“a pleasant stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 176 Hotels in Dublin
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“a pleasant stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

This hotel is conveniently located and the reception staff is pleasant. The room was comfortable and clean. A good place to stay.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Jersey, Channel Islands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

I have now stayed at the Camden Court around 6 times and just realised I have never reviewed it. And then it struck me why. There is very little to say - in a positive or negative way!
This hotel does everything ....just fine. But perhaps there's not much wrong with that, and therein may lie the hotel's selling point.

The rooms are on the whole, large and clean. The last few times, I have had a view over office blocks to the rear, which while not an idyllic view, matters not to me on business. After all, most people are here because it is a short walk into Temple Bar, Stephen's Green and Grafton street, or the River and the IFSC. It is clean, well presented and has good, unfussy service.

I have eaten in the restaurant a few times, and have found it to be.....yes....just fine. The food is good, not excellent, the wines are just fine and the price is...yes...also fine.

The Guinness is good (as one would hope, although the Bleeding Heart pub next door is a cracking place (it is also on the Joyce trail if that's your thing).

Why do I stay here? Because everything is just fine. I know I will get a comfy room, a decent enough meal, a nice pint of Guinness and a central base to get to my meetings in Dublin.

Would I want to holiday here? Certainly not. There is nothing either that sets me on fire or raises any enthusiasm for the place. But on balance, it's just....fine. And I will return.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Coseley, null, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

Booked this back in May only to advised on arrival that they had a technical problem with web bookings which caused them to be over booked. As such we were relocated to the sister hotel about 15 minutes drive away, which they assured us was of the same quality. It wasn't!!!

On arrival at the Camden there is a warm appealing atmosphere and there were plenty of facilities that made it a good choice.

Disappointing to be relocated, especially when they could have contacted us earlier to advise of the muck up and allowed us to rebook elsewhere in good time.

Room Tip: Probably worth a call to ensure they ve not had another technical glitch!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dudley, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

On arrival was pretty impressed with the look and feel of the hotel, only to be greeted with a "oh, can you sit over there for a minute and I ll be right over" from the receptionist.

A minute or two later we were attended by the duty manager who politely told us that the hotel was overbooked due to a technical error with their system. As such they would need to relocate us to another hotel nearby, a sister hotel, which he assured us was to the same standard - The Grand Canal Hotel - it wasn't, and the assured "nice room" turned out to be a standard family room!

They provided a complimentary evening meal and bottle of wine and have offered a complimentary nights stay should we ever return. The meal was just about ok and the bottle of wine a cheap "house white".

Not exactly what you would want for a wedding anniversary visit!
Having booked in May, would have expected them to contact us at least a week prior to visiting to let us know what had happened and to sort things out sooner. Disappointed to say the least.

Room Tip: Might be worth a phone call a day or two before to ensure that they are not over booked again!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We are regular visitors to Dublin and we decided to stay here because we got a received a great rate on hotels.com. Arriving at the hotel, we were impressed by the reception area. We checked in to find our room was not ready so we sat and got a drink from the bar. This is where our problem began. A member of staff who appeared to be senior to other receptionists proceeded to imply that we had not purchased the drinks there due to having our bags (which did include a sealed bottle) beside us. We clarified that we had just bought the drinks at the bar. She continued to question staff beside us about the drinks. I thought this was particularly bad as she could have been a lot more discrete about her questioning. We were made feel so suspicious that we proceeded to reception to show the receipt from the bar. This was definitely not the welcome that we had expected.

Apart from this our stay was o.k. The room was clean and comfortable. The bathroom was nice but the shower was no way powerful.
Location is very good and close to lots of bars and restaurants. I would consider staying here again but the price would have to be right. Having stayed in various other hotels in Dublin, it would not be top of my list.

Room Tip: Perhaps ask for an end of corridor room as we were in the middle and it was quite noisy in the morni...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Milton Keynes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

The Camden Court is very conveniently situated next to the Harcourt Street Luas tram stop. Those travelling from Dublin airport should take the number 16 bus from the airport which also stops just outside (ask the driver for Upper Camden Street) - at only €2.35 a single its much cheaper than the airport bus or taxi and just as convenient.

I routinely stay in this hotel on business in Dublin. The rooms have been undergoing a refurbishment, and those that have been completed are stylishly furnished and comfortable. Bathrooms are spacious and clean. In addition the spa facilities in the basement provide a very good swimming pool for unwinding. Both the bar area and restaurant provide very good evening meals. I am usually staying in the hotel to run training courses to Irish businesses, and I find the conference facilities and lunch buffets excellent.

There are some grips. Make sure you get breakfast in your room rate - it really isn't worth what they charge for a walk in, and there are plenty of little cafes close by that do a better breakfast for a better price. I once stayed in the hotel and discovered in the morning that my bedsheets had mould on them (clearly a damp laundry issue!). However, when I raised my complaint with the hotel management, they dealt with it promptly, were very apologetic, and immediately offered a discount etc. I had no quibble as to how my complaint was dealt with, and this positive out of a negative situation has ensured they have retained my business.

I have no hesitation in recommending a stay here.

Room Tip: The lift service can be a bit of a wait so the lower the floor the better (as you may give up and us...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

When my friend and I made a spontaneous decision to travel to Dublin 5/31-6/6/12, I immediately began my hotel research on TripAdvisor. Upon speaking with our travel agent, she recommended the Camden Court Hotel based on her own previous stay at the hotel. I'm pleased to report that we were very happy with our choice.

We found the location to be perfect for our needs, and aside from a few rain showers that made the 10 minute walk to the Grafton Street area a downer, we otherwise didn't mind being slightly down the street from all the hustle and bustle.

The hotel lobby is welcoming, and we were pleased with our rooms. We had a room with 2 twin beds, which was what we wanted. The room and bathroom were very clean (and I pay particular attention to these details when staying in a hotel).

We found the internet connection to be annoyingly spotty and intermittent. So much so that we would typically become too frustrated and just give up. It was nice to check emails for free, which I know is not the standard at most hotels, but if a hotel offers free wi-fi, it should work.

Additionally, we did not have wash cloths for our entire 5 night stay. This is very odd to me, and since we didn't receive them on any day, I assume they aren't provided (we even searched through a housekeeping cart, to no avail). Bring your own shower-puff!

While in Dublin, we visited all the major attractions, and took 2 day tours through Viator to Cliffs of Moher, Glendalough, and Kilkenney. Very worthwhile to venture out and see the beautiful countryside.

The Bleeding Horse next door was our "go to pub" for most meals and pints.

All-in-all, we both highly recommend the Camden Court!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Camden Court Hotel? Share your experiences!