“nightmare on O'Connel street” 1 of 5 stars

North Star Hotel - Premier Club Suites
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Amiens Street | Dublin 1, Dublin 1, Ireland   |
Ranked #51 of 177 hotels in Dublin
aberdeen scotland
“nightmare on O'Connel street”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2005

travel a lot all over the world and have to say this has been the worst stay,room facing main street,no a/c in tiny (could not swing a cat room)heating on full blast even after handyman from hotel "turned it off" if we opened windows we could not bear traffic and train noise outside constantly.tv controlled from where?room not hoovered for our 4 day stay,never again,the only saving grace was breakfast(nearly---cooked tomatoes cold-yuk!)oh and we had a man and woman walked in on us one night while we were sleeping,when we reported this we were told it could not happen as card keys are computer programmed!!!!!

• Stayed November 2005

1,290 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Turkish first
north wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2005

I found this hotel to be great value
the room was fine, staff and food excellent
will go again

• Stayed November 2005
Victoria Bc Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2005

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. Our main complaint was the distance from downtown, and we had to walk through an area that was a bit creepy for the last few blocks. (You wouldn't likely want to hang around this area or go to the pub in this hotel...it seemed kind of sad ..) Although, it was very close to Central train station, actually across the street. The food was fine (Irish breakfast), staff nice and place clean and up to grade. We did have to hoof up the stairs with bags to get to the reception area. Once there, a lift was available. The price was certainly good for the mid-week dates we booked on-line.

• Stayed September 2005
warrenpoint
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2005

last week my boyfriend and I booked a deal of 99 euros each to stay in this hotel, with an evening meal, bed and breakfast, and tickets to Riverdance in the Gaiety theatre. The room we stayed in was brillant. It was tastefully decorated and lovely and clean. the dinner in the restaurant that night was beautiful. The only reservation I could express here was the waiter, he was pleasant, however there was no real irish welcome, no chit chat at all. the show was absolutely fantastic. All in all we would certainly stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2005
glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2005

all i can say is this hotel was fantastic, we did have noise when we opened a window , that was coming from the construction site , we called reception , and 5 mins later someone had carried our bags to another part of the hotel , to a beautifull bedroom , very clean , coffee ect was allways stocked up, bathroom was beautiful, infact im planning to go back to the north star hotel for my honeymoon, couldnt ask for a better place , food was excellent too , staff very friendly and helpfull, all round it is a wonderfull hotel , i dont understand people saying , dont go there ,

• Stayed September 2004
Atlanta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2005

OK, I needed convenience to the train and bus stations to meet up with others and transfer to next part of trip, so I was willing to compromise some, but not this much. I had booked two short stays in advance--one via the hotel website and one via Laterooms.com, both similar rates, but one slightly better than the other for each time I wanted. I eventually cancelled the one through the hotel but had to email as link described for cancellation did not exist (cancel fee). The hotel website description lists amenities, including air conditioning, so I thought that would be the solution to the noise problem.

I showed up for my first night for the Laterooms Superior room reservation. I was given one of the front facing tiny, dingy rooms. No nonsmoking, no air conditioning, what is superior? I complained at desk and was told full house. Clerk said all rooms sold through booking agent are the old rooms with no air conditioning and that should be clear on the website. Air conditioned rooms, she said, are much more expensive.

I went to the nearby Internet cafe just to check that I remembered hotel amenities correctly from their website and there it said air conditioning and if you click on any room to reserve nothing is mentioned about air or not. Nowhere on website does it say "some" with air or a number with air or not or different rates. laterooms makes no mention one way or the other. So, back to reception and I plead my case (it was really hot in Dublin so even the locals were miserable). When I asked about the hotel website she said she would let marketing know that it doesn't mention that many rooms do not have air conditioning. She asked if I had used the room and I offered to pay a supplement to upgrade. Instead she just switched me to an airconditioned room at the back of the hotel facing the train line. With window closed and air on the noise was not too bad.

So, verify what room type you are getting directly with hotel and avoid old rooms if windows need to be opened (I heard street noise--DART was down that day so I don't know about train). Otherwise go for whatever they call the back rooms (not superior).

Didn't eat breakfast, but smelled burning toast everyday on staircase.
Didn't try gym.

Phone didn't work correctly--first found ringer turned off, but still husband couldn't get through--automatically went to voice mail and he was getting really worried, so I asked desk to ring and their call came through, so never resolved.

• Stayed June 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2005

Please do not stay here. The rooms are ok, only ok, and thats if you get a good one. We were initally placed in a room with damp on the walls, right next to the railway bridge- needless to say the noise and vibrations was horrendous. We had no sleep the first night, but quite enjoyed the breakfast - though how a bowl of cornflakes comprises a "continental" breakfast i do not know - where was the crossiants and fresh bread? After we complained, we were moved to a new room away from the rail noise, but were treated to a building site view instead! The staff were very poor in organising this and seemed very rude, and arrogant when we asked them to actually do their job. The following morning, we looked forward to breakfast again, but were told we had not already paid for it. On enquiring at the reception, we were told we had not paid for breakfast, only a room (we booked online, and assumed breakfast would be included in the high price). They had also then charged us around £16 for the two breakfasts we had the previous morning, without telling us!! We were certainly not the only people who had problems with them, as everytime we passed reception, someone else was complaining about their bill, and what they'd been charged for. The customer service at this hotel is very poor. It is not worth the risk to get a "good" room as even then you will have a building site noises (though these don't go on until 1am, and start again at 5am like the trains). The facilities in the room were adequate but the "satellite" tv, is not controllable by you, but by someone else. It is only one channel, that seemed to be changed every few mintues. All these problems really affected our holiday, and made us not want to go back to the hotel to sleep. Spend a little more and stay somewhere that will treat you with resepct and will be comfortable enough to not ruin your break.

• Stayed June 2005

Been to North Star Hotel - Premier Club Suites? Share your experiences!