“A great surprise” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #50 of 176 Hotels in Dublin
Wexford, Ireland
“A great surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I've stayed in a number of hotels in Dublin recently but this was far above the rest of them. The location is great as its across from Connolly train station and the bus station is just down the road. It've very close to O'Connell Street and Henry Street for shopping.The hotel is wonderfully decorated and it's so much bigger than it initially looks. I had my breakfast included which was great. It was a buffet with lots of hot food options such as eggs and sausages as well as cereal. I really enjoyed it both mornings. The only fault that I would complain about was that I could not for the life of me get the Wifi to work. It was included in my room rate but I think otherwise you have to pay for it. Most other hotels offer free wifi, no exception, and its a breeze to connect, I really think that this needs to be worked on. My room was facing the train tracks which could be a little noisy from 8am onwards but it didn't bother me. I also didn't like that they charged to keep my bag for the day after I checked out. Otherwise I had a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
NorthStarhotel, Manager at North Star Hotel - Premier Club Suites, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for choosing The North Star Hotel we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Rhona

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for the Beyonce concert and it was fab!! Staff v friendly, ESP the lil older man at the bar!! Great laugh! Rooms v clean and beds v comfortable.. We were a group of 4 girls and all loved it!

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Deborah922,

Great to read you and your friends had such a great weekend and enjoyed the concert, hopefully we can welcome you back for the next concert! Why not check our facebook page for regular concert competitions.

Farnborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on business with a colleague and whilst first impressions are ok there are definitely things that need addressing.
The reception gives a good impression and the staff were very welcoming. Our office had requested rooms higher up and away from the trains so as to be quieter but as the hotel was fully booked and we were given a room on the third floor facing a street at the back othe hotel. Also in what appears to be the smoking portion of the hotel as I could smell it in the corridors.
The rooms have been renovated although some of the furniture still looks a little dated. I had a small double bed and a single bed in my room and unfortunately the double was probably one of the worst mattresses I've slept on. There were two large depressions on either side of the bed and a ridge down the middle which made for a very uncomfortable nights sleep.
The main door to the room had a rather large gap at the bottom which allowed me to hear everything happening in the corridor with startling clarity as well as being able to transfer the smell of smoke from adjoining rooms with ease.
The bathroom unfortunately had mould in the grout between the tiles both on the floor and in the shower.
Breakfast in the hotel was good and the food at the buffet was nicely presented.
Lastly a word about the area. Myself and my female colleague were advised not to walk in the area at night. This came from a friend who lived in Dublin for 12 years and also from a business associate. We ended up getting taxis to and from dinner in the evening

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Timseels,

We do appreciate all feedback from our guests, I am disappointed that you were not completely satisfied with your stay with us and do hope you would allow us the opportunity to redeem ourselves in the near future.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Couldn't fault this accommodation at all. We only booked into a standard room and it was so much more than we expected, especially for the price! We were astonished that the hotel is only a 3 star. Staff were very friendly and happy to help - the concierge was lovely and advised us to go to a few places which we thoroughly enjoyed. The discounted 'hop-on, hop-off' bus tickets from the hotel made our stay more enjoyable as we were able to visit so many places such as the zoo, trinity college, the Guinness storehouse and many more. The breakfast was great value for money and there was a wide variety of choice. Just wish we had stayed for more than 2 nights.Thanks North Star!

Room Tip: Don't worry about the noise from the train station - we were right next to it and never heard a...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear beccig93,

Thank you for choosing The North Star Hotel for your recent trip to Dublin. You certainly managed to see quite a bit of Dublins' attractions during your visit. Hopefully you will have the opportunity to revisit in the near future, should you need any assistance in making your plans our concierge would be only too happy to help. Feel free to contact Kieran at concierge@northstarhotel.ie

Limerick, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I fly to the U.S. twice a year to visit family and often stay at this hotel before my flight or after arriving back to Ireland. The location is excellent and its close proximity to Busaras is a plus for me, as I have to use the bus system to return to Limerick City, where I live. It's also only a short walk to O'Connell Street or to the quays. There is an airport shuttle to and from the airport and it runs several times per day, which is a big plus for me. Breakfast was brought up to my room on one occasion because I had to check-out (for an early flight) before breakfast-serving time. There are some who might complain because of the noise the trains make (the hotel is situated across from Connolly Station) but if one is going to stay in a hotel across from a rail station, then one must expect there will be a little noise. However, I did not find the train sounds to be distracting at all and enjoyed my view of Connolly Station's Italianate clock tower. Though the hotel is older, the rooms are very comfortable, clean, and recently updated and refurbished -- including the bathrooms. There is no lift from the reception to the 1st floor, (though, there are lifts from the 1st floor to the other floors) but the concierge is on hand to help with bags. I've stayed at several Dublin hotels and this is by far my favorite.

Room Tip: I found that the rooms on the first floor are quieter -- also, the view is nicer.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for your comprehensive review and loyal custom, always a pleasure to read such pleasant comments from a regular guest. Delighted that you have always enjoyed your stay with us and our service. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future

Rhona.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Great hotel, great price, decent location ( we alked everywhere, about 20mins to temple bar area) Very clean and modern room, very spacious but the heating didint work ( but staff put heater in room) and the sound of the trains could somethines be annoying, but didnt affect our sleep, maybe the guiness helped with that!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
NorthStarhotel, Manager at North Star Hotel - Premier Club Suites, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Mteej,

Thank you for your review, we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon on your next visit to Dublin.

Donegal Town, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

The staff were friendly and helpful. Got upgraded to a better room at check in for no extra cost. Terrific room with balcony and good view. Extremely comfortable. Car park right beside hotel at €8 for the night was very handy. Easy walk to O'Connell Street. Opposite Connolly station(mainline and suburban trains) and close to Busaras(main bus station). Had two meals in the bar and the food was very good. We would definatly stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear BallyB100,

Thank you for your review, brilliant to read that our city center location was so convenient for your plans. Hoping to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Warm regards,
Rhona

Been to North Star Hotel - Premier Club Suites? Share your experiences!