“Third time a charm.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 177 hotels in Dublin
Waterford, Ireland
“Third time a charm.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

After my last stay at Clontarf i was skeptical about staying here again. I contacted staff members about my previous stay and they were more than helpful and very professional. The hotel itself is nothing short of immaculate. I could never fault the hotel. It oozes style and class. The staff were very efficient and made the stay so easy. I don't think i have gotten such good service from staff in any other hotel. They went out of their way to help my partner and I. This was very much appreciated. The room was amazing and very clean. The decor was sublime. The cold nights had hit Ireland but the rooms were so warm we could actually sleep with the window open. The fire in the lobby was always lit and it was lovely to sit and have a drink in front of it. The breakfast in the morning was very filling. There was a great selection of food and it all tasted gorgeous

Clontarf is a one of a kind hotel that everyone should experience. If they could get their booking system pin point perfect then i see no reason why this hotel would be not be classed as a 5 star establishment.

I would just like to say the staff in this hotel are brilliant but Natalie is an absolute credit to the hotel. I have never experienced such quality service during a stay as I have from her. She embodies what it is to be passionate about a job. I can not praise her enough for how she treated us during our stay,

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for choosing to stay with us at the castle and thanks for your feedback. I’m delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable stay with us. It’s great that you liked the hotel itself and its facilities and I’m particularly happy that you found the service to be so good as we really pride ourselves on excellent customer service here at the castle. I’ll be sure to pass your kind comments on to Natalie. Thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate it and we hope to welcome you back to the castle again in the future if you return to Dublin.

1,606 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Turkish first
Sixmilebridge, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Clontarf Castle Hotel on the night of the 10/11 November and attended the US Marine Corps Ball. We found the hotel to have a wonderful atmosphere with friendly professional staff and excellent food and good accommodation. When we made our initial booking, we intended taking our toddler kids and booked a large room. When we decided not to take them, the hotel was able to accommodate us with a smaller room at short notice. Our room was very comfortable and clean, although drainage from the bathroom sink was poor and the filter was dirty. Following a pleasant sleep, we had a thoroughly enjoyable breakfast (self-service, great selection for food). This hotel was a wonderful venue for the Ball and it possesses a fine function room. I would particularly like to mention Michael -the Concierge - he couldn’t do enough for us while we were there, whether sharing his extensive knowledge of Irish Whiskey (which I greatly appreciated!), or organising our taxi to the train station very quickly and at short notice. The hotel is located a short distance from the waterfront at Clontarf and it is well worth taking a walk there on a sunny morning, as we did. Ask Michael for directions!

Would we go back? Absolutely.

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review. I’m very happy to read that you had such a good time at the ball and that you enjoyed your stay in the castle. We were absolutely delighted to host the event and it’s great to get some feedback from an attendee. I take your comments about your bathroom on board and I will investigate
I’m glad you found the staff to be so helpful and I’ll be sure to pass your comments on to Michael in the Concierge Department. Thanks again for your feedback, we appreciate it. We hope you will return to the castle again in the future if you’re back in Dublin.

Leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

just returned from a weekend break with my wife. 10/12/Nov 2012 i booked the romance package direct through the castles own web site. the on-line booking was easy and fast. I upgraded our deluxe room to an executive room, and was well worth it. giant four poster bed, champagne and chocolates in the room for when we arrived. breakfast on 2 mornings and a dinner on the night of our choice in the hotel restaurant. we arrived at about 9 am having got an early flight from UK, and driving to Clontarf from the airport which took about 20 mins. we liked the fact that the hotel was not in the centre of town , instead set in a leafy suburb we were advised our room was not ready yet, which is understandable as it was quite early, we were advised to go and have some breakfast in the hotels Fahrenheit restaurant. which we did, and very nice it was too. full Irish breakfast, or continental style.Our luggage was stored securely for us. we decided to have a wander round Dublin city while our room was being prepared, the concierge was very helpful with directions and places to visit. after a few hours in Dublin and a few pints of the black stuff, we returned to the hotel, we were overwhelmed at our room, giant 4 poster bed, fluffy bathrobes and slippers, and champagne and chocolates waiting for us. definably the nicest room we have stayed in, even had a personal welcome to us on the TV screen. tea/coffee making facilities, and very nice bathroom. view was poor though, all we could see was the car park, but that took nothing away from the whole experience. the hotel is stunning,and everywhere you look there is an interesting. very authentic castle feel to it,although not much of the original castle remains. best thing to do is have a wander about, as there are corridors leading all over. the great hall is stunning when laid out for special occasions.
great history to this place, with lots of banners,wall carvings , and paintings, describing the battle of Clontarf. we hit the town on our first night, and ordered a taxi which arrived in 5 mins. we were told about temple bar area where all the pubs are and about how busy it gets.
the taxi driver was great ,with lots of information. as with a night out in any city centre it was heaving, and most of the pubs in temple bar were full to overflowing, which is not my scene, with all the people about and being in a strange city we still felt pretty safe. eventually found a bar with a great singer (cant remember the name of it. too many Guinness I think) warm friendly atmosphere even though busy. safe return back to hotel. taxis to city centre cost about 15 Euro
the bed was comfortably the best bed we have ever slept in. breakfast was excellent again.
we had hired a car from europcar and collected from Dublin airport. we asked the concierge Michael where to go for a day trip, he suggested Malahide and Howth.
Malahide is a nice fishing village about an 8 mile drive from Clontarf, and has a castle. we took the castle tour ( 12 Euro ) It was very informative and the castle is stunning. next on to Howth, we wasn't that impressed, nice scenery and walk round harbour and you get to see other islands just off the coast, great fish and chips at Berthoffs chip shop on the front near the car park. driving is easy with road signs that are easy to understand,
back to hotel for our dinner. well presented food which was hot, both my wife and I had the rib eye steak, mine was perfect, but wife said hers was fatty, just personal preference I guess.
all in all a fantastic place, warm,friendly and knowledgeable staff who cant do enough for you . sumptuous surroundings, elegant and sophisticated, old and new in perfect harmony. we cant rate this hotel high enough. thank you to ALL the staff for making our first trip to Ireland such a memorable one, and we will definitely be returning to Clontarf castle. and Ireland again,

Room Tip: if possible upgrade to an executive room, although i am sure a deluxe room would be above average, a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us at Clontarf Castle Hotel and thanks for your feedback. I really enjoyed reading your account of your experience and I’m delighted you had such a good time here in Dublin and at the castle. Our romance packages are very popular and our guests always compliment us on them. It’s great to read that you liked the castle and got the chance to learn about its history. It’s also great to read that the staff here at the castle were so helpful and made your stay extra special. Thanks again for your kind review, we really appreciate it. We’d love to welcome you back to the castle again in the future.

Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

What an awesome experience! It was our first ever trip to Ireland and we can't stop talking about it. Clontarf Castle was everything we had hoped for and more. Michael, the concierge gave us an impromptu tour of the castle which included its history, original architectural features and of course the haunted staircase and it's inhabitant! The accommodation was extremely comfortable and we received excellent service. Having a young child with us, we particularly appreciated the kiddies menu options as well. And FYI the soup of the day is an excellent choice! We were assisted with taxis and Michael gave us excellent advice regarding 'must see' attractions. We would love to go back for a return visit. It would be like visiting family.

Room Tip: Rooms either offer a bath (with a shower) or just a shower so think of your preference when booking...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us at Clontarf Castle Hotel and for your kind review. I’m so happy to read all your comments and I’m delighted that you and your family had such an enjoyable stay with us. It’s great that you enjoyed the food and found the staff to be so helpful. Our customer service and our food are 2 areas we often receive praise from our guests about. I’ll be sure to pass your comments on to Michael in our concierge department. Thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate it. We would love to welcome you back to the castle in the future if you ever return to Dublin.

Belfast, NI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

Only stayed one night but this was my second stay. It is handy if travelling from the north. Food is good. Rooms are well decorated and good. You can search around and get good deals for this hotel.
We took bus in and out of Dublin easily from this hotel. Bull Island is about 1km away and well worth a walk.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I’m delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and we would love to welcome you back to the castle in the future if you return to Dublin. Thanks again for your kind review, we really appreciate it.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Beautiful hotel in a really nice location. When we arrived our reservation was not in a system from some reason, but that was not a problem for the Front Office staff. Not only they were very professional but also upgraded us to an Executive room with four poster bed. Our bed was the most comfortable bed I ever slept in. Very clean room that had everything we needed. Restaurant was a little busy so we went down to the bar to eat, and that was quite nice. The hotel was very busy at the time due to storm in the US, so that was probably the reason for it. Breakfast was ok, it could do with more items like tomatoes, cucumbers, and more sliced meat/cheese selection but overall it was all fresh and tasty. Altogether it's an excellent hotel with first class service.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us at the castle and for your kind review. I’m really happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, particularly the bed in your room. All our rooms are to the same standard and we often get complimented on our memory foam beds. I take you comments regarding breakfast on board and it provides me with food for thought. Thanks again for your feedback. We hope that you will return to us in the castle if you come back to Dublin in the future.

Coleraine, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

First of all I have to say that this is a really beautiful hotel - one of the nicest we have ever stayed in. Room tastefully decorated and clean and all public areas absolutely gorgeous! The location was ideal for us - just a couple of miles outside the city in a residential area. We stayed in Room 011 for 3 nights (1st to 4th November) - the deal included dinner on one night and breakfast on two mornings. The morning of the 2nd (my birthday) we went for breakfast at about 9.15. We had to queue for about 10 minutes before a table was available. We then had some cereal and juice and proceeded to get our hot breakfast - another queue which did not seem to be moving. It transpired that they had run out of sausages, bacon, black pudding and mushrooms - another 5 to 10 minute wait until bacon was brought out, then after a couple of minutes sausages - couldn't be bothered waiting for the mushrooms or black pudding. After that I went up to get a Danish pastry but they too had run out - don't know if they were replenished as we didn't want to wait any longer We went out for the day and returned to our room for a rest at 3.45 - the room had not been made up! Had to ask at reception for this to be done. Having said this, the hotel, the food and the atmosphere was excellent and I would really love to give it 5 stars and despite the breakfast/room issue we would definitely love to return. Being fair there was no problem at breakfast the next day and we had dinner, bar meal and Sunday carvery, all of which were delicious. I expect that they were just very busy that day!

Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for choosing to stay with us at the castle and for your feedback. I’m delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us overall. However I’m disappointed to read that there were issues at breakfast and with your room not being dressed earlier. I’m very sorry that this was the case. You’re absolutely right that the hotel can be quite busy at times, with 111 bedrooms it can be quite challenging. We do strive to offer excellent customer service and the best possible experience to our guests, even at the busiest times. Apologies again that there were some issues with your stay; I will look into these issues with the managers involved. Thank you for your feedback, we really appreciate it.

Mark Long

Been to Clontarf Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!