They have a carving on weekends that is to die for!!! OMG There is a special little place you can dine or have cocktails called the "Dungeon" which was totally cool and private.

The hotel staff is very accomodating and friendly. I enjoyed interacting with all of them during my stay. The full irsh breakfast buffet is definitely worth the extra money some of the staff in the mornng are not morning people :) in the breakfast room.

Keep in mind you are a good 20 min by cab (15-20 euros) from Dublin Central. Ireland was wonderful and I hope I was helpful.

Room Tip: Get the Executive room or suite
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I'm delighted you had a nice stay and that you enjoyed your time in Knights Bar, the staff at the castle, your bed and the breakfast in Fahrenheit Grill. However, I'm very disappointed that you found the hotel to be tatty. I can assure you that the hotel is cleaned every day, however I take your feedback on board and will investigate this issue. Thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate it and would be delighted to welcome you back to the castle again in the future if you return to Dublin.

Dundalk, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We spent only one night here recently but found the hotel and staff to be just wonderful. I had reason to speak to Chris and Ciara at front desk and they insured my Wife who has been ill lately was catered for in every way.
We were lucky enough to secure the King Suite with its lovely 4 poster bed and plush furniture. My wife was thrilled and surprised. We had a gorgeous dinner in the restaurant and relaxed then in our suite for the evening watching a couple of recent blockbuster films.
The bed mattress was amazing and my wife has already placed an order for one to help her sleep and ease aches and pains.
Breakfast was certainly no disappointment and at 10 euro pp for a full Irish buffet no better value can be found.
The staff all through were lovely and polite and overall we can thoroughly recommend this wonderful old building with all the modern amenities you need.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was really delighted to read your review. It seems like you had a really lovely stay with us and I'm so happy you enjoyed yourself so much. I'll be sure to pass your kind comments on to Chris and Ciara. A lot of our guests love our beds so I'm glad you felt the same. Thanks again for such lovely feedback, we really appreciate you taking the time to write a review for us and we'd love to welcome you and your wife back to the castle again in the future.

Lyon, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

The concierge, Michael Byrne, used to work for American Express, covering the entire country. There may be no person who is better wired into the travel scene through Ireland than your Clontarf Castle concierge -- and he is available to you as your free, personal resource. That alone is good reason to start your Emerald Isle experience at Clontarf Castle. (I should add that every member of the staff we encountered from front desk to table service in the restaurant was first-rate and attentive to customer service -- with Mr. Byrne being one of those exceptional figures you encounter rarely in your lifetime of travel.)

We made a driving trip through the country and, working within the framework of our existing reservations, he sat down with us and reviewed our entire vacation, suggesting things to do and see and steering us away from time sinks. His suggestion to take the ferry across the Shannon versus driving through Limerick was itself worth one night's stay!

For us, the distance from downtown was both a blessing and a hassle. We made the choice with open eyes and enjoyed the almost pastoral setting. As the driver -- with it being my first excursion in our rental car driving on the right from the airport to the hotel -- I was glad that I didn't have a baptism by fire and have to make an inner city trip during those first panicked, terror-filled minutes of driving on the "wrong" side of the road. Accessibility to the city itself was a chore, however. Then again, it is not a chore for those willing to drive in or hire a cab -- but it's certainly an added expense.

Mr. Byrne also clued us into the trick to getting into Dublin from the hotel: you catch the Hop-on/Hop-off bus in the morning and ride into town (to O'Connell Street, just north of the millennium needle thing) where you can then purchase your sightseeing ticket or simply disembark and stroll through the city. Getting back to the hotel wasn't as convenient. You can take a cab or catch the bus (the hotel is at the end of the bus line and the drivers make sure you don't miss the stop, so knowing when to get off isn't trouble). The bus stop, however, is a few blocks off of O'Connell Street, so make sure you get that squared away before you leave the hotel -- as merchants and locals along O'Connell Street pointed us in several different directions until we figured out how to read the bus stop signs (something that more literate hotel guests will possibly figure out immediately for themselves...but that's not us).

In terms of accommodations, I really wasn't sure what to expect for our rooms. Would they be musty, canopy beds in cavernous, stone-walled rooms? Would they be furnished with modular furniture in bright colors? We had no idea and no expectations. I think I'd classify the decor as spartan functional -- which suited us perfectly as we enjoyed the ambiance of the facilities and spent our time outside of the rooms, so -- in our case -- we simply needed "sleep pods" where we could connect to the Internet, recharge phone and laptops, sleep comfortably, take a warm shower and not be bothered. We got all of that with bells on -- but other guests looking for something more stylish or fancy or romantic in their rooms may be disappointed if their expectations aren't adjusted beforehand.

The restaurant on the premises is a huge asset because it negates the need to travel far and wide seeking decent fare. The Irish Stew was above-average -- or maybe all of my many other encounters with the dish elsewhere ended up being unusually subpar. That was the benchmark Irish Stew for my visit and the others fell short. The wine list -- important to us since we live in France -- has good quality and good values.

This would be ideal for a special event or occasion which does not rely on proximity to downtown. Or, like us, it's a superb launching point for a long, extended visit to Ireland (particularly for those who are getting their feet wet with right-side-of-the-road driving who may not want to get off a plane and drive into the city center right off the bat). If, however, you're in Dublin for a conference or your plans include connecting with the night scene and being in the heart of the city, then a less tranquil, more centrally-located hotel or inn should be in your plans.

Room Tip: The hotel, through its web site, offers various packages (generally for multiple night stays) and we...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for your review. I was so happy to read your review, it sounds like you had a really enjoyable trip to Ireland and I'm delighted the castle was a part of this. It's great that you found the staff to be so good and helpful during your stay, we pride ourselves on excellent customer service so I'm very happy that you experienced this during your time with us.
Thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate it and would be delighted to welcome you back to the castle again in the future if you return to Ireland.

Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

The core of the hotel is an old Castle, with a very impressive entrance hall. The modern piece of the hotel has been blended in very well with the original structure. The hotel is situated in a lovely part of the city. The price was very reasonable, breakfast was very nice. It's a taxi ride to the town centre, but not too far.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I'm delighted to read that you liked the castle and that you enjoyed your stay with us. It's great that you feel the blend of the old 12th century castle and new renovations which were added in 2007 work so well together. It was designed with our guests in mind to offer them the most comfortable luxury stay possible. Thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate it and would love to welcome you back to the castle in the future.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Came here as a treat for my mums 60th birthday and have to say it was a lovely experience! The staff are an absolute credit to the hotel, each and every one of them made our stay so amazing. Veejay in particular was so helpful and even brought a mini 60th birthday cake up to our room for my mum! It's little things like this which make your stay so special.
Location..10mins by bus to Dublin city centre but the location is ideal..it's in a lovely upmarket area of Dublin and it would be far too noisy to have stayed in the city centre! We had a lovely peaceful sleep here!
In terms of the decor,the castle itself is very pretty and from the outside u do feel like you're goin into a castle. However the standard rooms are just that..standard rooms you would get in any hotel in the world, not a castle. The owners should have kept the extension of the castle as an extension of the castle rather than a separate "modern corner" where you fee, could be anywhere. The reason u choose to stay in a castle is because its different, but as nice as the standard rooms are it was a let down as far as the castle experience goes. The bathrooms in the standard rooms are poor..the shower was so annoying..it kept flitting from hot to cold and my mum even burnt her arm because the shower kept changing temperature so much!
In terms of the restaurant..the food at the farenheit was delicious! But the portions are so so tiny even though it's nouveau cuisine we felt it was still too little!! My tuna steak starter was literally just a shaving from the corner of a tuna steak!! Again the staff were lovely here. Knights bar is a bit more pub grub type food but still nice and good for a more casual lunch/dinner

Overall, staff made our stay memorable but the room was a let down. I just cannot understand why the owners would have wanted to make an extension on a castle like any other hotel room and not keep in wi the castle feel??!!

Room Tip: If u can afford it definitely try and upgrade to one of the better rooms if u want the castle experi...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I'm really pleased that you liked the castle and found the staff and service to be so good. We strive to provide our guests with excellent customer service so I'm delighted that you experienced this during your stay. However, you have my sincere apologies that you had issues with the shower in your bathroom, I'm very disappointed to read this and i can assure you that I will look into this issue urgently. If you would like to discuss this issue with me personally please contact me on +353 1833 2321 or mlong@clontarfcastle.ie Thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate it and would be happy to welcome you back to the castle in the future.

Merritt Island, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This is an absolutely wonderful hotel. The restaurant was nice, the front desk staff were great, and the property was absolutely gorgeous. The room was wonderful and the room service was even good! The bed was literally the nicest one that we slept in our entire trip. I would highly recommend.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I'm so pleased to read that you had such a lovely break with us. It's great that you found the staff and service to be so good as we strive to offer our guests excellent customer service and I'm delighted you experienced this. Thanks again for your kind feedback, we really appreciate you taking the time to write this review. We'd love to welcome you back to the castle in the future if you ever return to Ireland.

Mark Long

Been to Clontarf Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!