“Excellent hotel first class service” 5 of 5 stars

Clontarf Castle Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Castle Avenue | Clontarf, Dublin D3, Ireland   |
Ranked #21 of 177 hotels in Dublin
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel first class service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We stayed here in February 2013 and I really couldn't recommend the hotel highly enough - the staff were extremely friendly and accommodating which made all the difference to our weekend as we were a large group. The reception, restaurant and bar staff were all so warm and friendly. The hotel itself and setting are both gorgeous- and the car park within the hotel grounds made it all very convenient. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was really delighted with your comments, it looks like you had a very enjoyable stay with us. I'm particularly pleased that you found the staff to be so accommodating as we strive to offer excellent customer service. Thanks again for your feedback we really appreciate it and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

1,606 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Turkish first
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Fantastic characterful hotel, just outside Dublin. Very nicely appointed rooms, clean, turned down beds, chocolates on the pillow. Very good facilities for conferences or wedding, great atmosphere. Can't wait to go back, and I will!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I'm delighted to read that you have such a nice stay with us and that you will be returning to stay with us again in the future. Thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate you taking the time to write your review. Looking forward to welcoming you back to the castle again in the future.

Marlton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We recently stayed here for 3 nights for our honeymoon. This was the first stop of three and we really got off to the right foot! The hotel was clean, friendly, and very helpful. We woke up and had breakfast every day and even hung out in the bar each night. I was worried about the noise because we over looked the patio to the bar, but honestly, I never heard a peep from anything!! The only thing that may turn people away is the distance to the main city area. It did get pricey with the buses, but we enjoyed the peace and quiet. We really enjoyed our stay!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the biggest room they have if you are worried about space. We were not, but I can see it...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review. I was really happy to read your feedback and delighted that you chose to stay at the castle as part of your honeymoon. I'm glad that you were not disturbed by any noise from our decking area. This outdoor deck is new to the castle and we strive to ensure that our guests are never disturbed by any events going on. I was also happy to read that you found the staff to be very helpful, we aim to provide excellent customer service here at the castle. Thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate it and would love to welcome you back to the castle in the future if you return to Dublin.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We stayed 2 nights during May and the hotel was everything we expected. Beautiful, comfortable bed in a classy room. The service staff were expecially nice and we give a big tick to the lady Manager of the dining room. We found it to be only a short bus ride to the city and it is located in a lovely area.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I'm delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable stay at the castle and particularly that you felt so welcome by the staff. We strive to provide excellent customer service to our guests so I'm really pleased that you experienced this during your stay. Thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate it and would be happy to welcome you back to the castle in the future.

Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We chose this place because of the character and charm portrayed in the photos and we were not disappointed. It has something to see in every corner of the main building. The restaurant and bar are very nice and cozy. All of the staff was very nice. I mentioned we were celebrating our anniversary and we had a slice of cake with Happy Anniversary written around the plate for us. Little touches like that are really nice and make people feel special.

Apparently its a favorite spot for the people who live nearby to come and have dinner and a pint or three. We met a very nice couple from the area and chatted up a bar staff as well. It was a very nice evening.

I will say not to expect the hotel part to look like the main building, its more modern and plain but, pleasantly clean. The rooms are on the smaller side but, certainly not uncomfortable. I really liked having a pop up window with a seat below it. It was a very nice evening and quite comfortable having the window open and waking up to the birds chirping. That was the other bonus to this place. It is not in town so, it was so quiet and tranquil. Also, take advantage of the hop on hop off bus that picks up at 9am at the hotel. I wish we had known that ourselves. We ended up taking the city bus a few blocks down the road, which is an option if your not up for getting out that early.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I'm really glad that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the castle to have lots of character and charm. I'm delighted that the staff personalised your meal and made you feel special. We strive to provide excellent customer service so I'm really pleased you experienced this. Thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate it and would love to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

San Diego, Cal.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Yes Clontarf is an old castle. Yes this is a hotel. No you are not staying in a castle. Just setting your expectations. The castle is incorporated into the lobby, restaurant and bar. The guest rooms and function rooms are solidly 20th century with all the modern amenities you would want. I stayed here for one night upon my arrival into Dublin. The hotel was very busy this Saturday night but I was able to find a table in the bar for a wonderful steak and Guinness pie. One of the best I have ever had. The room was good sized and had all the amenities you would assume of a hotel of this quality. I had breakfast in the dining room. It is part of the old castle and is beautiful. The breakfast was standard Irish fry buffet. The front desk staff were very helpful in getting me transportation, finding a church and mass times and holding my luggage after I had checked out. I would definitely stay here again. It is in a lovely neighborhood. Just don't think you are staying in a castle.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I'm glad you liked the combination of the old and the new at the castle. It is originally a 12th century castle but it has been completely refurbished in recent years to a deluxe four-star standard. It has been designed with our guests in mind to provide them with a luxurious and comfortable experience. Thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate it and would be delighted to welcome you back to the castle again in the future.

St Augustine Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Stayed two nights in family style room. Castle part of hotel is beautiful lots of character. Bedrooms are in a modern section which was disappointing. The wall plugs didn't work for our foreign devices which took 24hrs to have remedied, the fuse went out on the lights another time, when we asked about hair conditioner they told us they didn't have any because they forgot to order more. The bathroom amenities were minimal. The first morning they ran out of sausage,bacon and mushrooms but 15 minutes later more appeared. I found the male staff a bit abrupt at check in and throughout the stay. Not sure I would return but if I do I would certainly go with lower expectations. Ps almost forgot!!! found previous guests (child's) underpants on floor behind chair with other wrappers. Also we had bought a package inclusive of bed&breakfast and eve meal. When we went for the dinner we were disappointed that we had a different menu from everyone else and also it was the same menu both nights. The steak had a €5 up charge which was very poor value.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review. I was really disappointed with your comments and I'm very sorry you did not enjoy your stay as much as you should have. You have my sincere apologies about the issues with your wall plug and bathroom amenities and with breakfast. I'm also sorry that there was an item belonging to a previous guest in your room, I can assure you that I will look into these issues personally. I'm surprised to read that you were disappointed with your dinner menu options as part of your package and with the service at reception. You have my apologies for this, please be assured that this is a very rare occurrence. Thanks again for your feedback, it provides us with food for thought and we really appreciate it. If you would like to speak to me about your stay please don't hesitate to contact me on +353 1833 2321 or mlong@clontarfcastle.ie.

Mark Long

Been to Clontarf Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!