“lovely stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 177 hotels in Dublin
Tralee, Kerry, Ireland
“lovely stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

We stayed in a family room which had two big double beds and plenty of room. The breakfast was good and great value as the room was only 20 euros extra for b&b. The staff were all courteous and professional at all times. We had to book the room at short notice and the rate was good value. All four of us slept very well. The bar for was very good and the service was prompt. We stayed for one night in March 2013.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for your feedback on your stay with us at Clontarf Castle Hotel. It's great to read that you enjoyed your stay so much and found your room, the food and the service to be so good. Thanks again for your kind review, we really appreciate it and would be delighted to welcome you and your family back to the castle in the future.

Yours Sincerly,

1,615 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Turkish first
Clogher, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

My wife and stayed for the weekend The hotel itelf is located in a leafy suburb within walking distance of the Sea.
Its a great spot to unwind and if like us you didnt want the hussle of dublin on this occasion a great way to relax.
The hotel itself was great the room we had was fine and the food was fab great service. The bar was packed on the sat night and we found it hard to get a seat.
Overall would visit again great stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for your review of your stay at Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was happy to read you found the location of the castle to be so good, we feel we our location provides our guests with the best of both worlds: a peaceful setting but also close enough to the city. I'm delighted you found the food and service to be so good. Thanks again for your feedback, we'd be happy to welcome you back to the castle in the future.

Newtownards, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Great weekend, food fantastic all the staff were very friendly. Breakfast included in price and would last you until tea time! In a lovely leafy area of Dublin and local restaurants are also great. Would recommend this to anyone!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I'm delighted that you would recommend us to anyone and that you had such an enjoyable stay with us. Thanks again for your lovely feedback, we'd be delighted to welcome you back to the castle in the future.

Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for one night break including dinner. Room was very small with paper thin walls. We could hear everything from next door. Bathroom had a shower, no bath and again was quite small.
Dinner was included in the price as I mentioned but it was very average food and the menu was quite limited. Breakfast was enjoyable with a nice variety of pastries& hot/cold food.
Not a place I would book again for a special night away.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review. I was disappointed to read that you didn't think the castle was anything special. You have my sincere apologies that your stay didn't impress you as much as it should have. Our bedrooms do vary in size, however they were all refurbished to a high standard in recent years. I'm sorry to read that you felt menu options were average for dinner, we actually have a new menu since your stay as we strive to constantly improve our service. I'm glad you enjoyed the breakfast at the castle. Thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate it.

Dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I stayed here with my Fiancé at Christmas he lives in America so we wanted to go somewhere special, we availed of a special offer online which was one night B&B with bottle of Prosecco and cakes in the room on arrival. I had booked this hotel because I was so impressed online by its photos and I had also been to a wedding fair and wanted to stay to see if we could possibly use it for our wedding reception.
I made my booking and asked for an appointment to view the wedding facilities which we agreed for 3pm that day of our stay. When we arrived I mentioned that the wedding co-ordinator can call us in our room when they are ready to show us around, the receptionist than said he didn't know what I was talking about and had no record of our show around. So I said well can we view at some stage today anyway and the gentleman said yes and he would call me.
When we got to the room our prosecco was no where to be found so I called down for it and was told it would be in the room shortly. An hour went by and nothing was delivered. So I phoned again and they apologised and said it is on its way up. 30 minutes later and no one came to the room yet we kind of wanted to explore the hotel and decided to go to bar downstairs, it was lovely but it too took ages to get served. The staff kind of avoided eye contact, so we had to call the man over and he served us it was a wednesday and quiet..so dont get it. We had some bar bites which were good. We went back to our room and again our drinks were no where to be found, so I had to call the reception again. It was kind of embarrassing in front of my fiance because the whole point of the offer was to have a nice bottle in our room on arrival and I had to ask numerous times for it and eventually it was delivered hours later. Just think its bad service and made me disappointed in the hotel. The dinner later on that evening we had was really nice.
One of the other main reasons for our stay at the hotel was to view the wedding facilities and no one came back to us about showing us around after I made an appointment which wasn't set up for us, then when mentioning it to the receptionist he didn't follow it up for us or try and get someone to show us around. I did go to the wedding fair in November but my fiancé lives in the states presently and we only had Christmas to see venues together so this was our opportunity to see it. I was disappointed with the service I received and the lack of follow up on our interest in the hotel as a wedding venue. It's a pity as it a gorgeous stylish hotel with all the features I love..I just left feeling deflated and let down by the not good service. Sorry, wish our experience was a better one. We stayed December 19th 2012.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am sincerely sorry for the delay in getting your prosecco to your room and also that staff members were not aware of your show around and that this wasn't followed up with you. I'm really surprised and disappointed that this happened and I can assure you that I will be looking into it. I'm happy to read that you enjoyed your dinner in the restaurant and that you like the castle so much. I'm very sorry for the disappointment you experienced during your stay, this should not have occured. Please contact me directly on +353 1 8332321 or info@clontarfcastle.ie if you would like to discuss this further or if you are interested in returning to the castle to have the experience you should have had first time around.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I've stayed here a few times. The last in February 2013 for 2 nights. It's easy to find from the airport and driving up to the Castle is amazing. The staff are very helpful and very friendly while remaining professional. One staff member was even happy to bring a slice of cake into my room on the morning of my birthday and sing Happy Birthday to me. The rooms are clean and well maintained as is the rest of the hotel. The food is very nice and overall the value you get is great. I really do love staying here. Photos don't really do it justice and definitely have a wander outside at night to see it all lit up.

Room Tip: This is one hotel I've never asked to change rooms (which I do for the slightest reasons usually...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I'm delighted with all your comments and really enjoyed reading your review, it sounds like you had a great trip. Thanks again for the lovely feedback, we really appreciate it. We'd be happy to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We had a terrific time at the Clontarf Castle Hotel. The staff were nothing short of professional and extremely helpful with all our plans. The concierge staff deserved special recognition, Michael, Vejay, and Chris were superb in suggesting trips, doing after hours research on possible options, and insuring we were teated as VIPs when we arrived. They were the best.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I'm delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable stay with us. I'm particularly happy that you found the staff to be so helpful and i'll be sure to pass on your comments to the staff members in our concierge department. Thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate it.

Mark Long

Been to Clontarf Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!