“Awful customer service and attitude in the most average hotel” 1 of 5 stars

Red Cow Moran's Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Naas Road | Red Cow Complex, Dublin 22, Ireland   |
Ranked #82 of 174 Hotels in Dublin
belfast
“Awful customer service and attitude in the most average hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

I booked a stay for myself and my girlfriend in the summer of 2013, we booked about 2 months in advance specifying a double bed. This was our last weekend away before she went on holiday so i wanted it to be special. After travelling from belfast and a mix up with buses we arrived at our hotel at 7pm and we had dinner booked for 9pm. When greeted at reception we were handed out keys and told to go to our room, we made our way up to the room and to my shock, this was not the room which we had specified, we were given a triple room with 3 single beds. I thought there must have been a mix up and went down to reception and explained the situation. The girl on reception had a dry, unhelpful attitude to say the least. She tried to act surprised about the fact that it was a triple room as she must have thought we were stupid. She couldnt even have the decency to warn us before sending us up as she surely would have known the type of room. She then said that she had no double rooms left and that the only option was to push the beds together. It then became clear that due to a wedding and another party in the hotel they had obviously sold our double room on to another customer simply to make more money. id that this was not an option as it was not what i had paid for and unacceptable, to which she, for some reason could not understand. My girlfreind then got pretty upset as this was ruining our night and plans for dinner. I then got to speak to a more capable member of staff, i think his name was Robert, he asked me once again, was pushing the beds together an option? I confirmed that this was not really an option as we had paid alot of money for a double room. He then also tried to pin the blame on us saying that because we were late checking in, it was our fault we didnt get the proper room. At this I felt outraged as I knew that we had confirmed a late check in when booking it, also we had pre paid for our room. Our room should have been kept for us and there should have been no chance of us not getting our specified room as we had booked far in advance. He then assured me that he would sort something out for us at which I had high hopes. He then went away and we were left in the hotel lobby. By this time it was around 8.45pm. Robert then returned at about 9.30pm and told us to go back up to the same room. We then made our way up to the room and to my horror there was 3 single beds with 2 of these beds pushed together with a double mattress on it, the mattress didn't even cover the whole bed. By this time we had already missed our dinner reservation and just wanted to get ready and out of the hotel so we did not pursue the matter further. We then came back to the hotel later on that night and could barely sleep due to the high volume of noise. All in all it was an awful experience, selling our specified room to someone else and then trying to pin the blame on us.
I then contacted the manager Robbie a week or so later explaining the situation, He was understanding and said that next time we were down in Dublin we would get a free upgrade to a suite and dinner for 2. I was looking forward to this and tried to use it about 4 days before Christmas and to my dismay i was told they were closed, to which i still cant understand why. I then contacted him again and asked to use it for the 14/2/14 and i was told that a standard room in the hotel and breakfast was 120 euro, there was no mention of the free upgrade or dinner for 2. I then mentioned this to him and he confirmed we would get dinner but he wasnt able to say what sort of upgrade. Then out of interest i went onto their website a few days later just to confirm what price it was for a room and breakfast and it was coming up as 70 euro. So all in all we were not getting anything for free. I then just told him not to worry about it and there has been no word since. Good riddance ehh. Ended up booking the Hilton in the centre of Dublin for 77 euro so you cant be bad to that.

Avoid Red Cow Moran like the plague.

Room Tip: Choose a good room??? Evidently this hotel will sell off your room to the highest bidder!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

A couple of friends and i booked a room here last June for 3 days.
Spacious room, lovely bathroom, view of the mountains, friendly staff, hassle check-in/ check-out procedures.
We were mainly using the public transport, so the only negative was the walking distance between the hotel and the station - 5-8minutes walk. But considering you get a lovely view of the mountains on your walk over as well as a nice breeze, this walk isn't all bad! Also, it is slightly far from the Dublin city centre... So it is quieter :)
Transportation - there is a direct bus to and from the Dublin Airport (to the nearest Luas station... Not the hotel.)

Did not use any facilities as it was a short trip.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
RedCowMoranDublin, Manager at Red Cow Moran's Hotel, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Hi CSmatzy

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay here at the Red Cow Moran Hotel. Im glad to hear you found the location of the hotel suitable and easily accessible for you. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Again Many Thanks
Waterford, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

When we got to the Red Cow Hotel, we were very warmly welcomed by the two girls at the reception desk. They were very helpful and friendly and had no problem helping us with directions. The room was gorgeous and we loved how you could adjust the heat to how you liked it.
Dinner at the hotel was a big dissapointment. I got the chicken curry and I found the chicken was so burnt it was like eating coal! My boyfriend got the beef burger which was also very burnt. Not what we expected for the 4 Star Hotel!! The atmosphere in the bar, however, was good.
The next morning we went for breakfast, which was also disappointing. The hostess was very rude when we arrived and made us feel very unwelcome and uncomfortable. We felt this was because of our ages (me being 21, my boyfriend 22) as she just grunted and snapped at us, while she was very accomodating and polite to the older couple just ahead of us. We then waited for 20 mins for our order to be taken, even though the waiting staff were coming in and out taking other peoples orders. We tried to give our order to the same hostess as she passed our table, but we were told very rudely to "just wait" while she walked away and didnt come back. Eventually we ordered and when the food arrived it was wrong. When we were checking out, the girls at reception were again very nice, chatty and accommodating.
If it wasn't for the great service at reception and the comfortable room, we would have left the Red Cow Moran Hotel even more disappointed than we already were.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Sarah H

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay here at the Red Cow Moran Hotel. Im glad to hear that you had a nice welcome to the hotel and you liked your bedroom.

I am sorry to hear about the issues you had at breakfast, here at the Red Cow Moran Hotel we pride ourselves on our service and customer satisfaction. If you would like to contact me directly I would like the opportunity to discuss the issues you had.

Many Thanks
jbailey@moranhotels.com
Amsterdam
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

I stayed 4-5 times, its handy for the office, but its just to hit and miss, so not any more.
They let the drunks from the night club next door book rooms, so don't expect too much sleep, it can turn into a mad house, happened on more than 1 occasion.
Irish breakfast was a joke, spent so long under the grill, the black pud was as hard as the 2 euro coin the breakfast was worth.

The bar is nice, good drink, nice food, good atmosphere. I'd go for a drink and snack but not to stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
RedCowMoranDublin, Manager at Red Cow Moran's Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Hi AndyLake

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay here at the Red Cow Moran Hotel. I am sorry to hear that you have had a bad experience here at the hotel. Here at the Red Cow we pride ourselves on servuce and customer satisfaction. If you would like to contact me directly on jbailey@moranhotels.com I would love the opportunity to ensure a pleasant experience on a return visit.

Kindest Regards
Kilkenny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

Frequently stay at this hotel while on business in the Capital. As my head office is in Bluebell, this hotel is the obvious choice for staying in.

Its location, ample free parking and good quality beds make it a perfect home away from home.

The only inconvenience that I had was that my key card would not open my door. So had to go back to reception for a new card. Other that that - very good.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Hi bigjoekelly

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay here at the Red Cow Moran Hotel.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us, apologies for the error with the key card and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Many Thanks

Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

We went to the Red Cow Restaurant for a meal and It was such a lovely evening The service-great staff so friendly..nothing too much to please the customer
I asked the lady serving (name Phyllis) would it be a problem to change some of the dish I was having..The reply 'no problem at all'
Everything was served just as I had asked
What a lovely evening.. The Red Cow is on my list for a very pleasant
night out
Thank you Phyllis and the rest of the staff for the attention given on a very busy night

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
RedCowMoranDublin, Manager at Red Cow Moran's Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Hi MPetersDublin

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience in the Winter Garden Restaurant here at the Red Cow Moran Hotel.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your meal and that you recieved a nice service from the staff. I will extend your thanks onto the staff for you and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future. If you would like to make any future bookings for the restaurant please feel free to contact me directly.

Again Many Thanks

jbailey@moranhotels.com

Been to Red Cow Moran's Hotel? Share your experiences!