“Thank you Cassidys!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cassidys Hotel

You added Cassidys Hotel to your Saves list
Cassidys Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cavendish Row, Upper O'Connell Street, Dublin 1, Ireland   |
Ranked #59 of 176 Hotels in Dublin
Chicago, IL
“Thank you Cassidys!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2005

Cassidys really pulled through for us - we arrived at 9am local time and were able to check in immediately to dump our luggage and begin our whirlwind tour.

We booked a triple room (a double bed and a single) as there were two adults and one child, and we were really pleased with the rooms. The beds were a bit lumpy and shorter that we were used to, but I attribute that to Europe having different standards than the U.S. Our hotel room was small but very clean, and the bathroom was really, really nice - a welcome change from the public restrooms around town which had lower standards of size, temperature, and quality.

For location you simply can't beat Cassidy's. As it's one block from the tour bus pickups and also one block from the Ireland tourism store, it was perfect. Although it was a record cold spell during our trip, we were able to comfortably walk or hop on/hop off almost anywhere we wanted.

As to what's hot and what's not in Dublin...the Guiness warehouse was ok, Trinity college book of Kells was fabulous, Kilmainhaim Goal was incredible, Dulbinia was disappointing, Viking splash was great, St. Patricks was amazing, the monastary ruins and tour to Wicklow were breathtaking, Malahide was ok, Howth was nice, but my favorite time of all was kicking back with the locals in the pubs. The people were very, very friendly to us (surprising since so many reviewers said they treated Americans with disdain) and we felt very welcome indeed. The only negative...our 10 year old daughter was unfortunately not allowed in the Temple bar pubs after 8pm so we couldn't pub crawl - and this kept us from listening to a great deal of live music, but still we found places that would allow us in (I assume because they were eating establishments) and let us hang out there for hours (Toddy's). Thanks Dubliners! and thanks Cassidys for a wonderful trip!

• Stayed November 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
nottingham england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2005

we spent three days at cassidys hotel in november,we received a warm welcombe ,on arrival our room was ready, although we did arrive three hours early. the room was warm comfortable,and clean. with crisp sheets on the bed.the bathroom was clean and the shower hot and powerful.the staff were excellent, and even booked our trip to the wicklow mountains for us,(beautiful not to be missed)we ate in the restaurant both for breakfast.which is open untill 11 am and evening meal, both were excellent, tasty hot food and served with a smile.on our next stay in dublin it will be cassidys again. we had a wonderful stay in beautiful dublin.

• Stayed November 2005
London UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2005

My sister and I stayed at Cassidys for one night. We booked single rooms and I was pleasantly surprised at how large they were. My sister's room was nicer than mine in that it had bigger windows and so was much lighter plus the trouser press in my room had fallen off the wall it had been removed leaving holes in the wall giving slightly down at heal impression. However the room and bathroom were clean and comfortable. The receptionist was pleasant and efficient. The real let down was the breakfast, firstly the lady in charge was unfriendly and showed us to a table which had yet to be cleared and secondly the cooked breakfast looked completely unappetising. I avoided it, my sister took a platefull but didn't eat any of it. Also the restaurant walls where we sat seemed to be splattered with food and could have done with a wash. All in all ok for a one night stay if you are not bothered about the breakfast.

A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2005

Stayed 2 nights with my wife and daughter in August as part of a round the world trip. I ought to say from the outset that, of all the places we stayed, Dublin was the major disappointment. It was freezing during our stay and, despite the reputation, we generally found the people to be pretty inpersonal. In fact, just before we left my wife popped into a shop to make a last minute purchase and was virtually abused by the shop assistant after taking up her offer of a bag for her shopping! The exceptions were a day trip to the Wicklow Mountains which was terrific and a guided tour of Kilmainham Jail which was a great insight into Irish history.
The hotel itself was very ordinary. I should have got the signals early on as one of the letters on the sign outside the hotel was falling off and, whilst I was in the mens room waiting for my room to be made up,the cleaning lady burst in (twice in fact) talking loudly to herslf and oblivious to me. With a couple of exceptions, the staff, though never unpleasant, were fairly cold and not particularly welcoming. A smile or two every now and then would have helped.. The exception were the breakfast team who were excellent. The location was good for O'Connell St. but I would endorse the comments of other reviewers and would definitely saty in the Southern part of town if I ever visited Dublin again. I don't think I've ever seen as many drunks during the daytime as I saw in O'Connell St. and a couple of them were pretty abusive to passers-by.
Maybe we just didn't understand the Dubliners!

• Stayed August 2005
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2005

The location of this hotel was the only thing that I really liked about it. Okay, the lobby is inviting and the room LOOKS attractive when you walk in. The shower in our room had absolutely no water pressure and the water literally dribbled out of the shower head. We reported this.... nothing was done (we stayed two nights). The sheets on the bed smelled like urine! Absolutely disgusting! When we left, they claimed that we had a bar charge of something ridiculous like 3 EURO. We told them we didn't go to the bar for the entire stay. The guy at the front desk didn't believe us and proceeded to spend 5-10 minutes looking for the receipt that supposedly had "our signature" on it. I had signed something when we checked into the hotel (w/ my passport info on it, etc). He took a look at the scribbled signature (obviously someone who knew they were charging the wrong room), looked at my signature (I have pretty neat penmanship) and then asked "is this your signature?" I said "you've got to be kidding me... I already told you that I didn't charge anything from the bar." He still looked at me like "sure you didn't" and said "well, since you say this isn't your signature, we won't charge you!" Of course you won't! So, 10 minutes later, we finally checked out of the hotel! I should have just given him the 3 EURO.... would have taken less time!

A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2005

We arrived at 9am on the early flight and surprisingly were given our room straight away, a good start. We had requested a room on at least the second floor after reading reviews on this site but unfortunately we got a room on the ground floor at the back of the hotel. It was as noisy as i had feared with traffic and passers by at all hours of the day or night.

The room was ok, could have been cleaner though. Very small beds too, beware if you are tall.

The shower was a puzzle, it seemed to work to suit itself and staff could not really help. basically it needed replacing. As did many things around the hotel.

I got the impression from most of the staff that they were just tolerating the guests, no friendly chat or politeness from staff, none were rude however.

The foreign, eastern Eurpean, staff at the hotel were far more helpful and friendly than the Irish management.

The lock on the door was tempremental, at some point every day it refused to work and was supposed to be repaired but never seemed to have been at the problems persisted. Expect problems with this if you elect to stay there.

Overall the hotel was maybe okay, it certainly needed a lot of minor repairs which were obviously not going to get done. Maybe the refit of the hotel if comng soon. I doubt it.

Location wise the hotel was fine at the top of O'Connell street but as all the attractions are south of the river I would recomend you stay there. O'Connell Street is not a very pleasant place in the evenings.

There are much better hotels for the money they are charging.
Stay at your peril!!!

Northumberland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2005

Stayed at Cassidys for 2 nights in September. Arrived late, about 11.00pm but reception is 24 hours so no problem there. Room was great, double and single bed, lots of room and good bathroom. Headed for the bar which was reasonably priced with a very relaxed atmosphere.
Breakfast was excellent, cereals, hot buffet, bread rolls, ham, fruit, yoghurts, everything you could ask for! And with breakfast being served till 11.00am, no need to rush down.
Rooms were cleaned daily and towels replaced.
Straight out of the Hotel door your on the main street (which is noisy at night if your facing the road). We got a taxi from the airport and the airbus back which was ideal at 7 euro each (taxi was 20 euro)
A visit to the Zoo is well worth it (13 euro) but get there early (number 10 bus)
Nothing to complain about and would definietly recommend!

• Stayed September 2005

Been to Cassidys Hotel? Share your experiences!