“Still our go to hotel in Dublin” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
Book Direct-10% Discount!
Ranked #39 of 176 Hotels in Dublin
Waterford, Ireland
“Still our go to hotel in Dublin”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

My wife, 2 small kids and I just stayed at the Camden Court for a second time. (The first was on our own). The central location, friendly efficient service, free parking and swimming pool all at great value is what brought us back.

The room was excellent with the travel cot for our 1 year old all set up when we arrived. The only real complaint we had was it being next to the road and the corresponding noise. For that reason we had to leave the window closed and the room got very hot which made for a bit of a restless night. In future I'd ask for a non roadside room (like we had the first time).

But we dusted off the cobwebs with a nice swim in the pool the next morning. That was after a excellent breakfast (they didn't even charge our 1 and 3 year old which was a nice touch).

One other small gripe. We were going to the Dublin Convention Centre and the webiste says a 20 or 25 minute walk. The lady at reception told us the same. It took closer to an hour. Still, the location to shops, bars, restaurants can't be beat.

I wouldn't hesitate in returning or recommending this place. It's now our "go to" hotel in Dublin.

Room Tip: Avoid the street side.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
NI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Stayed as a family of 2 adults and 2 children in room 400. Had emailed ahead and asked for a refurbished room and was very pleased that this was accommodated. Also that the extra bed was a proper single bed and not a camp bed. Room quite warm but left our fan on. Didn't find the noise from the street an issue. Free car parking very good. Staff were lovely and very accommodating. Very nice pool sauna etc. 10/15 mins walk to st stephens green and grafton street. All in all lovely hotel and would def return.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Woodbridge, Virginia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

There are many things I liked and didn't like about this hotel.

We landed in Dublin from the USA at 5:30am. We figured they wouldn't have a room, but they did get us one by 11am. We were truly thankful for that.

They don't have A/C. Which I had found out from Tripadvisor beforehand. However I called and they said we have plenty of fans and it shouldn't be a problem. It really was. We were blessed with nice weather in Dublin. It only rained 1 day. So, when you came back to your room after it was 75 degrees outside it hit you like a ton of bricks. The hallways were the worst. I feel really bad for the staff. I understand Dublin is normally very cool, but still it was bad.

Also, we WANTED to leave our fan on in our room while we were out to keep it cool. The maid turned it off and shut our window everyday. That drove me nuts. I get wanting to save electricity, but you don't have A/C in the hotel. How much is your electric bill really?

We never tried the restaurant in the lobby. It seemed pricey for pretty standard food.

The location wasn't bad. We were close to St. Stephens Green, and about a 15 minute walk to Grafton street.

Lastly, the room is very outdated. It is wooden bed. Everything it 80's wood style. I think for the price it should have been a little more updated. Also, they checked bags, and I felt they were safe.

Staff was great. I really did enjoy them!

Room Tip: I really don't know. We got a very outdated room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I have stayed in the Camden Court approximately 60 times over the last 7 or 8 years mainly for going to gigs and sometimes for business. I don't stay anywhere else if I can help it. My father is the same having spent on average of 2 nights a week there for a few years whilst on business in Dublin.

For me, it embodies everything a hotel should be - central, modern, friendly, clean and reliable.

The rooms (especially the renovated ones) are comfortable and decorated nicely. Each room has a flat screen TV with a decent amount of channels.

The bathrooms are basic white tiles and fittings but this doesn't matter because the shower comes with one of the most important hotel features (for me at least) a shower with excellent pressure.

The staff on the front desk and the bartenders are all very welcoming.

I've had breakfast in the hotel a couple of times - standard fayre but it is cooked and presented well.

Located on the top of Wexford St it is ideally positioned to discover Dublin city. Furthermore there are some great places on Wexford Steet to enjoy - "Against The Grain" is a nice little craft beer bar. "Whelans" and "Anseo" are known for being laid back with decent music. "Cassidy's" is great for a pint of Arthur's best and watching the football. There are several chip shops which do nothing to help my waistline but what can I do? It'd be rude not to sample it.

Finally and one of the things that keeps me coming back to The Camden Court time after time is the availability of parking. Not only is it FREE but it is also secure.

I have booked to stay here twice in the next two months and will continure to do so for both business and pleasure.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Lisburn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Stayed here on business before and really enjoyed it. This time we went as a family (kids 8 & 9) on a voucher deal.
I didn’t expect such a good experience since we’ve had disappointments with other hotels using vouchers.
We were not treated any differently to any of the other guests. On arrival we were greeted by friendly and professional staff at reception who engaged in conversation and answered all our questions. Our room had three proper beds and was very clean and spacious.
We checked in at 6pm and rushed down to the pool which allows kids to swim up to 7pm. The leisure centre was very clean and the staff here were very friendly here as well.
Next morning we had a great breakfast, the choice of food which was all fresh and well-presented meant that even our picky eaters couldn't complain.
We left our car in the secure car park at the hotel and used the tram system to get about. There is a tram stop just around the corner.
Overall this was an excellent experience in a good location and I will definitely be back. THANKS.

Aberdeen
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Good location since close to St Stephens Green. Friendly & prompt check in on arrival, lift to 5th floor with room at end of a long corridor. The rooms are clean and tidy but tiles in bathroom and room furniture rather dated.
We didn't have time to experience the leisure facility or restaurant but both looked worth a visit. Free, secure underground parking.
Only problem was the noise from the courtyard area ment we had to close the window, despite it being a warm evening.

Room Tip: Pick a room away from coutyard
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bruges, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

I was a bit surprised by the many excellent ratings on tripadvisor. In my opinion this is much overrated :
- Rooms definitely need refurbishment. Both the room and the bathroom give an outdated impression, e.g. joints between tiles that have deteriorated or have disappeared
- while we were in Dublin, outside temperature never rose above 20°C, however in the room it was definitely above 25°C. There is no airco, and leaving the window open for an entire day didn't solve the problem. I was in Italy last month, while it was above 35°C, and my room was cooler over there than in cloudy Dublin ; not really what you expect.
- Beds are uncomfortable : it is like sleeping on a wooden board. I normally like sleeping on somewhat harder mattress but they shouldn't exagerate
- Breakfast is disappointing. It may be OK if you are very fond of the typical Irish breakfast. Personally I love some sweet stuff in the morning, but in that respect the buffet is really poor. What is particularly disappointing is when you find a sign above the toaster that says that you shouldn't put any croissants in it, while you cannot find any croissant in the entire breakfast room (you probably need to bring them yourself).

Positive element is the friendliness of the staff and their willingness to help whenever possible.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Rebekah L, Online Reputation Manager at Camden Court Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us. I am very disappointed to learn of your experience with us. In relation to your comment about the bedrooms, we sincerely apologise for your discomfort with your bed and that the room was not to your liking temperature-wise. We are experiencing higher temperatures than normal in Dublin for the summer period. We do offer fans to any guests that require them.
As for the breakfast, we strive to offer as much choice to accommodate all tastes in our buffet selection. We generally offer croissants within our bread selection so we apologise there were none available during your visit.

We are pleased to learn however that the staff that made a positive impression on your experience.

Once again, I apologise for any shortcomings that we had during your time with us. I know we can do better and will certainly learn from our mistakes. I hope we'll have the chance to welcome you back some time in the future and if I can help with that, please contact me at rlavelle@camdencourthotel.ie - Kind Regards, Rebekah Lavelle

Been to Camden Court Hotel? Share your experiences!