“Great location - great hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Blooms Hotel

Save Saved
You added Blooms Hotel to your Saves list
Blooms Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 Anglesea Street | Temple Bar, Dublin 2, Ireland (South City Centre)   |
Ranked #94 of 177 hotels in Dublin
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great location - great hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Great location - just on edge of Temple Bar so you are just steps away from great pubs and restaurants - and not too noisy - we did hear some revellers in the back ground, but once the window was closed we heard nothing and we were on the 2nd floor. Staff were very nice, breakfast was very nice and value for money. Plus a great bar attached to the hotel - quiet enough to talk but still a great atmosphere. Very clean, plenty of tea and coffee in room - excellent value for money. We had read some negative reviews of this hotel but are pleased to say we had no problems and thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

843 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Turkish first
Kirkby, Merseyside
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Only problem we had with this hotel was the price but everything else was excellent, from the service to the clenliness, in the middle of the temple bar area with its own bar with traditional irish music brilliant, plenty of place to eat and drink would recommend for a visit

• Stayed August 2013
Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Very central location in the heart of temple bar. Parking was at a local car park and cost 13 Euro for 24 hours. Staff were friendly enough and it has a nice bar as part of the hotel. The biggest downside is the noise!! The noise from local bars travel down the street and went on to all hours. After that it was glass collection and deliveries. Ok hotel if you don't need much sleep.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

It was our second visit in Dublin and we really enjoyed it! The hotel was perfect situated with friendly and helpful staff. The rooms were not very big but clean and comfy. The hotel pub VAT was great with daily live music and again friendly staff. There are many other pubs within a short radius and for shopping Grafton street is not far away.
We'll definitely stay at Blooms again!

• Stayed August 2013
wicklow
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night in august, great location but as for the reception staff, some manners wouldnt go astray. We dealt with two members of reception staff, they have to be the most ignorant people I have met in my life, decor in rooms was ok not great, will not stay here again as I was very unhappy with treatment from reception staff, in these recession times with people crying out for jobs there are plenty of well mannered polite people out there who would be much better suited to this job than the two horrible men we dealt with.

• Stayed July 2013
Hull
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

My girlfriend booked this hotel for a surprise birthday treat. I have been telling her for ages that I will take her to Dublin and the Blooms Hotel as I have stayed there over 30 times.

On arrival we were greeted by a lovely, polite receptionist. We were to early to check in but we left our bags and she said she would call us as soon as a room was ready. We went walk about and true to her word she rang us to let us know we could get in to room, 3 hours before normal check in, what service.

We got in to our room on the 4th floor and I noticed since my last visit that they have been fully refurbished. The room was very spacious, well decorated and very clean.

In the evening, yes you can hear noise from the revellers below but it didn't bother us in the slightest.

All in all a fantastic hotel, with great, courteous staff which makes me comeback to this excellent establishment in the heart of a beautiful city time and time again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I stayed in the hotel exactly a year ago. Was going to write a review then but e mailed the hotel to mention some issues that arose and got a reasonable reply so didn't bother but thought I would do now after reading some more recent reviews.

From Dublin but decided to spend a night in the city with my sister and do the 'tourist thing' for her Birthday and to give her a day off from her two infant children. The rate was very good and the location is right in the heart of the city so no complaints there.

First impressions, as others have mentioned, were not good. The receptionist checking us in did not have the best English and was quite 'assertive' in looking for a €50 deposit in case of room damage. I had paid by credit card in advance and have never been asked to pay such a charge in any hotel I have ever stayed in worldwide so was taken aback by this. His attitude made you feel almost like a criminal just checking in. Then he tried to get us to give passports - again a first time for this. I explained I lived less than 10 miles away and had never been asked for passports before and why it was necessary but he just insisted it was company policy. I asked to see a Manager at this point who I was told was unavailable so in the end reluctantly handed over the €50 but it gave a very bad first impression exacerbated by the fact that the receptionist could not fully explain the reasons for these policies but I decided not to get annoyed over it.

The room, however, was airy and spacious if a little basic. I did notice that there were no tea/coffee making facilities in the room - unique amongst any hotel I've ever stayed in - luxury or budget in Ireland or the UK. It was annoying having to go out first thing in the morning to get tea and a coffee. When I mentioned this I was told that as a budget hotel it was not policy to provide such a basic ammenity but I see from recent reviews that they now have tea/coffee in the rooms so maybe offering this kind of feedback as I did makes a difference.

After going out to dinner and relaxing we came back to the hotel t have a few last drinks before going to bed. The hotel on its website boasts a residents bar. We ordered drinks at about 11.10pm and then tried to order another at 11.40pm as the bar thinned out, expecting that as residents we would be looked after but we were disappointed. We were told that the bar was closed (it's meant to at 11.30pm for non residents) and we would have to leave the hotel to get drinks.

One of the nice things about a night out like this should be being able to go back to your hotel and enjoy a couple of drinks knowing that your room is only upstairs. The fact that we were residents didn't make any difference to the barman who seemed like all he wanted to do was get home. I have never experienced anything like this in an Irish hotel but looking back it matched the attitude from the reception staff when checking in so it appeared to me to be a company wide philosophy. The fact that we weren't asked for last orders if the bar was closing at 11.30pm (as all decent pubs do) exacerbated the situation and annoyed me more. As well as the fact that the hotel boasted on its website of a Residents Bar but it turned out this was a phantom facility for during the week. I must say that the entertainment up until this time was good and lively.

I contacted the hotel raising some of these issues and in fairness I got a resonable response. The then Manager relied on the poor state of the economy to deal with some of the issues raised and I was offered a free breakfast if I spent the night there again. I haven't yet but maybe I will. He explained that it was uneconomic to have a Residents Bar during the week and maybe so but surely the night porter, who is in the hotel anyway, could at least be equipped with a bottle opener to open a bottle of beer thereby generating the hotel additional income rather than moving the prospect of additional income away from the hotel? I mentioned that the website listed a Residents Bar as its facilities and the manager agreed that it shouldn't be listed on the website and said that this would be corrected. But now a year on, as I looked at the website again it is still there uncorrected and presumably, misleading

I haven't been back but may still do to enjoy that free breakfast. You couldn't get a better location for a hotel but service I found was patchy. Hopefully in the intervening year things have been improved.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Blooms Hotel? Share your experiences!